Best headphones under $90
May 21, 2007 at 4:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

andrus

New Head-Fier
I have $90 for some new headphones to use for my guitar amp, listening to my zune at home (have Vibes for portability already) and through a sound system I plan to get for my computer (nice sound card, receiver). I was going to get the HD-280s but I saw here that the sound is kind of "boring"? Is that true or should I get them anyway? My main criteria are their comfort as I'll be wearing them for long periods of time. Second most important is sound quality and then sound isolation (which I don't really need at all). Any suggestions?

May 21, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #3 of 36
Can you give some more info on that? I searched ms1 and didn't get anything about headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

never mind I suck at google

Hmm... apparently they aren't too comfortable. I'll keep it in mind though.

May 21, 2007 at 4:55 AM Post #4 of 36
search it right here.............there is an official thread for it.
don't worry about comfort too much...........i own one and the comfort issue is allile bit exagerated their quite comfy in my opinion. there are also mods such as bending the headband outward.

good luck............SORRY ABOUT YOUR WALLET
AN ADVICE FOR THE WISE......GET THE MS1 AND GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE
YOU'LL THNK ME
smily_headphones1.gif

May 21, 2007 at 5:12 AM Post #5 of 36
I'm considering it.. I don't like a few things though: having to buy it from an iffy site, it's looks and not having premier comfort.

Any others I should look at?

Keep in mind that I don't NEED to have the absolute best sound in the price range. Other factors are important too.

May 21, 2007 at 5:13 AM Post #6 of 36
Comfort for me is a big thing. I didn't bother to stretch it out, but it wasn't comfortable for me at least. The plastic is too close to my ears and my upper ear hurt. But I do agree with the guitar part, MS1s are great for that. But if you can't stretch out to $99, get the SR-60s, although the comfort is just the same.

May 21, 2007 at 5:40 AM Post #7 of 36
no doubt Grados! But some Foss KSC5 won't hurt too.

May 21, 2007 at 5:54 AM Post #8 of 36
i would recommend the alessandro ms1 too! no it is not true that it has comfort issues. and, if you are planning on using them for a long time period, I would not recommend the hd 280 pro. they get really hot (because they are closed, i think) after 30 minutes of use. and it is false that they are boring.

May 21, 2007 at 6:11 AM Post #9 of 36
I consider the SR-60 to be the best headphone under $100. I've been enjoying mine on a daily bases for over 8 months now.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 21, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #10 of 36
Comfort of Grado/Alessandros' is a very subjective thing. I have probably the worse comfort variety currently available: The heavy aluminum-housing MS2i with "bowl" pads and I managed to get in a fourteen hour listening marathon late last year with no permanent damage at all.

It really varies from individual to individual.

....ok....maybe the MS2i/SR-325i with reversed bowls is more uncomfortable.
plainface.gif

EDIT: Surprisingly; I find my MS-1 with reversed-and-modded HD414 pads to be slightly more comfortable than my HD600!
600smile.gif

May 21, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #11 of 36
So http://www.alessandro-products.com/headphones.html is the only place I can buy the MS1s from? Does it have free shipping and does it tax in CA? I can't find it anywhere on the site without putting all my info in.

If not I'll go for them. If they do, I'll get the SR-60's. Is there really a big difference between the two though?

The one thing I'm REALLY worried about is the cloth pads which I really hate. They used to always make my ears hot when I used cheapy headphones but apparently the HD280s are the ones that do that even with their leather pads? By the way I don't think I'm going to be modding them or anything.

May 21, 2007 at 10:16 PM Post #12 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by andrus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So http://www.alessandro-products.com/headphones.html is the only place I can buy the MS1s from? Does it have free shipping and does it tax in CA? I can't find it anywhere on the site without putting all my info in.

If not I'll go for them. If they do, I'll get the SR-60's. Is there really a big difference between the two though?

The one thing I'm REALLY worried about is the cloth pads which I really hate. They used to always make my ears hot when I used cheapy headphones but apparently the HD280s are the ones that do that even with their leather pads? By the way I don't think I'm going to be modding them or anything.

Yes, THAT is the mighty place to buy them!

Yes, for the price you see there ($99 for the MS-1) you get FREE worldwide posting

NO, TOTALLY NO!! forget everything you may had heard! MS-1 IS THE HEADPHONE for this price! there's no comparison! although MS-1 is rather similar to SR60 (or 80 or 125) (looks!!!) if you digg some in here you can find all sort of people JUST LOVING MS-1. There's also one thread for a poll for MS-1; SR60; HD555 [if i'm not mistaken... well who cares, MS-1 tool the hell of it with about 70% of the votes..
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
]

So, ORDER TODAY your MS-1 and be ansious and sad for the time till they arive!

Yes, they do my ears hot, BUT i dont mind! i've THE SOUND in my ears, what else could matter???
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Go for it! You will not regret 1 cent fo it!!

Cheers!

May 21, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #13 of 36
May 21, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #14 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by andrus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

you can get bowl pads, hd414 pads, the reverse of those, quarter modded comfies, flats
you can also add liberators to have twice as many combos!

grados are fun fun fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back