Best headphones/IEMs under $50?
Feb 14, 2010 at 4:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

JiNuWiNe

Head-Fier
Hi guys, long time since my last post on headfi. I would like to hear your suggestions for the best-bang-for-buck headphones under $50. I'm looking to pick up something new but don't want to spend too much. Comfort is my number 1 priority.

What I usually listen to: Vocal Trance, Rock, Rap & Hiphop, Instrumentals (Guitar, Piano) and some pop.

Any other ones I should consider? I'm located in Toronto so my selection is very limited.

Thanks.

EDIT: Thank you for all your opinions guys, I value every single one of them. To update you guys, my recent purchases listed: Grado SR60 - $50, MEElectronic M9 - $20, SoundMAGIC PL-30 - $20, and a Cowon D2+ 16GB - $200. My crappy, worn and torn JVC FX55 can retire now.
icon10.gif

Feb 14, 2010 at 4:27 AM Post #2 of 26
Pl50s are $55 - but FC have a voucher on ATM so you can get em under $50

MeElect M6 / M9 are both under $50 and easily compete with PL30s so I hear. Plus M9 comes in a iPhone mic version.

There are a few others, search for multiple IEM type threads

Feb 14, 2010 at 4:46 AM Post #4 of 26
KSC 75 for the value, PX100 for better performance.

But I would go for the KSC 75 personally. For $15, it's hard to beat. Especially with mods.
eek.gif

Feb 14, 2010 at 6:25 AM Post #6 of 26
Plus or minus $5, for IEMs, I like the iM-590, for headphones the DT 235. I don't know if they're the best, because I haven't heard everything, but they're the best I've heard at that price.

Feb 14, 2010 at 7:33 AM Post #7 of 26
Based on my headphones, I am gonna put my vote on headphones in for the PMX/PX 100, at about $30. The PX-100 II's are even better, but they're pushing $70 still. Short of that, I'd say the DT 235 as above or the Sennheiser 201.

I have no idea as for IEM's, though. I can only say the obvious, in that you usually get what you pay for.

--EDIT--
Ha, I just found this: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/s...7-09-a-433318/
it's a round-up of many different sets of headphones evaluated and ranked on a price-to-performance scale.

I know I've seen several round-ups for IEM's, and one where he divided them into price-brackets.

Feb 14, 2010 at 7:43 AM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by JiNuWiNe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys, long time since my last post on headfi. I would like to hear your suggestions for the best headphones/IEMs under $50.
Any other ones I should consider?

JiNuWiNe, I hope that you could a little more on your budget. Please consider too Grado SR60. This was my first headphone purchase. And I love its sound quality.

Feb 14, 2010 at 8:22 AM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by VALIENTE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
JiNuWiNe, I hope that you could a little more on your budget. Please consider too Grado SR60. This was my first headphone purchase. And I love its sound quality.

I'm just curious. What is the cutoff for you recommending the SR60? What if the OP's budget was $40? $30? Don't get me wrong - I like Grados as much as the next guy or (probably) more, but that's a slippery slope.

Feb 14, 2010 at 8:24 AM Post #10 of 26
I know Costco has the Creative Aurvana Live! for $55! Though that is a bit over $55, the comfort of the headphones alone, is definitely worth it
biggrin.gif

Feb 14, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #13 of 26
I don't know much about the other headphones, but I've been using the PX-100 for around 4 years now and think they are a great set of headphones, especially with portable devices.

The only headphones that I may get to replace them would be the Koss portapro, just for a change more than anything.

Feb 14, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm just curious. What is the cutoff for you recommending the SR60? What if the OP's budget was $40? $30? Don't get me wrong - I like Grados as much as the next guy or (probably) more, but that's a slippery slope.

I'm tempted to start a "if I had no money and wanted some Grados" to see if they'd take the bait
tongue_smile.gif

The PX100s are (IMO) very good performers for the price, although I think the newer revision (II) has increased in price, so I'm not 100% sure it would fit within your budget in your locality.

Feb 14, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #15 of 26
Those Creative Aurvana Live! headphones are the **** (in the good way), so if you can get them, those are your answer. They are from the same OEM model as the Denon D1001, and you can perform a couple mods on them that can push your money a lot farther, as well.

I have the CAL, and I am about to perform the following two mods:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/rec...-d1000-353941/
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/mar...-d1000-350167/
Parts so far were $25 shipped, and I need to pay $7 for a soldering iron.
  1. JVC HA-FX66 - Haven't heard them, so I don't know.
  2. Creative EP-630/Sennheiser CX300 - These are, again, from a Foster Electronics OEM. They sound kinda congested and indistinct due to having HUGE bass.
  3. SoundMagic PL-30 - Again, can't comment.
  4. Sennheiser HD201 - a little flat sounding. Great highs and low cost, but there is no bass to speak of. The comfort is great.
  5. , KOSS KSC75 - I haven't heard them, so I can't comment
  6. Sennheiser PX100 - I love these suckers, they have a very fun sound to them. Like the IEM's, they sound a little congested, but you will only notice it on these when comparing to much better 'phones.

Also Consider:
  7. jvc ha-rx700 - frequently recommended as a budget performer. They're huge compared to any of the other phones, and they sound pretty good too.
  8. Sennheiser HD 205 - I haven't seen them in stores lately, but they are great headphones. They're supra-aural, but big enough to be circumaural. They are REALLY laid-back, so not very good for detail retrieval. I liked them enough to keep them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back