Best headphones for use with Dolby Headphone?
Aug 5, 2008 at 2:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

AVGamer

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for headphones which would work great for playing games, watching movies and listening to music (Hiphop and R&B) in the following two setups:

PlayStation 3 --> JVC SU-DH1 surround headphone adapter --> headphones

and

PC with ASUS Xonar D2X audio card --> headphones

The headphones I am interested in, but can't decide on, are the Sennheiser HD 515, HD 555, HD 595, HD 600, HD 650 and the AKG K 701. Which of these high-end headphones would you recommend?

Would the PlayStation 3/PC be enough to drive the headphones?

Thanks
bigsmile_face.gif

For more information on the JVC SU-DH1 surround headphone adapter, go to:
AudioCubes.com - JVC SU-DH1 Surround Headphone Adapter - SU-DH1 -

For more information on the ASUS Xonar D2X audio card, go to:
ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

Aug 5, 2008 at 2:36 PM Post #2 of 29
Dolby Headphones are terribly overrated - if you want your cans sound like tin cans - go ahead, otherwise I wouldn't touch this feature . I use only Hi-Fi mode with Xonar D2X and Ds3d GX , all other sound processing features doesn't do any good for my taste .
About cans you mentioned - HD 650 and K701 definitely need an amp. HD 600 probably too, can't say much about other cans .

Aug 5, 2008 at 2:39 PM Post #3 of 29
Of those, I'd pick an HD5x5 even though I'm not a fan.
The K701 and HD6x0 have these largish chambers which mess the positioning in a way that's supposed to enhance stereo recordings, not binaural. Beyers or K2xxs would be better but any good 'phone with smallish and straightforward chambers should be fine. Supra-aurals (like Grados) should do as well... Yuins or IEMs too for that matter.

EDIT: maybe not the HD5x5 either as they've got those slanted drivers. I haven't heard these in a while so I can't tell offhand how much of a problem that would be. In any case, you should really reconsider.

Aug 5, 2008 at 2:43 PM Post #4 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by argentum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dolby Headphones are terribly overrated

Not Dolby Headphones, Dolby Headphone!

Also, please quit bringing up this "need an amp" nonsense.

Aug 5, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #6 of 29
I plan on using the Dolby Headphone feature only when the audio source is 5.1. I know the quality of the sound will only get worse when listening to a stereo source.

I listened to Dolby Headphone before, and I liked it. I personally think it's an improvement whenever there's a 5.1 audio source. It's not like I want to use it all the time. I just want some kick-ass headphones for movies, games and music (as stated before: I listen to Hiphop & R&B) and want the Dolby Headphone to sound as Dolby intended them to (whenever I do use them).

So the real question isn't just about Dolby Headphone, but this: Which headphones are the best for use with a PlayStation 3 and a high-end PC and still sound as Dolby intended them to when Dolby Headphone is being used?

So you can see the Dolby Headphone requirement as an extra, rather than the main issue. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear about that.

Aug 5, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #7 of 29
Alright, now I know exactly what you're talking about. I use my HD-650s with my PS3 for gaming, movie watching, music listening etc and I have to admit, they sound pretty good at whatever I throw at them.

Now, granted, when playing something like, say, Warhawk, the positioning of effects isn't quite as clear, or as smooth as my 5.1 setup or even my old, cheapo, craptastic Acoustic Research Dolby Digital 5.1 headphones, though I imagine I would have to play around with my HT amp's Dolby processing to get it the way I like it. This is not to say that's it bad, when in the heat of gaming, I can clearly hear explosions and and gunshots going off and know exactly what part of the map it's happening in.

Undoubtedly these headphones are far better than my other equipment, so with other, high grade equipment they're sure to sound great. Even now, movies sound amazing, even with no post processing, straight from a BD off my Yamaha amp. (Can't wait to get myself a Little Dot or Darkvoice amp) I'm even starting to like listening to movies more with my headphones than my surround setup. It's the little details that you can hear that make the difference. Everything sounds incredibly real and lifelike, dialogue is crisp, clear, music sounds amazing (Of course) and explosions rock your head off.

As far as music goes, I listen to a wide variety of music as well, from R&B and rap, to country and classical, using my PS3 as a media hub to stream stuff from my computer and everything sounds good. Just started listening to some stuff off of Clapton's Unplugged album and I am blown away by the quality and musicality of these cans. Just make sure your source isn't some horrid 112kbps MP3 or anything and you're good to go. Can't say too much about the other headphones, but the 650's do sound amazing. Hope that helps a bit man and good luck.

