Best Headphones Recommendations (Currently interested in Beyerdynamics dt660)
Aug 20, 2015 at 12:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

boochoo

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone!

I am new to the Head Fi community and basically I've recently been getting into higher sound quality (I have a fairly high musical background as well and I guess thats where the appreciation comes from). I saw in a discussion thread that the beyerdynamic dt 660 are amazing and thus I've been leaning towards grabbing them but I thought I'd double check here first before making any purchases.

Basically my budget is approximately ~$500. I'm not looking to upgrade after so I'm willing to pay a bit more if theres something worth the extra money and will make a big difference. I listen primarily to a lot of alternative, blues, and anything with good vocals. I am huge on really clean acoustics and glimmering vocals and a good bass is important but I don't necessarily need the most powerful bass to be happy.

For types of music I love, I'm a big fan of John Mayer. An example of music I like listening (style and arrangement wise) is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32GZ3suxRn4

Basically I'm looking for suggestions...would the Beyerdynamic DT 660s be the best headphones for around my budget or are there other suggestions that I'm not aware of that would fit this more perfectly?

Thanks for all your help!
Bob

Aug 21, 2015 at 4:15 AM Post #5 of 12
Thank you for all the replies!

Open or closed? Over-ear or on-ear? Do you own an amp?

In terms of open or closed, I have only previously owned closed head phones. So I haven't ever experienced a good open headphone before. Secondly, I prefer over-ear set up. Currently I do not have an amp but I am open to purchasing one.

What are the pieces that make up your current system and audio chain?  
What's your preferred sound signature?

Currently I do not have anything in regards of a current audio chain. I am looking to play my music from either my iPhone or laptop (the sound card sucks on my laptop). I am looking to buy an amp but I think that will depend on which pair of headphones I buy. My preferred sound signature is a clarified warm sound.

I'd suggest responding directly to the previously asked questions, and then we'll be able to help you. Good luck.

Thanks a bunch!!!!

Aug 21, 2015 at 4:40 AM Post #6 of 12
Out of your phone and laptop, you almost certainly will not be get $500 out of a can.

For on the go use without an amp, I recommend the NAD VISO HP50, PSB M4U 1, Focal Spirit Pro or Sony MDR 7520.  These are listed in order from warm to dead neutral (I call it a tie in that regard between the FS and Sony).  See:

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/sony-mdr-7520-headphone

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/two-strike-zone-focal-spirit-professional-and-spirit-classic

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/i-love-these-headphonesthe-nad-viso-hp50

and

http://www.cnet.com/products/psb-m4u-1/

Aug 21, 2015 at 4:54 AM Post #7 of 12
I'd say if your environment allows you to use open-back headphones, go for them. Closed cans generally don't sound as good with a few exceptions.

Consider the fact that your sources (iphone/laptop) are not really up to snuff, I think you have three options:

1. $500 dollar low-demanding headphones, which you can use on either your phone or laptop and get decent sound quality
2. Portable DAC+AMP + somewhat-demanding headphones, which you can also use on either your phone or laptop.
3. Desktop DAC+AMP + high-demanding headphones, which is not portable, but it probably gives you the best sound quality.

For option 1: I don't think there are many open-back low-demanding headphones out there at this price range. You should probably check out some closed-back headphones such as Beyerdynamic T70P (they are not warm though), or less expensive open-back headphones such as HiFiMan HE400S.

For option 2: This is probably your best option, if you desire both portability and sound quality. A cheap portable DAC+AMP + a pair of $300 headphones would serve you well.

For option 3: O2+ODAC and Schiit MM combo are both good choices as entry-level DAC+AMPs. Headphones-wise, you'd be able to choose from a bunch of classic headphones such as Sennheiser HD600,

What really matters is to figure out your desired balance between portability and sound quality,

Aug 22, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #8 of 12
  Out of your phone and laptop, you almost certainly will not be get $500 out of a can.

For on the go use without an amp, I recommend the NAD VISO HP50, PSB M4U 1, Focal Spirit Pro or Sony MDR 7520.  These are listed in order from warm to dead neutral (I call it a tie in that regard between the FS and Sony).  See:

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/sony-mdr-7520-headphone

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/two-strike-zone-focal-spirit-professional-and-spirit-classic

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/i-love-these-headphonesthe-nad-viso-hp50

and

http://www.cnet.com/products/psb-m4u-1/

Hey KG Jag thanks so much for the recommendations, I'll look into them and possibly go down this route.

I'd say if your environment allows you to use open-back headphones, go for them. Closed cans generally don't sound as good with a few exceptions.

Consider the fact that your sources (iphone/laptop) are not really up to snuff, I think you have three options:

1. $500 dollar low-demanding headphones, which you can use on either your phone or laptop and get decent sound quality
2. Portable DAC+AMP + somewhat-demanding headphones, which you can also use on either your phone or laptop.
3. Desktop DAC+AMP + high-demanding headphones, which is not portable, but it probably gives you the best sound quality.

