BEST HEAVY METAL BANDS YOU PROBABLY NEVER HEARD OF !!!
Dec 16, 2002 at 1:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

SliPkNoT

I have been listening to bands like Slipknot and Mudvayne for a while now, and most likely, if you listen to metal music, you've heard of these bands. But there are some other bands as good as Mudvayne and Slipknot that I doubt you've heard of. I'm gonna leave death metal bands out of this list.

1. Hatebreed
You may have heard of Hatebreed now that they have gone to Universal Records from Victory because Universal is a much larger company. Hatebreed's new album "Perserverance" is definitely one of the best metal albums this year. Jamey Jasta (lead sing-or should I say screamer) definitely shows his screaming talents on this album. I'd give it a 8 out of ten only because some of the songs are really short.

2. Reveille
I don't know if you'd call the Boston-based group Reveille a heavy metal band. But they are definitely metal. If you like bands like Slipknot or Mudvayne, you'll like this bands music a lot.

3. In Flames
Anyone from Europe (note that I'm from the USA) probably have heard of In Flames. But people like me from the US are probably just hearing about this band that has actually been around for a long time. In Flames combines death metal like vocals with excellent rhymth with guitars. You have got to listen to them. They are very similar to Soilwork and Gardenian.

4. Diecast
I belive that Diecast is from Massachusetts, but either way they are really good. The lead singer- I forget his name- screams like crazy on their album. They are my new favorite band. You should hear the song "Singled Out".

5. Atreyu
I haven't heard many of their songs but they are rising stars. You can download the song "Someone's Standingon My Chest" on most P2P applications. Very good stuff.

I hate to make this post really long so I'll just list the last few bands. They are all really good:

6. Slaves on Dope
7. Dry Kill Logic
8. Dirt
9. Endo
10. Mortician

Please note: I said that I wouldn't list any death metal bands, but I had to mention Mortician. Mortician is known as the most brutal band in the universe. Go to their website to download most of their songs!!

Dec 16, 2002 at 2:49 AM Post #3 of 20
Slipknot and Mudvayne are metal?
confused.gif

These pop bands sure sound like Nu-Metal to me.
redface.gif

Dec 16, 2002 at 2:58 AM Post #4 of 20
OK- you're right. They may be nu-metal, but I think that it is safe to say that Slipknot is much more brutal than most other bands out there in the metal scene. Not to talk trash about European bands or anything, but I think that the entire "nu-metal" thing might just be another way for older metal listeners who are used to AC/DC and Ozzy Osbourne to try to make themselves not seem so old. I may be wrong though... afterall, slipknot is no Napalm Death or Cradle of Filth !!! Right??

Dec 16, 2002 at 3:07 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Slipknot is much more brutal than most other bands out there in the metal scene.

Ok, that's dumb.

I group Nu-Metal with Rap acts, since it's has more to do with Rap and Pop than Metal, just becuase it has guitars doesn't mean it's metal. Rap has nothing to do with metal.

I group Nu-metal and Rap with other pop acts like britney spears and the like.

Dec 16, 2002 at 3:30 AM Post #6 of 20
When I say what I said I am also talking about the lyrics. What do death metal bands like Napalm Death talk about? Death and hate. What does Slipknot talk about? Death (sometimes) and hate (always). I personally think that there are a lot of similarities between the two. Now, am I saying that I like "nu-metal" more than your definition of "metal". No- I like bands like Mortician, Nile, Cattle Decaptitation, Dimmu Borgir, etc. more than I do Slipknot and Mudvayne.

I definitely agree with you on the point that you could very easily group Slipknot and others like them with pop because as both of us know, they have definitely "sold out". Bands like In Flames, Gardenian, Opeth, Cradle of Filth, etc. will probably always be better!

Dec 16, 2002 at 4:01 AM Post #7 of 20
Maybe I should change the list. OK here's a different list:

1. Dillinger Escape Plan
2. Eyehategod
3. Helmet
4. Nile
5. Cattle Decapitation
6. Berzerker
7. Yattering
8. Morbid Angel (you better have heard of them!!!)
9. The Red Chord

Dec 16, 2002 at 8:50 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by SliPkNoT
Maybe I should change the list. OK here's a different list:

1. Dillinger Escape Plan
3. Helmet

These aren't really Metal are they? Dillinger Escape Plan is just strange, and Helmet isn't really a full on metal. I guess it might be an alternative metal of sorts, but it's like a jazz oriented metal. One of my favorite acts of all time though admitadly.

Also, i forget the band you mentioned off hand, but Manowar is generally considered to be the most extreme band out there.

They were in the Guiness Book as the "loudest band in the world"

Bill

Dec 16, 2002 at 12:30 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by SPLASTiK
I've heard of all of those bands, the only one I like is In Flames, didnt care too much for Reroute to Remain though.

Have to agree with you here, In Flames is the cream of the crop from SliP's list.

I can see the SliP is a Nu- Metal man (which I don't like) but I have to encourage his active participation in the music thread which is commendable.

SliP did "mention" Dimmu Bogir in one post if that indicates his other musical tastes he has real potential, heh heh
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 16, 2002 at 2:46 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

I agree about Reroute to Remain. It isn't that great, but their album "Clayman" was awesome.

Ref. "Reroute to Remain - It isn't that great"... that's a gross understatement... IMO at least
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 16, 2002 at 3:14 PM Post #14 of 20
Prior to newest "reroute" Cd I don't find a big difference between any of the In Flames Cds, top choice would have to go to Jester Race/Black Ash if you could have only one.

Reroute to Remain does mark a slightly new direction, I still like this Cd since the basic intensity/artistic integrity remains intact.

Dec 16, 2002 at 7:19 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

2. Reveille
I don't know if you'd call the Boston-based group Reveille a heavy metal band. But they are definitely metal. If you like bands like Slipknot or Mudvayne, you'll like this bands music a lot.

When I listened to Reveille, it reminded me more of a bad... very bad, Rage Against the Machine. I'll probably get a lot of heat for this one but they way I heard it, the basic song structure throughout was pretty similar. They even have these breakdowns where, in RATM, something semi-pertinent would be said but in place, there's just some pseudo-anarchist gibberish... hmm, to some, it may seem that I'm just describing RATM. Oh well, give Reveille a listen if you dare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back