Best Headphones on iPod without need for amp
Feb 5, 2011 at 4:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

rongmomo

New Head-Fier
Hey guys

Been listening to lossless files on my iPod nano through a Goldring DR150. I noticed that a lot of the high end headphones require headphone amps to reach their full potential. I was wondering whether there were any good headphones out there that would sound good without the need for any external amplification? I use the headphones mainly on my iPod nano and Onkyo mini hifi, and tend to lean towards alternative and rock music. Any suggestions would be great.

Feb 5, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #2 of 11
Good headphones will generally sound good straight out of an ipod or receiver's headphone jack.  Yes, they need good amps to reach their full potential, but before the amplification stage they also need good sources.  If your source is mid-fi, why worry about a hi-fi amp?  

In general, you will get the biggest bang for your buck upgrading your headphone.  Not to say you shouldn't get a good amp, but don't let lack of an amp prevent you from buying a new set of headphones unless they are very hard to drive to listening levels.

Feb 5, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #3 of 11
If you're looking for a headphone that will run out of an ipod with no problem, I would check out the Marshall Major. I heard it a couple of days ago and I was blown away at how nice they sounded. The store I was at was selling them for $99 and it is a TON of headphone for that price. They are on-ear, which I do not always necessarily like, but the leather pads are extremely comfortable and they isolate fairly well.

Until I heard them I wasn't even aware that Marshall made headphones, but I was pleasantly surprised. What is your price range? There are other headphones that will also sound great out of an iPod and are good for travel but are a little more spendy.

Feb 5, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #4 of 11
I'm ok with paying $100-200 for a pair of headphones. I like my Goldring DR 150s, but they tend to sound a little soft on the iPod, and I pretty much have to turn the volume pretty high up. I guess I'm looking for headphones that are easier to drive without the need for a portable headphone amp. I'll check out the Marshall Major. JGOelfke, when you say Marshall, are you referring to that company that does guitar amps?

Feb 5, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #5 of 11
For those that like a very balanced sound, check into the KRK KNS-8400. It's the best i've heard unamped that's portable. For non-portable use the HD-598 is an option, but I don't think a Nano could drive it very well. The KRK sound better to me than the SRH-840 and definitely has more detail, but a lot less bass. It's by far the most comfortable portable headphone I've ever owned. The pads are made of memory foam and there is very little clamping force. It does need a lot of burn-in to take away the piercing highs. They run about $150. Today I used them for weight lifting and they were driven just fine out of a Sansa View.

Bassheads should definitely not get them. Or those silly people who say the SRH-840 is bass light, which makes no sense.

One of the few headphones labeled as a "studio monitor" that REALLY sounds like a studio monitor..amazing! I swear someday I'm going to see an XB500-like headphone labeled as one..

BTW I was going to see the Koss Pro DJ 100 but I prefer it with an amp. It will be "OK" without an amp with an Ipod Touch sometimes, but it all depends on the music. Bass heavy music? Forget it!
DJ100's sound is more "fun" than the KRK, but it's far less comfortable unless you replace the pads.

Feb 5, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #6 of 11

Quote:
I'm ok with paying $100-200 for a pair of headphones. I like my Goldring DR 150s, but they tend to sound a little soft on the iPod, and I pretty much have to turn the volume pretty high up. I guess I'm looking for headphones that are easier to drive without the need for a portable headphone amp. I'll check out the Marshall Major. JGOelfke, when you say Marshall, are you referring to that company that does guitar amps?

Yeah, the same Marshall company that makes guitar amps. That's the reason I was so surprised when I saw that they made headphones, especially with the audio quality that they had.

Another good bet for portable headphones that can be driven out of an amp is the Sennheiser PX360, especially if you are looking for portable use. The PX360 is a fairly new headphone and can be found online for as low as $160. My roommate actually just got them and they sound really nice. They don't have the "Sennheiser veil" that the company has become famous for; they are very lively headphones and have a lot more bass than other Senn headphones do.

Also, for a different sound presentation, I would suggest looking at the Sennheiser HD448 as well. They are Sennheiser's highest quality closed-back headphone, which is more ideal for portable use, which I guess I am assuming you want since you want headphones that can be driven out of an iPod. My roommate used to have these headphones, and while he amped them, they can be driven out of an iPod fairly easily. These are a much more laid back, neutral headphone and not nearly as lively as the PX360 or the Major.

Feb 5, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #7 of 11
iPod?

Creative Aurvana Live.

Mod the cable.

Feb 5, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #9 of 11
audio technica a900 or ath m50

best unamped imo

Feb 6, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #10 of 11
Grado SR60 or an IEM-Shure SE530
biggrin.gif

Feb 6, 2011 at 5:38 AM Post #11 of 11
Thanks for the recommendations guys. It might be strange but I actually tend to listen to my iPod at home, rather than on the move. Does anyone know a good pair of open back headphones? I tend the find the soundstage enhanced in those kind of headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back