Best Headset and setup I can get for Competitive Fps
Feb 2, 2014 at 9:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

kirayamato

New Head-Fier
hi guys i am really into gaming i play cod etc i like listening to music but it is not prioty i would rather have a wider sound stage then a bit better sounding music basically just looking for the best of the best in for competitive sound

My current setup
Senheiser Pc360
fioo E9
Sound Blaster X-fi SB460 Extreme Music

Details
I am using a senheiser PC360 absolutely love it but its worn out i had to get the cable replaced twice as i broke it and had to get it fixed now it doesn't have the same bass response it had in the beginning etc so that is the reason i want to change it i am very much considering just to replace it with another pc 360 as the cable mess of was my fault and it was nothing wrong with the build quality and such with it i run it on an internal Sound blaster SB460 extreme music i know its not the best but its way better than my internal sound and gives me virtual 7.1 with my senheisers i really it compared to stereo the amplifer i got in like a month or so before like it but i could be going for something better if its avaiable

Budget: i am completely willing to spend whatever it is to get the best obviously nothing above 1k dollars tho unless its really worth it for the whole setup

Personally i really love the pc360 but wanted to get some opinions heard about the akg etc but would really like some body well knowledged to help me out here
also remember i want to upgrade the sound card and amplifier aswell as i definitely know my current sound card isn't the greatest its like a 2007 model XD ty

Games i play our mostly cod and mobas sometimes single players but thats not prioty but i do play them competitively especially cod so want the best out there

Ty
regards

Feb 3, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #2 of 10
this thread is your best friend and lover, though keep in mind that the whole review is based on using dolby headphone with the mixamp on consoles: 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-1-27-2014-monster-dna-pro-added-edits

In general, competitive gaming = headphones with big soundstage and good imaging. Open headphones tend to excel in this area.
If you want to be a monster, look for headphones like the akg q701/k702, sennheiser hd598, sony ma-900. (and if you want to be godlike as all hell, then look into sennheiser hd800, though it's way over your budget for sure.)

Though i dont know anything about the pc360, it got a pretty good rating on the link i provided, just pointing it out.

Feb 3, 2014 at 1:38 AM Post #3 of 10
  hi guys i am really into gaming i play cod etc i like listening to music but it is not prioty i would rather have a wider sound stage then a bit better sounding music basically just looking for the best of the best in for competitive sound

My current setup
Senheiser Pc360
fioo E9
Sound Blaster X-fi SB460 Extreme Music

Details
I am using a senheiser PC360 absolutely love it but its worn out i had to get the cable replaced twice as i broke it and had to get it fixed now it doesn't have the same bass response it had in the beginning etc so that is the reason i want to change it i am very much considering just to replace it with another pc 360 as the cable mess of was my fault and it was nothing wrong with the build quality and such with it i run it on an internal Sound blaster SB460 extreme music i know its not the best but its way better than my internal sound and gives me virtual 7.1 with my senheisers i really it compared to stereo the amplifer i got in like a month or so before like it but i could be going for something better if its avaiable

Budget: i am completely willing to spend whatever it is to get the best obviously nothing above 1k dollars tho unless its really worth it for the whole setup

Personally i really love the pc360 but wanted to get some opinions heard about the akg etc but would really like some body well knowledged to help me out here
also remember i want to upgrade the sound card and amplifier aswell as i definitely know my current sound card isn't the greatest its like a 2007 model XD ty

Games i play our mostly cod and mobas sometimes single players but thats not prioty but i do play them competitively especially cod so want the best out there

Ty
regards

Don't buy headset, get a headphone in this case, i recommend either audiotechnica AD-700X or AD-900X. These are open cans and while it means you can hear whatever happenning around you, it has better soundstage. for mic, you can just get a mod mic or a stand alone mic. for DAC / AMP, you can get JDS lab O2 AMP+DAC or other DAC / AMP (I don't know a lot about DAC / AMP)

Feb 3, 2014 at 5:41 AM Post #4 of 10
Good open headphones for gaming:

AKG: K612 pro, K701/702, Q701
Audio Technica: AD700x, AD900x
Sennheiser: 558, 598, 600, 650
Beyerdynamic: DT880, DT990

Feb 3, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #5 of 10
Q701

$200, and just insanely good soundstage.

K702 are probably better in the soundstage/comfort department (since they don't have the bumps on the headband) but they cost $245

Overall, AKG is your best bet for soundstage with great comfort (Hate AT's stupid wing headband thing.)

Feb 5, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #6 of 10
well i saw the guide but its pretty much 9.5 on the pc360 and none our a 10 really the one that is i don't think is avaiable or is it? can someone give me a link to a headset or headphone better than the pc360 i forgot to mention i also prefer open ear headset like the pc360 which is the best of the best and what would be a good sound card to go with it for best virtual surround
also @
  1. b0000 you mentioned the Senheiser hd800 i would be interested in it if it really is the best i can get for competitive but that isn't in the guide and i haven't seen a review for it related to gaming ? also the q701 and k702 seem nice but are they better than the pc360? i have that right now but it is more than 2-3 years old and as mentioned really needs to be replaced by either a new one or preferrably a better headset if possible

Feb 5, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #7 of 10
The akg is a good gaming headphone because it's very detailed and has a big soundstage. The hd800 though, is much better, and if you look around you'll see why the hd800 is the detail/soundstage king, which is why it will definitely be better for gaming. However, if you look at mad lust envy's guide, i think the akg will be enough imo. But, since i have both headphones, i'd definitely pick the hd800 over the akg's any day. In fact, i haven't touched the akg's since i got my hd800. It's that much better. It all depends on your budget and if the law of diminishing returns matters to you. (meaning that even though the hd800 is 6x more expensive, it's not 6x better, it's all subjective of course)

Aug 6, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #8 of 10
Which sound card + amp do you have for your HD800 headphones? I'm thinking of purchasing either the AKG q701 or the HD800, and I want the best sound card and amp for this setup. My only desire with these headphones is a proper sound stage and sound pinpointing in fps games (hearing subtle things very clearly and hearing the direction very accurately).

Aug 7, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #9 of 10
  Which sound card + amp do you have for your HD800 headphones? I'm thinking of purchasing either the AKG q701 or the HD800, and I want the best sound card and amp for this setup. My only desire with these headphones is a proper sound stage and sound pinpointing in fps games (hearing subtle things very clearly and hearing the direction very accurately).

I'm going to guess the HD800 will not offer any advantages for headphone surround sound (FPS gaming) over the AKG Q701.
I would think the Massdrop (AKG) K7XX is a better value, over the Q701.

Aug 8, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #10 of 10
I'm going to guess the HD800 will not offer any advantages for headphone surround sound (FPS gaming) over the AKG Q701.
I would think the Massdrop (AKG) K7XX is a better value, over the Q701.

I agree. Probably wouldn't get much benefit if any by spending the extra money on the HD800.

Now, if you think you might find yourself getting into music with a good pair of headphones, then it would make much more sense to spend the extra money. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back