Best headphones under 275
Apr 30, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #2 of 12
Shure 840's fit your criteria, i.e., closed for isolation and have a removable cable and mine were quite a bit less than $275, about $130 at the time. I am sure there are others out there for consideration. They are my only set that I have ever owned, so I have no basis for comparisons with other headphones. I think they are a nice fit (for me).

I'm an older person and listen to them via my laptop for occasional listening while my wife watches tv. I find them comfortable, altough they are a bit large and somewhat bulky. I sit in one place and don't move around with them. They sound good to me, but you will have to get reviews from others on their sound.

g. luck

May 1, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #5 of 12

Quote:
trying to maximize sound for my budget do you think the 940's are worth the upgrade?
or is it better to get the 840's and then an amp?

In this price range of closed cans, you are very limited in your choices without a amp.  Sans amp, the Shure SRH 840 and 940 will probably be OK (but it's close--and they might not be OK with your particular device) and the Ultrasone HiFi 780.

May 1, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
Title says it all
good isolation is key, and a removable cable would be nice

Heya,

Take a look at:

AKG K550
Denon D2000
Beyer DT770
Shure SRH840 & 750DJ
Ultrasone PRO 650 & 750
Brainwavz HM5 (or Fischer Audio FA-003)
AudioTechnica A900X
M-Audio Q40

Note: SRH940 lacks bass in a very serious way, it will not sound right if you're listening to anything with any work being done in mid-bass & even some sub-bass.

Very best,

May 2, 2012 at 6:53 AM Post #8 of 12
Still havent said what you will be using them for, what sources you have, amping, and musical preferences

May 2, 2012 at 8:25 AM Post #9 of 12
Sorry WiR3D
Will be used outside, at home, just everywhere....
I use a Samsung P2, and laptop with a horrible sound card... no amps yet and I listen to rap, hip hop 
I have a total budget of 275 including any amps...

May 2, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:
Sorry WiR3D
I use a Samsung P2, and laptop with a horrible sound card... no amps yet and I listen to rap, hip hop 

V-moda M80, done deal, and get a cheap Fiio dac for the laptop

May 2, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:
Sorry WiR3D

Based on what you're listening to and your needs:

M-Audio Q40
Beyer DT770 velour pads
Fiio E7

Full review here. And they're very durable and will hold up to being toted around.

Very best,

May 2, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #12 of 12
Take a look at this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-102-portable-headphones-reviewed-panasonic-rp-htf600-added-04-29-12

Seeing as you're planning to use these cans for everything, including day-to-day commuting, I'd say that portable headphones would be the most appropriate.

Reading through the reviews, I'd say that the V-moda M80 would be the best choice for you. If you pair it with a cheap, cost-effective dac/amp, such as the Fiio E10, you'll be set.

Mike at Headfonia stated that he easily preferred the E10 over the E7, despite the fact that it is cheaper. You can't use it as a portable amp though, so that's where the E7 has an advantage; it's strictly a dac/amp combo for home use to replace your crappy on-board soundcard. You won't really need a portable amp anyway, imo.

TL;DR: Listen to WiR3D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back