Best heavy-metal headphone w/ iPod?
Jan 31, 2005 at 9:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Lt_Core

100+ Head-Fier
Alright, $100-150 is my price range. I would like a closed, circumaural headphone for work, travel, not bugging my wife, etc. I listen to mostly heavy-metal, hard rock and punk rock.

I have a 30GB iPod (3rd generation) as my portable source. I currently own Koss Porta-Pros (iPod headphones) and Sennheiser HD497s (for PC gaming).

What benefits would I get from amping my iPod? Do most amps go through the headphone jack on an iPod or are there dock connector-type amps out there now for true line-out sound? Thanks!

Jan 31, 2005 at 10:43 PM Post #2 of 8
Well, from what I have seen. At that price you are best not buying an amp, becaus emost headphones in that range don't thing you would be using an amp. Basically, Grado SR-80 or SR-125 will do ya good. Great for Rock and no need to be amped.

Now, I have an Ipod. I tell a difference between Line-Out and headphoens jack with my Etys unamped. So, for an amp and maybe, possibly, those Grados you would need to use a Line-Out. Yes, there are some on Dock connectors, but if this is your portable rig I would just get a Line-Out Cable, so it isn't as big or bulky.

Now, this amp you speak of that would supposedly be a dock and an amp in one and would connect straight into the I/O port at ht ebottom fo the Ipod. Well, never heard of it. I odn't believe they make one.

Jan 31, 2005 at 10:45 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lt_Core
Alright, $100-150 is my price range. I would like a closed, circumaural headphone for work, travel, not bugging my wife, etc. I listen to mostly heavy-metal, hard rock and punk rock.

I have a 30GB iPod (3rd generation) as my portable source. I currently own Koss Porta-Pros (iPod headphones) and Sennheiser HD497s (for PC gaming).

What benefits would I get from amping my iPod? Do most amps go through the headphone jack on an iPod or are there dock connector-type amps out there now for true line-out sound? Thanks!

I know, I know. I am getting a little outside your range but try to get the BeyerDynamics DT770-80 (Closed) and you will be in heaven. You can find it used for less. If not, then the Grado line (SR125/ 225). These last are open. You cant go wrong with any of those.

Feb 1, 2005 at 6:53 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by TURBO
I know, I know. I am getting a little outside your range but try to get the BeyerDynamics DT770-80 (Closed) and you will be in heaven. You can find it used for less. If not, then the Grado line (SR125/ 225). These last are open. You cant go wrong with any of those.

I can't find a whole lot about the DT770-80. Headphone.com sells the DT770 Pro, but not the DT770-80, unless they're the same thing. Aren't the Grado's known for leakage and not very comfortable?

Feb 1, 2005 at 8:46 PM Post #6 of 8
Lt Core; I listen to hard rock and use the Sennheiser HD-25s, which can be found for about $150. They are closed, and sound good with hard rock, at least to me. I use them as my main portable headphone, but of course, they can be used at home. Ironically, you see the HD-25s on most (TV) announcers (albeit with a microphone attached) covering sporting events.

I like the HD-25s mucho, and also own the Grado 225s, and these Sennheisers are similar in terms of the overall sonic signature (the 225s are just better in every way). I like the HD-25s even more with my porta corda mk II. I use a sik din as my line out on my iPod 4G. Chef Medeski is right on here: You really need a line out to use your iPod with an amp.

The amp is not critical here, but the HD-25s do a good job with our music and meet much of your criteria. I believe, however, that they are supraural (on the ear) not circumaural (gong!).

good luck, - walkman666

Feb 6, 2005 at 5:53 AM Post #8 of 8
Thanks for all of the replies. I have the Senn HD497's which I use for PC gaming. I'm guessing that the HD280 Pro's stomp all over the 497's for rock music?

Walkman666 mentioned the HD-25s. I'm assuming that these are not the HD-25SP, correct? Do all of these headphones require an amp to sound better? I don't know much about amps, as my main audio source these days is my iPod. What is a good portable amp to get started with for my iPod?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back