Best HiFi iPhone Earbuds - Audiophile
Jul 3, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #16 of 22
Yes, this is why I decided not to go with them. I like your other idea though to buy some higend earphones and just replace the cable with one that has microphone and the remote (volume controls included).

Any idea what good combo of earphones and cable with microphone/volume control would be?

99% of cables have so similar resistance that it's not audible at all, whether it cost 10$ or 1000$ so don't believe in fairy tales that one will sound better than the other. So any cable you find for your earphone will most likely do the job 100% right, only thing you need to worry about is it's stiffness (if it's stiff cable and it's not worn over the ear but straight down from earphone it will produce noise when it hits your clothes while walking for example)...
Also when you're buying an earphone, check if it has version with mic, for example much praised (especially for the price) RHA MA750 has it's "i" version MA750i with the mic. And check with manufacturer if they sell cable with mic themselves, since that is probably the safest bet. 
Also due to your budget note that cables with mic rarely go under 20-30$, usually even more, so that can add over 10% to the price of the earphones, which might not be worth it sometimes... 

Can't be much of a help here I'm afraid... :/

Jul 4, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #20 of 22
Thanks for the tips! I might just do that and go for the UE900. I have read a tons of reviews about them now and beside the slight worry about their build quality (many people mention that they have contact problems with the cable) they really seem perfect.

Jul 4, 2015 at 5:09 AM Post #21 of 22
I have an imported UE900s (via HK based accessoryjack.com). It has the updated build, unlike the UE900/UE900s sold in EU/US and they're significantly cheaper than the MSRP for the UE900s in EU/US. The only downside might be that you have to pay import taxes on them, if you manage to avoid them it's a great deal.  My only gripe with them is that the cables are prone to tangling. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back