BEST HEADPHONES UNDER $400
May 16, 2016 at 7:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

DMTwisted

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, I'm not an audio expert at all I'm just a dude looking for some headphones. I need something I can use anywhere from planes to casual listening at home.

My criteria is :
-great bass for listening to deep house but great treble for classical music and female vocals.
-CLOSED BACK

-Doest require amp or DAC

- Sounds lovely and exciting ( that is very important to me)

-great sound stage

- sound that blows you away

Overall, I'm most concerned about the sound and I want something that will blow me away.

So far I'm going with the OPPO pm3 however I've heard they don't sound exciting and rather boring.

PLEASE SUGGEST ME SOME HEADPHONES GUYS

THANKS

May 16, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #2 of 18
Hi guys, I'm not an audio expert at all I'm just a dude looking for some headphones. I need something I can use anywhere from planes to casual listening at home.

My criteria is :
-great bass for listening to deep house but great treble for classical music and female vocals.
-CLOSED BACK

-Doest require amp or DAC

- Sounds lovely and exciting ( that is very important to me)

-great sound stage

- sound that blows you away

Overall, I'm most concerned about the sound and I want something that will blow me away.

So far I'm going with the OPPO pm3 however I've heard they don't sound exciting and rather boring.

PLEASE SUGGEST ME SOME HEADPHONES GUYS

THANKS

I think you will have an easier time finding IEMs that fit this criteria since you want to use them on a plane, which as you know is very noisy. That said, I think for easy to drive headphones with an exciting sound and yet still good treble it is hard to beat the Meze 99 Classics.

May 16, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #3 of 18
If a nondetachable coiled cable isn't a deal-breaker for you, the Yamaha HPH-MT220 would be my choice.

The Focal Spirit Professional is decent too, but has serious build quality and comfort issues, and the sound isn't nearly as good.

Like the last poster said, you may be better off with in-ear headphones due to your portability requirements.

May 17, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #4 of 18
I think you will have an easier time finding IEMs that fit this criteria since you want to use them on a plane, which as you know is very noisy. That said, I think for easy to drive headphones with an exciting sound and yet still good treble it is hard to beat the Meze 99 Classics.

How do they compare to the OPPO pm3's ?

May 17, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #5 of 18
If a nondetachable coiled cable isn't a deal-breaker for you, the Yamaha HPH-MT220 would be my choice.

The Focal Spirit Professional is decent too, but has serious build quality and comfort issues, and the sound isn't nearly as good.

Like the last poster said, you may be better off with in-ear headphones due to your portability requirements.

How do they compare to the OPPO pm-3's ?

May 17, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #6 of 18
You've started four nearly identical threads, each time essentially asking the same thing.

Here

Here

Here

And now here

In every thread, you've indicated you're about to pull the trigger on the PM-3.

Why don't you stop soliciting opinions/starting threads and just order it? That's the only way you're going to finally know if you like it or not. And OPPO has a hassle-free 30-day trial period, so plenty of time to form your opinion without feeling rushed.

May 17, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #8 of 18
You've started four nearly identical threads, each time essentially asking the same thing.

Here

Here

Here

And now here

In every thread, you've indicated you're about to pull the trigger on the PM-3.

Why don't you stop soliciting opinions/starting threads and just order it? That's the only way you're going to finally know if you like it or not. And OPPO has a hassle-free 30-day trial period, so plenty of time to form your opinion without feeling rushed.

Yeah I guess your right

May 19, 2016 at 4:03 AM Post #11 of 18
The Fostex Th-X00 checks just about every box that you want. It is a closed back headphone that has outstanding bass, does not need an amp since it is only 25 ohms (although an amp would only help the sound), has a lovely and exciting sound, and should blow you away! Things you might not like are that the sound stage is not very large, it is intimate, although pretty much every closed headphone lacks a big sound stage. These shoot the amazing sound directly into your ears. Something else you might not like about it the very thick and long non-detachable cable. It has a 10 foot cable which would be cumbersome especially if you want to travel with it. These are a very fun headphone that I have demoed and hope to own one day. You can buy them now on Massdrop for $399.99 although it might take a few weeks to get to you.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00?mode=guest_open

May 19, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #12 of 18
The Fostex Th-X00 checks just about every box that you want. It is a closed back headphone that has outstanding bass, does not need an amp since it is only 25 ohms (although an amp would only help the sound), has a lovely and exciting sound, and should blow you away! Things you might not like are that the sound stage is not very large, it is intimate, although pretty much every closed headphone lacks a big sound stage. These shoot the amazing sound directly into your ears. Something else you might not like about it the very thick and long non-detachable cable. It has a 10 foot cable which would be cumbersome especially if you want to travel with it. These are a very fun headphone that I have demoed and hope to own one day. You can buy them now on Massdrop for $399.99 although it might take a few weeks to get to you.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00?mode=guest_open

I was about to get them when I realised the shipping date is September 16 2016 :sob:

May 19, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #13 of 18
Oh really? Dang, that sucks. I had read that some were shipping out the beginning of June so I had my hopes up. That's the one problem with Massdrop. If you can wait it'd be awesome, but I know that'd be difficult for me. It's still possible you could find a used pair somewhere.

May 19, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #14 of 18
I was about to get them when I realised the shipping date is September 16 2016 :sob:

Shipping date is IMMEDIATELY after the drop ends for the first 600 participants...there are currently 476 participants. I cancelled my order last night, have the Purplehearts "on order" and decided will wait for them and not worry about what the sound difference is between the two woods - I'm also currently modding my Denon AH-D2000's. Rather than the two TH-X00's, would rather get an open, somewhat more critical headphone in place of one of the X00's. Was thinking of the Hi-FiMAN HE-350's initially, but Z's opinion swayed me to the AKG K7XX (in Black) based on what I'm looking for (and they weigh next to nothing compared to the HE-350's!) and also I ordered the Philips SHP9500 off Amazon last night as well because of Z...so cheap yet so capable! I'm liking the sound of the Fostex T50RP MkIII i recently picked up, they are just a literal pain to wear (even with Shure 1840 velour pads)...the AKG K7XX and Philips SHP9500 will likely be it's replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back