Best headphones in terms of sound quality for use with a fiio x or fiio amp/dac with a smartphone
May 28, 2016 at 12:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

chris31605

New Head-Fier
I would like to know what headphones I should buy to use with my LG G3 smartphone of if need be with a portable amp plugged in or i just buy a very good mp4 player. I currently own audio technica m50 headphones I want an upgrade. I was wondering what headphones are considered the best sounding. Do the sennheiser hd 800 headphones sound the best without having to pay extra for minor tweaks like paying 3000 instead of 1000? Should I buy the HD 800's for me? My price range is varied, I am mostly looking for used ones so I am not sure. Most probably my maximum is 640 euros. Thank you for your time. 

May 28, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #2 of 41
Are you looking for open or closed cans? What sound signature do you like--bass and/or treble emphasized, mids forward--how do you like your sound signature? Whether you need an amp or not depends on which headphones you ultimately get. HD800 definitely need an amp, for example. Other nice cans, such as the Oppo PM-3, (closed can) eg, don't require an amp. It just depends.

May 28, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #3 of 41
  I would like to know what headphones I should buy to use with my LG G3 smartphone of if need be with a portable amp plugged in or i just buy a very good mp4 player. I currently own Audio Technica m50 headphones I want an upgrade. I was wondering what headphones are considered the best sounding. Do the Sennheiser hd 800 headphones sound the best without having to pay extra for minor tweaks like paying 3000 instead of 1000? Should I buy the HD 800's for me? My price range is varied, I am mostly looking for used ones so I am not sure. Most probably my maximum is 640 euros. Thank you for your time. 

Would the 640 Euro budget be for both headphones and a mp4 player?

Option you might check out.
Soundmagic HP150 headphones and a FiiO X3 gen II DAP.
Should give you a decent improvement over the ATH-M50X/LG G3 combo, and still have leftover cash :)

May 28, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #5 of 41
I am looking for the best. Doesnt matter what they are. Sound isolation to lessen leakage would be nice. I like closed better but sound quality is all that matters

So is the 640 Euros the budget limit (for everything)?

May 28, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #8 of 41
The LG G3 measured very well for audio quality: http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_g3-review-1086p7.php. You may or may not notice much of a difference with the X1 unless you buy headphones that need more power than the phone can provide. However, I do like the idea of a DAP for not using my phone battery up to listen to music. Know what I mean?

So figure out your headphones first. Then worry about the electronics when you see how sensitive the headphones are.

For closed headphones, I'd recommend considering the NAD HP50. They are a bit darker sounding than M50, but far more refined in audio quality with better soundstage. They are also easy to drive and you might find your phone is fine. http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/i-love-these-headphonesthe-nad-viso-hp50

May 29, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #10 of 41
So that is the best without paying a lot more for a bit more quality?

Best is subjective. I think the NAD HP50s are very good. They are also easy to drive so should not need an amp. Whether or not you like there sound is up to you :)

May 29, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #11 of 41
Yes i know but i want to buy just one pair. So to be clear is the hd 800 a massive leap from NAD? The amp is not a problem i can buy a portable one. Or is there a heaphone thst is cheaper than the hd 800 but sound almost as good. Since it seems that the hd 800 the best without paying a lot more for better sound.
Best is subjective. I think the NAD HP50s are very good. They are also easy to drive so should not need an amp. Whether or not you like there sound is up to you :)

May 29, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #12 of 41
The HD 800 is certainly considered to be one of the best headphone in the world…. oh, and did I mention there are thousands of head-fiers hating them and their sound-signature?! And using a portable amp on them, well MANY thousands would consider it a sacrilege :rolleyes:

Listening to music via headphones is a subjective thing, we can´t tell you what you are going to like and we certainly can´t tell you what you are going to like „the best“. There are only vague recommendations we can give you…

The best counsel I can give you, is to try to listen to some headphones, before finally buying one. You have to get to know your preferences, your personal taste in sound signature (etc. etc.) before making decisions like this. Before I ultimately went with my PM-3s, I had listened to roughly 20 headphones. Did I make the „right“ decision for me. HELL YES! :L3000: Did I make the „best“ decision? I will never know…

Maybe, to give you some practical advice, considering closed cans step-ups from the M50s and to have a wider range of personal tastes accommodated, try the mentioned NADs (they are very good indeed), maybe the Sennheiser Momentum 2 and also the Audio Technica MSR7 (you should be able to buy all three at amazon for under 700$ total I think). Probably, you will hear something you like amongst them.

And btw, if you won´t like the MSR7, the HD 800s probably aren´t for you anyway…

May 29, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #13 of 41
Thanks for the reccomendations. But what amazes me is how you guys are giving me headphones that cost very little are they really the best? But what would be the point to shell out money for 3 headphones when i just want one? I cant try them sadly necause there isnt a store that sell these in my country, Malta.
The HD 800 is certainly considered to be one of the best headphone in the world…. oh, and did I mention there are thousands of head-fiers hating them and their sound-signature?! And using a portable amp on them, well MANY thousands would consider it a sacrilege :rolleyes:

Listening to music via headphones is a subjective thing, we can´t tell you what you are going to like and we certainly can´t tell you what you are going to like „the best“. There are only vague recommendations we can give you…

The best counsel I can give you, is to try to listen to some headphones, before finally buying one. You have to get to know your preferences, your personal taste in sound signature (etc. etc.) before making decisions like this. Before I ultimately went with my PM-3s, I had listened to roughly 20 headphones. Did I make the „right“ decision for me. HELL YES! :L3000: Did I make the „best“ decision? I will never know…

Maybe, to give you some practical advice, considering closed cans step-ups from the M50s and to have a wider range of personal tastes accommodated, try the mentioned NADs (they are very good indeed), maybe the Sennheiser Momentum 2 and also the Audio Technica MSR7 (you should be able to buy all three at amazon for under 700$ total I think). Probably, you will hear something you like amongst them.

And btw, if you won´t like the MSR7, the HD 800s probably aren´t for you anyway…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back