Aug 5, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #9 of 29
Can a PlayStation 3 or a high-end PC drive these headphones well without the use of an amp? I don't have one, and would rather not spend extra money on one if it isn't needed.

Aug 6, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #10 of 29
I own the JVC Dolby Headphone amp, Audio Technical AD900's, and a pair of HD600's. The JVC device works perfectly for games transmitting 5.1 audio. To me it does not sound like a tin can unless you set it to DH3. The sound produced sounds as if it is outside of your head. Very convincing.

Now as for which headphone is better for gaming with the JVC, it has to be the AD900. They just have a better sound stage and imaging for gaming. I use my AD900's mainly for games and the HD600's exclusively for music listening. The HD600 can reach deafening sound levels when plugged into the JVC connected to the PS3 it just doesn't have the 3D imaging that the AD900's have.

I'd say go with either the AD700 or AD900 but if it you want more bass try the A900 which is the closed version of the AD900's. I've heard good things about the HD555 and HD595 for gaming but can not personally comment on them since I've never heard them.

Aug 6, 2008 at 2:43 AM Post #11 of 29
I use my HD555 for movie watching using Dolby Headphone (software). It does a really god job of creating 5 speakers around you. They are very comfortable and can wear them for hours. It is a little bass shy, mostly around 30hz and below. I use an eq to fix this.

I use the DH2 setting.
DH1 - Sounds too close, your sitting a couple feet from the speakers.
DH2 - Sounds perfect, your sitting on the couch. Perfect amount of space from the "speakers".
DH2 - Too far away, voices don't sound natural but sounds like your in a theater.

Aug 6, 2008 at 8:58 AM Post #12 of 29
So the Sennheiser HD 600 and HD 650 are out since they probably can't position the sound accurately when using Dolby Headphone.

The Sennheiser HD 515, HD 555 and HD 595 are still in. How does the HD 555 compare to the HD 595. Are the HD 595 supposed to be better than the HD 555? Or is it just a subjective comparison between the two (like most Sennheiser headphones).

I don't hear much about the AKG K 701. Anyone have any experience with those?

The newcomers I haven't though about are the Audio-Technica ATH-AD900 and ATH-AD700. They look interesting, as do the ATH-AD1000 and ATH-AD2000 which seem to be the higher-end models. I'm also leaning towards the ATH-A900 headphones which seem to be closed-back dynamic headphones (These seem to be extremely popular at AudioCubes).

Would the closed-back headphones be a better option for use with Dolby Headphone? Or wouldn't that matter? If open-air headphones are the better option, should I consider purchasing the higher-end models (ATH-AD1000 or ATH-AD2000) in stead of the ATH-AD900? And lastly, but not least: Since Audio-Technica headphones are rare in the Netherlands, I can't try them on in a local store. Would they fit on a large head like mine and still be comfortable?

Thanks
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 6, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #13 of 29
After comparing a number of headphones, I narrowed my list down to a couple of Audio-Technica's headphones: The ATH-AD900, ATH-AD1000 and ATH-AD2000.

It seems the ATH-AD900 seems to do a lot of things that I want. I hear the quality of the sound is exceptional, the soundstage is supposed to be large and I like the fact that it doesn't need much to drive these headphones. Yet I also hear the bass isn't as deep as you'd want when listening to bass-driven music like Hiphop and R&B (which I listen to), so I was wondering if the ATH-AD1000 or ATH-AD2000 have that fixed?

I know the price difference is quite big between these headphones, but can anyone tell me if the ATH-AD1000 and ATH-AD2000 are worth the price difference?

Thanks
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 6, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #14 of 29
Using the JVC Dolby adapter I've got the best results using my Sennheiser HD25s. I know they are closed and have a really upfront and personal sound but I think the Dolby Headphone tech was somewhat optimized for this kind of sound signature based on my tests with other headphones. I'd really like to try a pair of Grados with the adapter because they are similar in presentation but are open backed which might add some transparency.

For fun I've tried the adapter with my fullsized Stax system and it wasn't effective at all. They sound a bit too much like speakers the way they are.

Aug 7, 2008 at 1:07 PM Post #15 of 29
The weather today reminded me I should not get closed headphones. It's freaking hot! My ears are sweaty already, I don't want to imagine how much sweatier they will be with closed headphones on them.

On a side note, how would the Ultrasone Pro 2500 work with Dolby Headphone? Are those a better purchase than the Audio-Technica's?

Thanks
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back