Best Headphones for Working & Sleeping on Airplanes
Jan 9, 2006 at 7:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Seascape

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm new to this forum, and have read a lot of the posts on IEMs and noise-cancelling headphones. I have a question that may be a bit different than the typical sound vs isolation issues.

I don't listen to music on airplanes, but I do prefer to work undisturbed, and to sleep on planes. Most of my flights are cross country. What headphones under $200 are best for this situation?

I'm considering the Etymotic ER-6, Etymotic ER-6i, Shure E3c, and Sennheiser PXC300.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Jan 9, 2006 at 7:38 AM Post #2 of 22
i recommend earplugs and a cute stewardess.

Jan 9, 2006 at 7:42 AM Post #3 of 22
u can get a pair of e4s for about 180ish, new one btw..
plainface.gif

Jan 9, 2006 at 1:43 PM Post #5 of 22
I actually did a little a/b testing between the Bose QC2's, which were given out on the airplane, to my Senn PXC-250's. While the noise cancellation seemed to create a bit more quiet of an environment to my Senn's, the Senn's, while still cancelling a tremendous amount of noise, sound infinitely better than the Bose. I highly recommend the PXC-250's....

Jan 9, 2006 at 3:17 PM Post #6 of 22
I think the 4P's can be had for under $200. Check IdealSound on Ebay. For my ear shape, I got much better isolation with the 4P than with the 6i's. Of course, you must like the ety sound which places an emphasis on the top end IMO. With the right equipment, you can get pretty decent bass from them. I found their fit a tad fatiquing on flights over an hour or so. My switch to the E5C has been a Godsend. With the small tips, I'm as comfortable as I can be and while I don't get quite the 4P isolation, it's still pretty wonderful with a screaming baby in the seat behind me. Plus, I think the bass and mids are better with the E5C but that's just my impression.

Really, you can't go wrong with any of the ones you mentioned.

Jan 9, 2006 at 5:03 PM Post #7 of 22
if you're not listening to music, why get IEMs?? you can get really good earplugs for $10-20.

if you are planning on doing some music listening, a little more info will help us give you some recommendations, such as your music source, your type of music, the kind of sound you like, etc.

Jan 9, 2006 at 5:25 PM Post #8 of 22
I didn't know that earplugs work that well, so I'll check them out.

I don't listen to music on planes, because I always thought the music would sound crappy given all the background noise -- that is, until I started reading this forum -- and I don't have a portable player. And if Apple launches a new iPod at this week's MacWorld, I may just have to buy one! (I listen to blues, oldies, classic rock and hard rock.)

I used to watch DVDs on my PowerBook during flights, but it was a pain, especially if the seat in front of me was reclined forcing me to partially shut my notebook, and there was always a glare problem. And I gave up carrying an extra battery, and all the plane power adapters since most domestic coach class seats don't have power plugs.

BTW, I know that some speakers are better for music, and some are better for DVD video. If the same is true for headphones, which are better for videos?

Jan 9, 2006 at 10:02 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seascape
I didn't know that earplugs work that well, so I'll check them out.

I don't listen to music on planes, because I always thought the music would sound crappy given all the background noise -- that is, until I started reading this forum -- and I don't have a portable player. And if Apple launches a new iPod at this week's MacWorld, I may just have to buy one! (I listen to blues, oldies, classic rock and hard rock.)

Get a good fit (foamies) with a good set of IEM's (e4c's look to be in the category you are looking at) and you will not know you are on a plane. Well, at least audibly. IEM's won't help you with ****** food and bad smells.

Jan 9, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #13 of 22
I use the Senns 300s, some flights I have used them with no music just turn on the NC and sit back.

R

Jan 10, 2006 at 12:06 AM Post #14 of 22
Go for the ER-4P's, for an extra 100 bucks you can have the best. Otherwise, I'd take the E3's over the ER6's since the E3's are a lot more comfortable.
Sound, isolation, comfort, price. Pick any 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back