Best headphones without use of amp?
Sep 24, 2009 at 5:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

smokeydabear123

New Head-Fier
Im looking for the best headphones I can buy without an amp to use with my ipod/iphone and listen to hip-hop mostly but all music. I was looking at akg, sennhieser, and grado but im open to anything. trying to stay under $400-500.

Sep 24, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #2 of 20
Audio Technica Headphones suit your needs
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 24, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #3 of 20
The Grado RS-1 are tough to beat out of an iPod. They look a little goofy and require a retermination or an adapter, but man they sound sweet.

Sep 24, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #7 of 20
thanks alot, the responses are greatly appreciated. So it sound like its between the Audio Technica or the grado rs-1, any notable differences between the two? with the grado rs-1, where can i find the adapter? Would it make a difference if i wanted to use one of these also while im making music in pro tools/reason on my mac, i currently listen through my mackie hr824 monitors..

Sep 24, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #8 of 20
I've never listened to the RS-1, but I'd make sure that they sound good with hip-hop before considering purchasing them.

Also, I notice that you don't have many posts... which means that i can't be sure how much you know about any specific brand.
RS-1, and ATH's don't necessarily have alot of bass, and if you're a basshead you may want to look elsewhere.
It's my observsation that many hip-hop fans are bassheads >_>

Sep 24, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #9 of 20
The RS-1 would not be very good for monitoring, not sure about the ATH's though. For that, monitor speakers are the best, then AKG K701/702 or Sennheiser HD650, but both of those need good amplification.

If you're liking the Grado's, I'd recommend trying to find 'em used.

Sep 24, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by smokeydabear123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks alot, the responses are greatly appreciated. So it sound like its between the Audio Technica or the grado rs-1, any notable differences between the two? with the grado rs-1, where can i find the adapter? Would it make a difference if i wanted to use one of these also while im making music in pro tools/reason on my mac, i currently listen through my mackie hr824 monitors..

If you buy the RS1i new, it includes the adaptor and an extension cord.

- Ed

Sep 24, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spraj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ATH-AD2000

You tried unamped AD2000 vs amped ones?

Hope you don't make the move on unamping AD2000s... D:
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back