Best Headphones today?
May 10, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #3 of 35
From my personal experience I can say that once you pass a certain level (imo over around 1000$ for a can) it mostly comes down to personal preference and is also widely depending on synergy with the rest of the chain (DAC, headphone amp, ...) and music types listened.
One of these (plus all their revisions ...) should probably fit: (not complete list of summit-fi headphones but should widely cover)

Sennheiser Orpheus (old and new)
Sennheiser HD 800S
Sennheiser HD 800
Beyerdynamic T1/ AKT1p
Beyerdynamic T5p
Hifiman ShangriLa
Hifiman HE1000
Hifiman HEX
Audeze LCD4
Audeze LCD3
Audeze LCD-X
Audeze LCD-XC
Focal Utopia
Focal Elear
AKG Pro K872
AKG Pro K812
AKG N90Q
Mr Speakers Ether Flow
Mr Speakers Ether Flow C
Mr Speakers Ether C
JPS Labs Abyss AB-1266
Stax SR-009

Stax SR-007 MK2
Stax SR-L700
Fostex TH900mk2
Pioneer SE-Master 1
Sony MDR-Z1R Signature Series
Grado GS2000e
Grado PS1000e
Grado GS1000e
Oppo PM-1
Audio-Technica ATH-W5000
Koss ESP950
Final Audio Design Sonorus VIII
Kennerton Odin
EnigmAcoustics Dharma D1000
McIntosh MPH1000
Jecklin Float QA
Ergo AMT

Best of luck finding your "best headphones" :)

edit: wow that decision came quicker than I was able to write my post^^

May 10, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #4 of 35
From my personal experience I can say that once you pass a certain level (imo over around 1000$ for a can) it mostly comes down to personal preference and is also widely depending on synergy with the rest of the chain (DAC, headphone amp, ...) and music types listened.
One of these (plus all their revisions ...) should probably fit: (not complete list of summit-fi headphones but should widely cover)

Sennheiser Orpheus (old and new)
Sennheiser HD 800S
Sennheiser HD 800
Beyerdynamic T1/ AKT1p
Beyerdynamic T5p
Hifiman ShangriLa
Hifiman HE1000
Hifiman HEX
Audeze LCD4
Audeze LCD3
Audeze LCD-X
Audeze LCD-XC
Focal Utopia
Focal Elear
AKG Pro K872
AKG Pro K812
AKG N90Q
Mr Speakers Ether Flow
Mr Speakers Ether Flow C
Mr Speakers Ether C
JPS Labs Abyss AB-1266
Stax SR-009

Stax SR-007 MK2
Stax SR-L700
Fostex TH900mk2
Pioneer SE-Master 1
Sony MDR-Z1R Signature Series
Grado GS2000e
Grado PS1000e
Grado GS1000e
Oppo PM-1
Audio-Technica ATH-W5000
Koss ESP950
Final Audio Design Sonorus VIII
Kennerton Odin
EnigmAcoustics Dharma D1000
McIntosh MPH1000
Jecklin Float QA
Ergo AMT

Best of luck finding your "best headphones" :)

edit: wow that decision came quicker than I was able to write my post^^

Thanks but why isn't the Fostex TH900mk2 bold ? What does the bold mean to you?

May 10, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #5 of 35
I marked the ones bold which are - to my best knowledge - often considered as nowadays top of summit-fi, however also often considerably more expensive than the rest of the list. Could also include a few more but I had to draw the line somewhere ...

Last edited:
May 10, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #7 of 35
The Fostex's are bass heavy and also very bright sounding. You might say what sound signature your looking for and a budget unless you already bought the 900's.

May 10, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #8 of 35
My personal opinion is that there isn't one simple answer to this. (Might be if you are willing to spend 50 000$+ into setup)

It largely depends what you are looking for and what you value and the synergy of the overall setup.

TBH if you are going to spend 1000$+ you will most likely not be disappointed on the sound. It's just that every TOTL headphone has different sound. Not better/worse... but different.

E: oh you have allready made your choise. NWM then. :beerchug:

Last edited:
May 10, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #11 of 35
Just funny you asked for advice and then 55 minutes later you had decided on the Fostex. Did you really want advice or just conformation on what you already had in your mind what you wanted? People here have lives also and can not post at a moments notice. People here are more than willing to give advice . Not everyone has heard every headphone that is out there. If you want advice that is fine as you I'm sure you will find someone that has heard or own a particular headphone.

May 11, 2017 at 4:14 AM Post #14 of 35
For sheer all day long comfort; fun; with no fatigue what would you recommend in closed-back for under USD500?

Preferred music genre: electronic (ambient/dance/house/trance).

Considering:

Sony MDR-1A
Sony MDR-100AAP
Beyer DT770

I wouldn't recommend the DT770 for fatigue free listening sessions. I can't speak for the other two since I haven't tried em. I assume you live in Thailand based on your profile. There are plenty of headphone stores in Bangkok so you could always try visiting some them to demo some headphones before making a decision. In my experience, trying headphones out is the best way to know whether you will like them or not. Either way you can try the TH900 maybe? It's a very bassy pair of headphones, not my type but maybe you will like it. Pro Plugin at Fortune carries them if you are interested in demoing one.

Last edited:
May 11, 2017 at 4:28 AM Post #15 of 35
I wouldn't recommend the DT770 for fatigue free listening sessions. I can't speak for the other two since I haven't tried em. I assume you live in Thailand based on your profile. There are plenty of headphone stores in Bangkok so you could always try visiting some them to demo some headphones before making a decision. In my experience, trying headphones out is the best way to know whether you will like them or not. Either way you can try the TH900 maybe? It's a very bassy pair of headphones, not my type but maybe you will like it. Pro Plugin at Fortune carries them if you are interested in demoing one.
Thanks for the input; yep, I have been demoing a lot lately trying to find a replacement/upgrade for my B&O H6... looking for something more comfortable and fun if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back