Best Headphones under £200 for Rock/Vocals in 2015?
May 7, 2015 at 5:50 AM Post #16 of 18
Beyakusenn, thanks for your reply.

I have the following options:
Recertified & Used P7 for £225
OR
New Denon AH-MM400 Headphones from ebay from Japan for £260

Shall I go for the Denon instead? I'm a bit concerned about fakes.

Edit: I just realized that if I buy from eBay from Japan some import charges may apply that could raise the prise quite a bit.

May 7, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #17 of 18
I'm looking to get my first serious set of cans that I'm going to use practically all day long: at work, on the underground and sometimes at home. Therefore, noise isolation (and cancelling(?)) is important, and I will probably buy a FiiO DAC to get the maximum out of them.

Mainly I to listen to rock and pop music: Pink Floyd, The Doors, Amy Winehouse, Radiohead are some of my favourites.

Today I took my time at Currys to try on a couple of headphones and the Sennheiser Momentum Black was the only one that sounded interesting (there were only a couple of units exposed) but this pair is a bit expensive, costs £200 and no noise cancelling. Not sure about the isolation. The detail seemed quite allright despite the reviews. I could hear how ****ty spotify "extreme" quality is - I didn't had any better quality source at the moment. The sound was very spacious and they were comfortable as well for the time being.

Before, I owned a Brainwavz B2 which I really liked and got disappointed when I got my Shure SE215. That thing is dull.

Please let me know what kind of headphones do you recommend. Does the Momentum worth the money?

TL;DR: looking for a pair of cans around £200 that has very good detail, soundstage, comfy and noise isolation for office and possible noise cancelling for the subway.

Edit: I wonder how the SRH840 sound compared to the Momentums; based on the reviews they seem to fit my taste and are much cheaper.

First of all, I have no idea what "the best HP" is :)... for anything.
A few reccs inside your budget:
- philips fidelio L2. I like the sound very much but it's a semi-open ... for the office the isolation is good enough both ways but prolly not for metro.
- sennheiser momentum 1 or 2 ... heard those in stores, good sound, good looks and pretty good isolation (closed). IIRC, they have a noise cancelling model too but that's over your budget.
- Bose QC15 or QC25. Very good noise isolation and cancelling and decent SQ. QC15 prolly fits your budget and with some luck the newer QC25 fits too (e.g. try ebay)

May 7, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #18 of 18
  Beyakusenn, thanks for your reply.

I have the following options:
Recertified & Used P7 for £225
OR
New Denon AH-MM400 Headphones from ebay from Japan for £260

Shall I go for the Denon instead? I'm a bit concerned about fakes.

Edit: I just realized that if I buy from eBay from Japan some import charges may apply that could raise the prise quite a bit.

If that had been the price, I'd definitely go for the Denons. I just calculated the import charges for you:
http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/saved_calculations/view_details/192457315/

That's not a bad deal, but it isn't great either...

The deal for the P7 looks great though and I think you'll be pleased with it anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back