Best Headphones from $60-80bucks?
Sep 14, 2002 at 6:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

JROCK

New Head-Fier
I live in apartments and i use my computer for my music and i have the Logitech Z560's and the bass is still to loud at low volumes so i cant even use these at night. Im wanting headphones that will be able to handle rap and rock at reasonable levels without sounding ****ty. If you guys could reply i would really apreciate it.

THANKS
JROCK
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 14, 2002 at 6:36 PM Post #2 of 13
Grado SR-60
I use these with my comp and they sound pretty rockin'. But, their brighter nature can make computer based music (low bit-rate MP3s) and bad recordings really sound bad.

Sennheiser HD-497
A couple of friends have these and they sound pretty good too. They are smoother than the Grados but don't sound as good in my opinion as the SR-60s.

If you are looking for closed phones people here often recommend Sony MDR-V6s. I haven't heard these personally.

These are both open phones so they will let outside noise in. And if you want more opinions try a search. You will find a lot of opinions about all the phones above.

Michael

Sep 14, 2002 at 6:41 PM Post #3 of 13
For my taste $60 to $80 is the sweet spot for low-priced great headphones. I suggest you focus on 3 choices:

1) Grado SR 60s (open/bright/addictive)

2) Sennheiser HD 497s (open/balanced/zingy/could be uncomfortable)

3) Sony MDR V6s (closed/balanced/great LOW bass and bright highs)

These are what I have! I love all three. You might elaborate on what kinds of music you listen to etc. and what your preferences are (open/closed/bright/balanced sound/bass), and hopefully people will follow up and offer more suggestions.
biggrin.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
cool.gif
wink.gif
rolleyes.gif

Sep 14, 2002 at 6:57 PM Post #4 of 13
JROCK
HI: Welcome to head-fi. I have had the 60s and 497 but for way less money I would choose the koss portapros which is one of my favorite headphones in a inexpensive can.

Sep 14, 2002 at 7:16 PM Post #5 of 13
well i like to listen to everything from Metallica and Disturbed to 2pac and Notorious B.I.G. I would like clesed heaphones personally
smily_headphones1.gif
i would like headphones that will produce pretty tight bass and have pretty descent mids and high's. i would prefer to get enclosed headphones so i wont hear any outside noise
smily_headphones1.gif
Thx for takin the time to reply
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 14, 2002 at 7:37 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by JROCK
well i like to listen to everything from Metallica and Disturbed to 2pac and Notorious B.I.G. I would like clesed heaphones personally
smily_headphones1.gif
i would like headphones that will produce pretty tight bass and have pretty descent mids and high's. i would prefer to get enclosed headphones so i wont hear any outside noise
smily_headphones1.gif
Thx for takin the time to reply
smily_headphones1.gif

Sounds like a job for the Sony V6's.

Sep 14, 2002 at 9:27 PM Post #8 of 13
Yep...get yourself the V6!!!
biggrin.gif

Sep 14, 2002 at 9:37 PM Post #9 of 13
Rap & Rock?

Try the V6 first as everyone says. Then try the Sennheiser HD 212 Pros.

You'll probably end up going for the 212's
biggrin.gif

Sep 15, 2002 at 12:19 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by JROCK
does seenheizer have a website cause i cant seem to find them anywhere.

confused.gif
rolleyes.gif
confused.gif
rolleyes.gif
confused.gif

A wild guess, but www.sennheiser.com ?

More resources:

My Review

Headroom

Sep 15, 2002 at 2:26 AM Post #13 of 13
Rap Rock Computer.

I have had Grado SR60's.