Best Headphones Money Can Buy Without an Amp?
Jan 13, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #2 of 9
hmmm. that's very hard to tell. The info you gave is very broad and kind of impossible to answer perfectly. I do enjoy my vmoda m100 a lot when unamped. The have great impact and are pretty clear. The aren't the most neutral as they focus a lot on sub-bass. they sound like a great fit for you preferences. I am sure that there are many headphones that are great unamped.

Jan 13, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #3 of 9
Either the V-MODA M-80 / M-100 are good choices in terms of portable headphones that sound good without amps. If you're looking for a more natural sound, I'd say go with the M-80 because the M-100 isn't very accurate sounding. You can also look into the Sennheiser Amperiors too which are very similar in terms of sound to the M-80.

Jan 13, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #4 of 9
Beyerdynamic T5p
Fostex TH900/TH600 - This one should sound fine without amping due to low impedance and efficiency, but it definitely will benefit a lot from amping.
Bowers & Wilkins P7
KEF M500
Sennheiser Momentum

Jan 13, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #5 of 9
  Beyerdynamic T5p
Fostex TH900/TH600 - This one should sound fine without amping due to low impedance and efficiency, but it definitely will benefit a lot from amping.
Bowers & Wilkins P7
KEF M500
Sennheiser Momentum

I think that probably covers it.

The problem is the fact that even a cheap portable amp is such an increase in flexibility that there is no reason not to get one as opposed to unamping.

Jan 13, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #6 of 9
I found the Beyerdynamic T90 didn't lose much on my Sansa Fuze compared to a desktop system with a Graham Slee ULDE. I'd say to go for the T70 or T5p.

Jan 13, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #7 of 9
I found the Beyerdynamic T90 didn't lose much on my Sansa Fuze compared to a desktop system with a Graham Slee ULDE. I'd say to go for the T70 or T5p.

OP said closed.T70p is bass light from what I've heard others say. Also not sure if OP intends for portable use on the go. That would probably eliminate the T5p and the Fostexes.

Jan 13, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #8 of 9
Yes, that would be important to know:  On the go or not?  Also, phone or computer or other?  If mostly phone and "on the go" I would forget the very high end stuff and go straight to a M-80 or M-100, or the often overlooked ATH-ESW9.  If mostly computer and at home, I would argue that a Dragonfly or microStreamer or other shouldn't really count against this equation and slightly lesser headphone on one of those is better than the same dollars spent on more expensive headphones straight into a laptop or soundcard in most cases.  I would be curious about the T5p and even though they are not "closed", the K812 Pro, since both of these headphones were targeted at the market group not interested in dedicated amps.

Jan 14, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #9 of 9
OP said closed.T70p is bass light from what I've heard others say. Also not sure if OP intends for portable use on the go. That would probably eliminate the T5p and the Fostexes.

The t70 is closed... The t90 was far from basslight so I'd be surprised if the closed version was much different. It all depends on what definition of portable you're using, that is what the 'p' in the Beyer phones stands for after all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back