Best headphones for use with Dolby Headphone?
Aug 7, 2008 at 1:30 PM Post #16 of 29
The positioning feels restricted in its range with the HD25s but more precise and realistic anyway than with cheap Grados. The echo-y, bassy, and closed-in sound of the HD25s helps me hear the little space that's there. The openness of the Grados feels more natural, yes, but less realistic at the same time if you catch my drift... but you might not care for the realistic part since DH is not very realistic anyway (proper binaural is another story).
Grados also make everything sound slightly more distant than it should. A modest and straightforward design (like the PX100 for instance) is more accurate than either if you only consider positioning.
In general, the open 'phones which have these fancy chambers that make everything sound distant may be more enjoyable for many than those that have more honest positioning. Still, chambers like those of the HD6x0 are really over the top (and create an uneven soundstage to boot).

Aug 10, 2008 at 8:16 PM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by padam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about the Pioneer SE-A1000 ? It looks the same headphone as used in the company's wireless surround headphone system, only much cheaper than that.

After reading a lot of reviews on the Pioneer SE-A1000, I'm convinced that both the Sennheiser HD 555, HD 595, Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 and ATH-AD900 are better headphones. It seems that the Pioneer SE-A1000 has a great soundstage, but it's only meant for movies, whereas the Sennheisers and Audio-Technicas seem more like allrounders. Though this are just my speculations after reading those reviews.

Aug 13, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #19 of 29
That's quite an interesting opinon, thanks for that. It seems that the HD25 is a great all-rounder headphone which got even a bit more appealing
regular_smile .gif

Aug 14, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #20 of 29
I received the JVC SU-DH1 last Tuesday and have been using it with a Sennheiser HD-595. I absolutely love it! I tested a few movies with DD5.1 and DTS and the soundscape just seemed perfect! After more than a year, I'm still terribly pleased by the HD595's performance!

I've also tried it with some computer games (gotta love that optical output of the Auzentech X-Fi Prelude!), mostly Command and Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath. The sound just seemed richer all of the sudden and really had a surround effect to it.

Thank the Lord the HD595 doesn't require much to drive it - a super high-end headphone would require a headphone amplifier, the HD595 can just be plugged into the SU-DH1.

By the way, I keep my SU-DH1 on setting DH1. DH2 Already sounds too "roomy", some voices begin to sound a bit 'hollow' at this setting. Not to mention what DH3 sounds like
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 10, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #23 of 29
I'm using the JVC SU-DH1 with a my DT770 for movies with 5.1 tracks and it's just fantastic!

My Review

I don't do any gaming anymore, and I don't use this device for music, but for watching movies (with 5.1 tracks) I don't think I could ever go back.

Sep 10, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #24 of 29
One thing about the JVC box is that it doesn't produce the cleanest signal. Occasionally you'll hear some artifacts on some frequencies and some tracks that the processing produces.

Sep 10, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #26 of 29
If you was impressed with your DT770pro/80. You haven't listening/see nothing. The DT990 is vastly superior for movies..., more slam and much better bass overall, A much deeper and airy soundstage/headstage and wider, heightier, much lively highs and airy/lifelike mids, cleaner, etc.
Well, In general this is one of the best (if it is not the best) headphones in the world for watch movies and series in TV/anime for his price and beyond, IMMHO[size=medium].[/size]
Grado GS1000 could be another excellent alternative, but it costs $1000 and doesn't have the deep bass/strenght of the DT990.
The DX1000 is the another good alternative, but it lack air/extension in the upper treble and it cost above $800.
Quote:

Originally Posted by smirnoff04 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using the JVC SU-DH1 with a my DT770 for movies with 5.1 tracks and it's just fantastic!

My Review

I don't do any gaming anymore, and I don't use this device for music, but for watching movies (with 5.1 tracks) I don't think I could ever go back.

Sep 10, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #27 of 29
*hangs on to wallet for dear life*
tongue.gif

Thanks for the heads-up on the 990's. Maybe down the road. It never hurts to have options I guess eh.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilashort /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you was impressed with your DT770pro/80. You haven't listening/see nothing. The DT990 is vastly superior for movies..., more slam and much better bass overall, A much deeper and airy soundtsage/headstage and wider, heightier, much lively highs and airy/lifelike mids, cleaner, etc.
Well, In general this is one of the best (if it is not the best) headphones in the world for watch movies and series in TV/anime in the world for his price and beyond, IMMHO[size=medium].[/size]
Grado GS1000 could be another excellent alternative, but it costs $1000 and doesn't have the deep bass/strenght of the DT990.
The DX1000 is the another good alternative, but it lack air/extension in the upper treble and it cost above $800.

Sep 10, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #28 of 29
Hehe, of nothing
wink.gif
. Really i was somewhat dissapointed with the DT770pro with everything compared to the DT990, specially with movies....
Quote:

Originally Posted by smirnoff04 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*hangs on to wallet for dear life*
tongue.gif

Thanks for the heads-up on the 990's. Maybe down the road. It never hurts to have options I guess eh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back