Best headphones when Isolation is issue #1?
Mar 12, 2010 at 3:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Chu

1000+ Head-Fier
I work as a programmer in possibly the worst environment. I am surrounded by people who need to talk all day as part of their job, with TVs on in the background that need to be on.

I also cannot stand the physical comfort of IEMs.

I am looking for the headphones with the best possible isolation with decent sound quality -- without an amp. The last time I was around the GMP 8.35 D's seemed to be the best fit, but it was hard to shake the FOTM feeling from the thread.

Are these still the best option? I am willing to give up a lot for any better degree of isolation. My budget is around $400 but can bring more to the table if necessary.

Mar 12, 2010 at 3:50 AM Post #4 of 22
Unfortunately comparing isolation of different phones is really hard to do. Most people on head-fi only comment about isolation in the abstract (except for IEMs) and specs can be hard to find. Finding stores that have a wide enough selection to do a direct comparison would be almost impossible.

What I'm really hoping is that someone around here has already been down this path and what the results were. I'd love to get direct comparisons of any phones mentioned in this thread.

Oh, and in case I didn't make it clear, the frequencies I have to block out are pretty much all human voices.

Mar 12, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #5 of 22
HD280s (HD380s)

I use these are work because my HD595s are in the shop for repair.

At normal listening volumes I have missed my phone several times, and I cannot tell if people in the hallway are talking unless they are talking at above average volumes.

Mar 12, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #8 of 22
I have a pair of Sennheiser HD280's and they isolate very well when listening at mid-low volume. They are not the most comfortable can though (high clamping force). Also the Ultrasone HFI-780's isolate well (I'd say a little less than the HD280's) but again some have an issue with comfort.

Mar 12, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #9 of 22
I use my ATH-M50 at work, and at my listening levels cant hear anyone around me, altho im not sure how they compare to the other headphones listed

Mar 12, 2010 at 5:56 AM Post #10 of 22
+1 on ATH-M50 at work. At medium to high levels they block out voices, no problem. And it seems that my colleagues don't hear at all what I'm listening to. Namely I'm rocking out to John Sykes, and they assume it must be a gentle Bach Gigue.

Sorry I can't compare to other choices.

Mar 12, 2010 at 5:56 AM Post #11 of 22
K271++; I'm in similar circumstances, though working in a lab around lots of fans instead of voices. Isolation was the reason I bought the K271's.
ATH-A700's did pretty well as well, but the K271's did better for the size of my head.

Mar 12, 2010 at 6:01 AM Post #12 of 22
Btw Headphone.com (Head Room) has a bunch of specs related to a fair amount of headphones, one of which is isolation.
Sennheiser's PXC (noise cancelling) line also might interest you.

Mar 12, 2010 at 6:41 AM Post #13 of 22
The HD-280 and even the M-50 are a good price, but they're not comfortable at all. Actually, the HD-280 is a nightmare headphone for me that I can't wear for more than 5 minutes. Maybe it's just me with my huge head, though.
happy_face1.gif

Mar 12, 2010 at 7:08 AM Post #14 of 22
get IEMs and deal with the comfort. More likely than not, there is a pair out there that will be comfortable for you

if thats completely impossible, sennheiser hd25-i have the best isolation in any headphone ive ever come across

Mar 12, 2010 at 7:58 AM Post #15 of 22
If soundquality and comfort aren't #2 and 3 on your wishlist: Beyerdynamic DT770M, designed for drummers/loud stage work. Isolation is 35dB, but it's clamping force is really high.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back