Best Headphones under $150
Dec 8, 2015 at 9:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

masonaldo

New Head-Fier
Hi everybody,
I am looking for a nice pair of headphones won't require amping or modding. My budget is around $150.

For the most part I will be listening to rock, alternative, and some rap and electronic music (Led Zeppelin, Green Day, Radiohead, Oasis, Beck, Alt-J, Years and Years, Gorillaz, and Empire of the sun are some of my favorites). I'm looking for some over the ear headphones that are comfortable and have good sound quality without the overpowering bass you get from beats.

I've done some research and found that both the Audio technica m50x and sennheiser hd 598 are highly rated but if there are some others I should check out I'm open to suggestions!

Thanks for your help!

Dec 8, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #2 of 11
  Hi everybody,
I am looking for a nice pair of headphones won't require amping or modding. My budget is around $150 and I'm hoping to get the best bang for my buck.

For the most part I will be listening to rock, alternative, and some rap and electronic music (Led Zeppelin, Green Day, Radiohead, Oasis, Beck, Alt-J, Years and Years, Gorillaz, and Empire of the sun are some of my favorites). I'm looking for some over the ear headphones that are comfortable and have good sound quality without the overpowering bass you get from beats.

I've done some research and found that both the Audio technica m50x and sennheiser hd 598 are highly rated but if there are some others I should check out I'm open to suggestions!

Thanks for your help!

"I've done some research and found that both the Audio technica m50x and sennheiser hd 598 are highly rated but if there are some others I should check out I'm open to suggestions!"

Those two headphones are very different though. The M50x is closed, and the HD598 is open. The first thing you need to do is decide if you want an open or closed headphone. A closed circumaural(around the ears) headphone will typically give you better bass and good sound isolation, while an open circumaural headphone will typically give much greater comfort, much better soundstage, and much better midrange detail, but no isolation. The lower level of comfort from a closed circumaural headphone comes from ears overheating, and/or strong clamping force.  Having a headphone that offers isolation can be good or bad depending on the circumstances. At times it can be dangerous to use a closed headphone, such as when you are walking across traffic intersections. Many who buy an open headphone such as the HD598 use it only at home or in a quiet office. 

Which do you prefer, strong impactful bass, or greater midrange detail(including vocals)?

Dec 9, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #7 of 11
  Would I have to get an amp if I got the AKG K612 Pros or Audio Technicas? Or would they still sound good if I just plugged them straight into my ipod?

for the AKG k612 yes.... but you wont need an amp for the AD700X. Down the line you can add a small (portable) amp for the AD700X if you feel that you need more out of them but it shouldnt be needed unless you want to listen to music very loud (which I wouldnt recommend in public since they are open back).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back