For option 1: I don't think there are many open-back low-demanding headphones out there at this price range. You should probably check out some closed-back headphones such as Beyerdynamic T70P (they are not warm though), or less expensive open-back headphones such as HiFiMan HE400S.

For option 2: This is probably your best option, if you desire both portability and sound quality. A cheap portable DAC+AMP + a pair of $300 headphones would serve you well.

For option 3: O2+ODAC and Schiit MM combo are both good choices as entry-level DAC+AMPs. Headphones-wise, you'd be able to choose from a bunch of classic headphones such as Sennheiser HD600,

What really matters is to figure out your desired balance between portability and sound quality,

Hi Kupuna, Thanks for the reply. I think you really hit the nail on the head. I'm pretty big on quality but I think having portability is also very important to me. I think out of the three options I'm leaning towards option 2. In terms of having a portable DAC+AMP and somewhat demanding headphone combo what would you suggest that I go with here? Also if you had a single $500 low demanding headphone you'd go for which one would you pick (or is this just a bad idea?)? I don't mind spending a bit more for a good portable DAC+AMP if it means greater sound quality and portability combo. 

Aug 22, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #9 of 12

Hey KG Jag thanks so much for the recommendations, I'll look into them and possibly go down this route.

Hi Kupuna, Thanks for the reply. I think you really hit the nail on the head. I'm pretty big on quality but I think having portability is also very important to me. I think out of the three options I'm leaning towards option 2. In terms of having a portable DAC+AMP and somewhat demanding headphone combo what would you suggest that I go with here? Also if you had a single $500 low demanding headphone you'd go for which one would you pick (or is this just a bad idea?)? I don't mind spending a bit more for a good portable DAC+AMP if it means greater sound quality and portability combo. 

In my personal opinion, JDS Labs C5D is your best option at this price range. It has excellent measurements and no obvious weakness. If you want to use it with an iPhone you'd need a USB camera adapter and a USB to mini USB adapter. Something like this:

C5D + Connectors would cost you around 280~300. So you have about $200 to buy a pair of headphones. You do have some good open-back options at this price range. Such as AKG K701, Beyerdynamic 880/990 regular/PRO 250 Ohm version (the 600 Ohm version might be a bit difficult to drive). If I were you, I'd wait until Massdrop drops AKG K7XX, which I think is probably the best open-back at this price range.

Of course, you can spend a bit more and get a pair of $300 headphones, such as Sennheiser HD600, Philips Fidelio X2, and HiFiMAN HE400S.

If you were to spend $500 on a single headphone, and you have no intention to put in more money to get DAC and AMP, I'd say it's the worst option. I believe a good DAC makes a huge difference, and the DAC in your iPhone/laptop really sucks.

Aug 24, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #10 of 12
  In my personal opinion, JDS Labs C5D is your best option at this price range. It has excellent measurements and no obvious weakness. If you want to use it with an iPhone you'd need a USB camera adapter and a USB to mini USB adapter. Something like this:

C5D + Connectors would cost you around 280~300. So you have about $200 to buy a pair of headphones. You do have some good open-back options at this price range. Such as AKG K701, Beyerdynamic 880/990 regular/PRO 250 Ohm version (the 600 Ohm version might be a bit difficult to drive). If I were you, I'd wait until Massdrop drops AKG K7XX, which I think is probably the best open-back at this price range.

Of course, you can spend a bit more and get a pair of $300 headphones, such as Sennheiser HD600, Philips Fidelio X2, and HiFiMAN HE400S.

If you were to spend $500 on a single headphone, and you have no intention to put in more money to get DAC and AMP, I'd say it's the worst option. I believe a good DAC makes a huge difference, and the DAC in your iPhone/laptop really sucks.

Hi Kupuna,

Thanks a bunch for the thorough recommendation! I really appreciate it. Would you say the C5D is the best bang for buck DAC/AMP I can get? Also would spending a little more on $300 headphones make a major difference in sound quality compared to a $200 pair of headphones or would spending more a little more on the DAC/AMP make a bigger overall difference in sound quality?

Thanks again for all your suggestions!

Aug 24, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #11 of 12
So I've done some research and I've decided on getting the JDS Lab C5Ds.

Now the last decision I'm struggling with is do I go for the Hifiman HE400 or do you think the Sennheiser HD600/650s are worth the extra money with what the JDS Lab C5Ds can do?

Thanks again everyone for all your help!

Aug 24, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #12 of 12
I'd say HD600/650, DT880/990 regular/pro, K7XX/701/702/etc., and HE400/HE400i/400S are all on the same level despite having different prices. It depends on your taste.

If you prefer warm headphones, Beyerdynamic cans wouldn't be a good choice.

The other ones are all pretty warm. AKG cans are very musical, though not as thick and warm as Sennheiser/HiFiman. I personally find HE400S has the thickest sound among these options, but its treble lacks a bit of extension and overtone.

HE400S does have some advantages: It comes with a short cable designed for mobile use, and it sounds pretty decent even without an amplifier (its sound quality does improve well with better gear).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back