best headphones for...
Dec 8, 2003 at 9:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

2 channel

500+ Head-Fier
OK, now that I have owned and sold a whole bunch of stuff, Im looking for some keepers. I only want one pair of headphones and one amp. I only want to spend around 180-200 for the phones and 200-250 for the amp.

Here is the catch...My musical tastes are all over the place. Im looking for phones that sound equally good with say Maria Callas as they would with Dave Brubeck as they would with Bauhaus as they would with Manuelle Galban.

Any suggestions

Dec 8, 2003 at 10:23 PM Post #2 of 4
looking at your profile, the only headphone you haven't tried that does "everything well" in your price range is the AT A900. Another option would be the beyer dt880s but I personally find them bass deficient.

Dec 9, 2003 at 3:37 AM Post #3 of 4
The SEnn 580s are on sale at audioadvisor.com!

Dec 9, 2003 at 7:49 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally posted by raif
Another option would be the beyer dt880s but I personally find them bass deficient.

asking if there's an amp in the $200-250 range that can deliver the real bass to the DT880 is a good question.
but when you manage to pull the bass out of them, they are no less then amazing.. and that's where i feel that these headphones are truely in a legue above the HD600 (at least stock), not only "better". these are killer headphones.
a powerful SS is the way to go with them, from my experience with the XP-7 and integrated amps.
in my comparative review with the HD600 and CD3000 i used the EMP and the Porta Corda - both don't bring these headphones to their maximum balance and fullness.

OTOH, i never heard the a900.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back