Best headphones under $400?
Mar 13, 2012 at 2:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

2004gts

New Head-Fier
I've used my fair share of headphones around $200-$300 and I'm looking to make the price jump to hopefully get something a little bit better. I like how Audio Technica M50's sound, but I'm looking for something a little bit better. When I say better, I mean it in regards to build quality, sound quality, bass, mids, highs, etc. I love bass, but it seems as if all of the headphones that I've used either don't have enough of it or it makes everything else sound muddy.

Sound canceling would be nice, but I know that it generally adds an irritating "noise" to everything.

Here are the models that I've been looking at. Any help would be appreciated.

Sennheiser PXC 450
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PXC-450-Noise-Canceling-Headphones/dp/B000R2PC2M/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1331662865&sr=1-1

Sennheiser MM550
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-MM-550-Travel-Noise-Cancellation/dp/B003WV38GM/ref=sr_1_13?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1331663273&sr=1-13

AKG K701

AKG Q701

Mar 13, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #2 of 3
I suggest considering Denon AH-D2000.

If you have an amp than consider Beyer's DT 990 (250 Ohm) as well. Finally with a proper amp if you can get the Sennheiser HD 650 (open headphone) for $ 350 it will also be nice.

But it all depends on the equipment that you listen music on.

Personally I think that for bassheads (bass lovers) one of the best options is computer sound card with an amp or all in one solution like ASUS Xonar ST/STX, Creative Titanium HD etc. If you try AIMP or WMP equalizers teamed up with Xonar equalizer software, regarding the bass and the highs, the drivers of most headphones may make a hole in the ears (or in the headphones :))

Mar 13, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #3 of 3

Quote:
I suggest considering Denon AH-D2000.

If you have an amp than consider Beyer's DT 990 (250 Ohm) as well. Finally with a proper amp if you can get the Sennheiser HD 650 (open headphone) for $ 350 it will also be nice.

But it all depends on the equipment that you listen music on.

Personally I think that for bassheads (bass lovers) one of the best options is computer sound card with an amp or all in one solution like ASUS Xonar ST/STX, Creative Titanium HD etc. If you try AIMP or WMP equalizers teamed up with Xonar equalizer software, regarding the bass and the highs, the drivers of most headphones may make a hole in the ears (or in the headphones :))

I'm more of a fan of closed headphones due to the lack of sound leakage (In/out). 

Is there anything out there that has a similar sound signature to Audio Technica M50's, but offer noise cancellation, look a little bit better, and have a slightly higher sound quality? Bluetooth would be nice, but they all seem pricey and/or low quality. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back