Best headphones in $200-260 price range/amp question
Nov 22, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #2 of 16
What kind of music do you like? I've come to see the K702's are VERY love or hate, and while the E7 might power them, I don't know how the synergy would be. The main question is what your budget is, and what music you enjoy :)

Nov 22, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #3 of 16
My budget is about 340 for an amp and headphones - I like pretty much everything so I'm generally looking for the headphone that overall sounds best without much regard to its genre specialties.

Nov 22, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #4 of 16
I think the 702's are a better second pair than primary pair, since they sound awesome on some things and horrible on others. The Sennheisier HD598's are a good contender in this range, with a fairly balanced sound. Another option are either the Beyer DT880/990's. The 880's are more neutral, while the 990's are a "fun" can, with more of a V shaped curve. The Pro version of these are fairly affordable and in your budget, while the Premiums aren't, but you may find a killer deal on them used around here. 

Amp wise, pretty much pick your poison. For $80 bucks or so, the Fiio E10 is a great deal with an excellent sound for the price. If you want tubes, I've owned the Hifiman EF2A. It runs around 160 new, and although the gain is high, you have a good intro to a tubey sound, despite it being a hybrid. It also has a semi-decent DAC, so there's another good one. For around that price, the Audisnt HUD-MX1 is also a contender for DAC/AMP at ~160, and has more forgiving settings than the EF2A. Hope I helped some, I'm still fairly new in the journey too!
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: The Denon D2000's might also be in your mind for a bassier signature. They are closed, but can be made open!

Nov 22, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #6 of 16
I personally don't like them in electronica too much. It's not their lighter bass that's an issue, it's that they are detail monsters, and with electronica, that's kind of lost since there aren't many subtleties. They also kind of lack for anything heavy, since their entire presentation is airy. Oddly enough, I prefer my 990's for some larger classical too, since I like the heaviness sometimes. But for quartets, solos, and most larger ensembles, they are AWESOME. I would keep these, even if I could only play classical through them. Details opened up to me that I haven't heard on any of my other cans. Songs I DO like on here (and artists too), however:

Toad The Wet Sprocket- Fly From Heaven 
Little Dragon-Turn Left
ANYTHING Classical
Modest Mouse- Gravity Rides Everything (actually MM sounds absolutely astounding, like high-inducing it's so good)
Opeth- In My Time Of Need
Pinback-Chaos Engine
MOST Rush.
Black Mountain
The Black Keys
The Melvins
Toro Y Moi- Talamak

just to name a few that I remember :p if you notice, most of it is pretty chill. The K702's can get excited, but I enjoy the firmness in sound of my 990's for that.

Nov 22, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #8 of 16
You reminded me with that, if you like them, I really enjoy Thrice on them too. Not as much their first 3 albums, but Vhessieu afterwards sounds awesome. Also, if you listen to any stoner metal (Electric Wizard, Weedeater, Sleep, Witch, etc), it all sounds pretty good on them. Not as good as my 990's, but definitely not the worst. PM me some artists you might want me to demo, and I'll give you whatever opinion I can :p

Nov 22, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #9 of 16

Quote:
Which are the best in that price range? I'm looking at getting the AKG K702's - Are there any other open phones better in that range? Also will this amp be enough to drive them http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003E6K1VK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&m=A4DZXRKMZWOE6? Thanks

There isn't a best. There's not even a best in highend. It's all preference. There are some "technically" better (which has to do with measurements, materials, etc) but that does not mean they actually sound better.

I'd put you on any of the following, then figure out what you like the look of, idea of, and sound of (if you can audition/test) in addition to the phone you mentioned originally:

Fischer Audio FA-003 (closed)
- or Fischer Audio FA-002 (open) and FA-002w (Wood closedback *highly recommend these)

Beyer Dynamic DT880 (semi-open)
- or Beyer DT990 (open)

Audio Technica AD900 (open)

Sennheiser HD600 (open)
- or Sennheiser HD598 (open)

Denon D2000 (closed)

Goldring DR150 (open)

Ultrasone HFI 2400 (open)
- or Ultrasone PRO 750 (closed)

Simply search up some reviews.

All will cover roughly all genres relatively well; it just matters about your preferences really.

Very best,

Nov 23, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #11 of 16
I suggest Beyerdynamic DT880 or DT990.  They're solid mid-level phones and good enough to wow anyone who only knows low end stuff and is impressed by Bose or Beats.

See if you can audition them.

AKG K701 is not a beginner's headphone.  You need to understand what you're getting with them in order to appreciate them.  I loved my pair, but I came to them after the Beyers and Grado 325is.

Good luck.

Nov 23, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #12 of 16
I second the Beyer DT880 or 990 250 ohm edition, get them with a E9 you should be well on your way. As for the OP's question. The AKG K702 will sound back badly recorded tracks, any track that dependent upon booming bass (can be fixed with very expensive amping apparently), or for that matter most electric guitar tracks (their mids aren't the greatest).

Nov 23, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #14 of 16
I ended up going with the AKGs - I ordered from amazon so I'm just going to give them the break in time - try them out with an amp to see if its enough and return them for the DT880s if it doesn't work. From what I read it seems like the reward with the AKGs is higher if you have a decent set up.

Nov 23, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #15 of 16

Quote:
I ended up going with the AKGs - I ordered from amazon so I'm just going to give them the break in time - try them out with an amp to see if its enough and return them for the DT880s if it doesn't work. From what I read it seems like the reward with the AKGs is higher if you have a decent set up.

Actually the reward is higher if you like really specific genres or have a Burson HA-160.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back