Best Headphones under $400 (Certain Criteria)
May 28, 2015 at 9:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

OfficialRosche

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,
This is my first post so I'm entirely new to the whole Head-Fi scene. I'm actually very invested in Hip/Hop production, management and marketing and simply the genre itself so I was looking for a better pair of headphones. I listen to a lot of Chance the Rapper and "lighter" rap with not terribly heavy bass. I'm currently on Beats Pro's which I'm dying to get rid of and was looking at a BeoPlay H6's or HiFiMan's wwith a FiiO E10k or NX2? I hate the fact that the HiFiMan are open backs but I also am not sure how I like the BeoPlays being "On-Ear". I know that FiiO is by no-means the best amp but it apparently gets the job done. I know this could annoy some forum members but the aesthetics of the headphones do matter to me. Its simply a personal preference so no P7's or "Bose" bland looks please. It just needs to be a very clean looking headphone. At the end of the day I just want some High Performing Headphones but as of now I guess my question is would the BeoPlay H6 work for what I'm trying to get?
Cheers
(Its worth noting I'm not a bass head, I just want a bass that will do my songs justice on the low end)

May 29, 2015 at 3:10 AM Post #2 of 9
I know this could annoy some forum members but the aesthetics of the headphones do matter to me. Its simply a personal preference so no P7's or "Bose" bland looks please.

Well, it's not so much annoying as just impossible to predict someone's aesthetic preferences and then offer recommendations.

I'd recommend looking into the Yamaha Pro 500. They do have good bass :)

May 29, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #3 of 9
JVC Sz2000, with the E10k you'll get all the bass you'll ever want.

May 29, 2015 at 5:40 AM Post #4 of 9
I'm currently on Beats Pro's which I'm dying to get rid of and was looking at a BeoPlay H6's with a FiiO E10k?
--- I know this could annoy some forum members but the aesthetics of the headphones do matter to me. Its simply a personal preference so no P7's or "Bose" bland looks please. At the end of the day I just want some High Performing Headphones

That still doesn't tell us what kind of aesthetics appeals to you, especially when we won't normally put the H6 and P7 (and the equivalent Bose) in separate piles if we were doing it by aesthetic qualities alone. If grey and blue B&W and Bose are bland, then would a screaming green AKG work for your aesthetic requirements?

May 29, 2015 at 6:53 AM Post #5 of 9
That still doesn't tell us what kind of aesthetics appeals to you, especially when we won't normally put the H6 and P7 (and the equivalent Bose) in separate piles if we were doing it by aesthetic qualities alone. If grey and blue B&W and Bose are bland, then would a screaming green AKG work for your aesthetic requirements?

+1

My teenage son would LOVE these because of the green (although he would not like the bass roll off). :)

May 29, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #6 of 9

Haha I think I might have misspoke when describing the bland "Aesthetics". They don't have to be flashy by any means just have a nice design and clean looking over all. I think the BeoPlay H6 is a pretty good portrayal of what I'm looking for

May 29, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #7 of 9
  Haha I think I might have misspoke when describing the bland "Aesthetics". They don't have to be flashy by any means just have a nice design and clean looking over all. I think the BeoPlay H6 is a pretty good portrayal of what I'm looking for

(Its worth noting I'm not a bass head, I just want a bass that will do my songs justice on the low end)

AKG K550, Focal Spirit Pro/Classic

May 30, 2015 at 1:47 AM Post #9 of 9
  If I was to run them through a NX2 Amp which would be better? BeoPlay H6 or the Spirit Classics?

Hard to say, I haven't even seen the H6 in person let alone listen to them, however if you're after neutrality the Spirit Classic and Pro are very good. Isolation is nice too - I was at the last HiFi show listening to the Classic with my SGS3 and the Focal HT system was showing Battleship (that one with Rhianna in it, where a WW2-era battleship goes up against an alien mothership or something), and for a headphone it's surprisingly good. No sure how that holds up as the earpads wear out though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back