Best headphones that I should get for Christmas ($200 or less)..
Nov 26, 2011 at 7:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Smoothduder420

New Head-Fier
Im not big on headphones so far I have a pair of skulcandy Inkd buds (for on the go) and a pair of Koss Pro DJ 100 -http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&cp=7&gs_id=r&xhr=t&q=koss+pro+dj100&gs_upl=&biw=1366&bih=613&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=8844925177719783945&sa=X&ei=iX_RTomHCsW30AGwu9BC&sqi=2&ved=0CFkQ8wIwAA#
so mainly im trying to upgrade , I like the Koss but im sure theres better pairs out there?
I only use it for my iPod though so I dunno if its worth buying a better pair or am I good with these ^^?

I listen to mainly rock, rap and electronic music if that matters.

did a little research myself and the "Audio Technica ATH-A900 Audiophile Closed-Back Dynamic Headphones" look pretty good but wanted some more advice.
Remember the price range is about $200 max.
Also im pretty new here ..

Nov 26, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #2 of 15
The Audio Technica ATH-A900 is a good choice for someone that is not using a headphone amplifier.
do not expect the A900 to have huge bass, but should offer fair quality bass.
Prices on new A900s is on the high side right now.
Search daily for ones of sale.

If you like lots of full bass
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80-Ohm, closed headphone.
Does not need a headphone amplifier, but sounds best with one.
Prices on the high side right now

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250-Ohm closed headphone, more balanced then 80-Ohm, needs headphone amplifier.

Open headphone
Beyerdynamic DT990 250-Ohm, open headphones, need headphone amplifier.

add a Fiio E6, small portable headphone amplifier, if you get the Fiio L3 or L9 cable is will plug straight into the iPod's dock connector (better sound).

Nov 26, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #3 of 15
I picked up my Shure 840s for $129 on Amazon and love them! They are easy to power and I spent a few months using them straight out of my mp3 player. What I really like is, they scale up nicely with a headphone amp! They don't need one and I use them all day at work without, but it's nice to hear improvement at home with the amp.

Nov 27, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #6 of 15
Do you know what you especially like about the DJ100s? Is it the forward sounding mids or some other kind of detail it adds that you particularly enjoy?

Nov 27, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #7 of 15

Quote:
I picked up my Shure 840s for $129 on Amazon and love them! They are easy to power and I spent a few months using them straight out of my mp3 player. What I really like is, they scale up nicely with a headphone amp! They don't need one and I use them all day at work without, but it's nice to hear improvement at home with the amp.

Agreed.  They'll sound great out of your iPod and if you decide to upgrade to an amp/dac down the road then you'll still be able to get more out of them.

Nov 28, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #10 of 15
Well, I know there are a ton of reviews on this website on all them - I read them extensively when I was trying to make a decision. If you've already read them all, you're just going to have to pull the trigger - unless of course there is a store where you can go give them a test run.

The Shures are a great studio monitor HP - some people think they're to critical or cold, but I like the technical detail and the instrument separation they provide for a closed set. If you're looking for a "warmer" sound, I'd look elsewhere.

That being said - whatever pair you get, make sure you give them 50-100 hours before you make a final decision. The first 10 hours, the Shures had really stringent highs and I was a little concerned. Slowly they tamed, the bass got tighter, and they really started to shine around the 75 hour mark.

Good luck with your decision!!

Nov 28, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #11 of 15

Quote:
Thanks guys im stuck between
Shure srh 840
ATH m50
A900
Oh yeah i wont be using an amp either. But im more than sure i want one of the 3 just can find enough info to help me determine which to get!

I'm an Audio Technica fan.
Never listened to those two, but i would get the ATH-A900 over the ATH-M50.
M50 would have more bass, but A900 would have a better all around sound.
Both headphones are about as high as they can get in price.
But they both have been $30 or more cheaper in the past year.

I believe the Shures are at the low side of their price range.
Even used ones one eBay seem to be buyer friendly price.
I vote Shures.

Nov 28, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #12 of 15

Quote:
Bumpp, i just need someone to break the tie haha i plan on ordering a pair tonight

What kind of sound are you looking for?

I would push you towards the AD900 or Shure SRH840 of those three. Get the AD900 if you want a bigger sound stage with more focus on mids & treble. Get the SRH840 if you want a little more bass impact, and a more intimate sound stage.

What music do you generally listen to?

Very best,

Nov 29, 2011 at 7:42 AM Post #13 of 15
Please forgive my fawning here, but I think MalVeauX can be of assistance. In many of the threads I reviewed when making my decision, he had posted helpful information and done some pretty lengthy reviews (I think I recall him having 2 sets of the Shure 940s at one point).

I also found this guide extremely helpful:
http://www.avguide.com/buyers-guide/playback-guide-full-size-headphones-2011

Dec 1, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #15 of 15
The SRH-840 and M50 are more of a sidegrade. All of them are a downgrade for me, but I won't go there. 
biggrin.gif
It really depends on many things. I could give you more suggestions if there is a specific sound signature you prefer.
For example, less forward mids, more bass or more treble.

BTW my previous favorites were the SRH-840 and then the M50 until I found the DJ100.

The D2000 for $200 would be nice, but you might miss the nice mids of the DJ100. I never liked the D2000 without a desktop amp really. Sounds pretty good with the Asgard and Micro Amp. I'd never ever pay $349 for it.
Somehow it's not fun to listen to for me, yet the Q701 is. What the heck?

One thing worth trying is buying a new portable amp (under $50) and some M50 pads for the DJ100.

Someday I'll find a portable headphone that's closed for under $200 I like more than the DJ100. Maybe soon. Haven't found it yet, but the SR-225i or KRK KNS-6400 might come close.

I think the KRK KNS-8400 is technically better than the DJ100 for sure and does many things better, but it's just not as fun to listen to.

They run about $150 and are often on sale for $129.

You could also look into the AKG K240 Studio for $100. It does need some amping though. Nothing expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back