Best Headphones under $200?
Aug 29, 2014 at 2:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

justkidng

New Head-Fier
Hi! I'm not an expert at all so please bare with me. I recently wanted to get a new pair of headphones because I realized what I have now is pretty garbage. I don't have the money to go and buy myself the best headphones out, but any thing under $200 is good. 

Requirements:
-under $200
-good for gaming and listening to hip hop/ R&B
-does not require a sound card or amp
-over ear

Aug 29, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #3 of 15
You need portability?

Mad Lust Envy has a guide on gaming headphones:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-update-7-9-2014-ultrasone-hfi-15g-added

The AKG k612 seems like a great deal. I am not sure, but from what I read, they seem to benefit from an amp, but they can be driven without one.

If you want a closed back, I have the DT 770s 250 ohm paired with a Fiio e10k and they sound really good with movies, good with games (since it's closed, not so good for positioning enemies) and I found that the best sounding music is along the lines of EDM, hip hop, R&B as well as country, folk and classical music. Not so good for rock, metal, jazz. There is a 32 ohm version that can be driven without an amp. The 80 ohm has much more bass than the others and the 250 definitely needs an amp if driving from a computer. The 250 ohm can be driven from a Samsung Galaxy, though.

Aug 29, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #5 of 15
Strongly endorse the advice regarding the AKG K612Pro. Excellent headphones, but benefit in my opinion when used with an amp, as its impedance is relatively high and may otherwise sound a bit low in volume without an amp. Mostly use mine with JDS O2, and find that I often utilise the high gain, when with other headphones I normally use the low gain.

Aug 30, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #8 of 15
Soundmagic HP150 is more in the neutral class of headphone with a bit of bass and treble emphasis, and with good deep bass extension. Not for bassheads, but good for those that like just a little extra bass. And as a consequence, they have very good mids. Mids in bass heavy headphones are typically recessed.

What kind of headphones do you have now? And what do you think about the amount of bass with them?

Aug 30, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #9 of 15
Sadly, I'm using Beats Solos right now...(got them as a gift). I know that they are supposed to be bass-heavy. I'm just a newbie, so how do I listen for highs, mids, and lows. Are there examples of them I can hear? 

Aug 30, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #11 of 15
Sadly, I'm using Beats Solos right now...(got them as a gift). I know that they are supposed to be bass-heavy. I'm just a newbie, so how do I listen for highs, mids, and lows. Are there examples of them I can hear? 

Go to an online tone generator:

http://onlinetonegenerator.com

Frequencies from 20hz-180 are the lows. This is where bass takes place. The midrange is from 200hz till about 1200hz, this is where vocals, instruments take place. Highs are everything above that, and it's where cymbal crashes, some kicks and snares take place.

Anyway the Beyerdynamic dt770 32ohm is a good place to start. Enough bass for every genre, but not too much.

Aug 30, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #12 of 15
Hello,

Look into the UE6000. They will suit your needs well IMO and as they are discontinued, you can find them less than $100 new. I saw once it was $59.99

Hope it helps
Billson :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back