Best headphones that pair well with schiit stack--up to $500
Jul 29, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #31 of 44
I'm interested in the HE560, but I read reviews saying that they were very neutral headphones, and Serman005 said that a very neutral sound is annoying to hear, now I was in doubt again between this one or the HE400i that is said to have a small sound stage , And I want the same characteristics that Hagenhays wants, a natural but fun sound to listen to songs of all genres, is that a good choice ?
I was interested in the Hi fi mans as well, but many people said the wire connections were junky, cluttered. I probably will be avoiding them.

Jul 29, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #32 of 44
" I always wanted to feel themusic coming from all directions and from outside the headphone" (Renato)

That is exactly how I would describe what I'm looking for. I watched some reviews, mainly a guy called Z reviews on YouTube. And no, not to listen to music thru headphones thru youtube, but he was very thorough and explained various phones using subjective audio terms that made sense. [Narrow soundstage, rolled off highs, bloated bass, highs just below shrill, wide-outside your head soundstage]
When he used all of these terms, i was able to gain a sense of imagining what the sound signature would be like. I probably watched 20 different reviews at 20 minutes each. His reference headphone was the sennheiser 650. --open headphones. Which I just purchased a special edition of.

Now I'm off to peruse the closed back headphones.

I get it, It's hard, I live in a state with no audio boutiques, I have a Wal-Mart and a best buy 300 miles away. I rely on people's comments and expertise. I weigh all of that and make a decision. Sometimes you make the wrong ones.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2017 at 1:15 AM Post #33 of 44
No, the taxes in my country are sky high and I do not have access to these products, but what all-round of up to $ 500 would you buy ?

The Sennheiser HD600 at $399 US is still considered one of the best headphones around regardless of price. Read some of the reviews online. Even recent reviews have nothing but high praise for this headphone that has been around since 1997. It is still amongst the most popular and best selling headphones around. If you go with this headphone you will be more than pleased. It's an outstanding all around headphone.

Jul 31, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #34 of 44
The Sennheiser HD600 at $399 US is still considered one of the best headphones around regardless of price. Read some of the reviews online. Even recent reviews have nothing but high praise for this headphone that has been around since 1997. It is still amongst the most popular and best selling headphones around. If you go with this headphone you will be more than pleased. It's an outstanding all around headphone.
But then I will return to neutrality, because the HE560 would be like the evolution of the HD600 in terms of neutrality according to a video I saw, and since I could never use a hi-end handset I do not know if something like that would please me , But I'm thinking of buying the HD650 by having a more musical sound.

Jul 31, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #35 of 44
" I always wanted to feel themusic coming from all directions and from outside the headphone" (Renato)

That is exactly how I would describe what I'm looking for. I watched some reviews, mainly a guy called Z reviews on YouTube. And no, not to listen to music thru headphones thru youtube, but he was very thorough and explained various phones using subjective audio terms that made sense. [Narrow soundstage, rolled off highs, bloated bass, highs just below shrill, wide-outside your head soundstage]
When he used all of these terms, i was able to gain a sense of imagining what the sound signature would be like. I probably watched 20 different reviews at 20 minutes each. His reference headphone was the sennheiser 650. --open headphones. Which I just purchased a special edition of.

Now I'm off to peruse the closed back headphones.

I get it, It's hard, I live in a state with no audio boutiques, I have a Wal-Mart and a best buy 300 miles away. I rely on people's comments and expertise. I weigh all of that and make a decision. Sometimes you make the wrong ones.
You said you want a closed headphone, have you considered buying the Massdrop x Fostex TH-X00? Z Reviews has already made some videos about him.

Jul 31, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #36 of 44
You said you want a closed headphone, have you considered buying the Massdrop x Fostex TH-X00? Z Reviews has already made some videos about him.
Cant stand his reviews but do listen to his audio samples.

Jul 31, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #38 of 44
I wouldn't take any ones review of anything as a last word on headphones. I see a lot of people referring to his reviews but have not watched a one. I would rather take in many reviews but the best way to know is to hear it for yourself and for most that is no possible . That is why I like going to meets as you can hear a variety of things and also on your setup as well. I know there is not a lot of meets everywhere but I guess I'm lucky as there are several within radius of a 2 to 5 hour drive for me. Just got back from my 10th meet no better way to know what it sounds like other than listening to it.

Jul 31, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #39 of 44
I wouldn't take any ones review of anything as a last word on headphones. I see a lot of people referring to his reviews but have not watched a one. I would rather take in many reviews but the best way to know is to hear it for yourself and for most that is no possible . That is why I like going to meets as you can hear a variety of things and also on your setup as well. I know there is not a lot of meets everywhere but I guess I'm lucky as there are several within radius of a 2 to 5 hour drive for me. Just got back from my 10th meet no better way to know what it sounds like other than listening to it.
You are not missing much. Might want to watch a couple just for the heck of it, but be prepared for swearing and a bunch of moronic babble.

Aug 1, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #41 of 44
Choose headphones first, source 2nd surely?!?

Headphone/ speaker = 40%
Source/ amplification = 20% (being generous)
Recording/mastering of music =40% of quality of sound to one's ears.

AIMHO

Seems at least to me an odd question asking what headphone to use with X amplifier/DAC

The only time I've considered doing this is with Chord Mojo. It was that good but only with certain headphones

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #42 of 44
If th-x00 are on your list, you can usually pick up a pair in perfect condition on here second hand usually fairly new for around 325. Save a bit of money.

Aug 1, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #43 of 44
Thinking Mr. Speakers aeon
Fosstex Thx-00
Emu teaks (if massdrop brings them back)

That's my shortlist right now.
Realizing there's a hell of a price difference here.

But save up your $ I say and ultimately buy what you want. Think I will put my ceiling at $800, got to have a cut off somewhere. Lol (not saying to not have a ceiling....point of dimishing returns)

**modifying thread title.
"Best headphone up to $800"

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #44 of 44
Another room?
Anyone compared the schiit amps?
I'm currently rolling the vali 2.
Wondering if it would be worth the look at going up to the lyr2 or going solid state asgard 2.
I've only heard the vali 2. So far no one who has heard it has complained. Yours truly, It's a fantastic amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back