Best headphones for under $100 USD
Nov 18, 2008 at 6:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

mike8742

New Head-Fier
what are the best headphones i can buy for under 100 usd? Im looking to get circumaural HEADPHONES that are comfortable and durable, AND FIT WELL. Im mainly going to be using them for everyday use, along with longboarding. Want to get circumaural headphones because they are my personal favorite kind of headphone.

Nov 18, 2008 at 7:00 AM Post #2 of 14
Grados SR-80/Alessandros MS-1. Koss also makes some wonderful headphones with very good value like the KSC-75, KSC-35 and PortaPro. Sennheiser portables are good too. But the Grados are still better to me, but they are more expensive than the others.

Nov 18, 2008 at 7:12 AM Post #3 of 14
Ditto on the Grado's. I have RS2's and have heard the 80's with the tape mod. I honestly thought the 80's were 90-95% as good sounding as the RS2's. I have not however heard the other headphones mentioned above so I can't comment on those.

However, I also own a pair of Bose around-ear headphones that I've seen run from $125-$140. I would recommend the Bose for anyone operating on a budget. The Bose are closed ear and have slightly better base then even my RS2's. You can buy these from Circuit City.

I also have Senn PX100 and they are nice for $40. But these are small folding portables and have their purpose. They can't compare to the larger headphones.

Nov 18, 2008 at 7:14 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sadiedog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ditto on the Grado's. I have RS2's and have heard the 80's with the tape mod. I honestly thought the 80's were 95% as good as the RS2's. I have not however heard the other headphones mentioned above so can't comment on those.

How comfortable are the 80's

Nov 18, 2008 at 10:09 AM Post #6 of 14
HD555 and AD700 are 2 best headphones around $100.

pick on your preference.

HD555's bass gets much better after burn in .

AD700 remains little light on bass.

Nov 20, 2008 at 7:01 AM Post #7 of 14
how tightly do AD700's fit? will they stay on my head if im moving or fall off every 5 seconds. im going to be using my headphones while walking and longboarding, so the can will need to stay on my head

Nov 20, 2008 at 7:07 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mike8742 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how tightly do AD700's fit? will they stay on my head if im moving or fall off every 5 seconds. im going to be using my headphones while walking and longboarding, so the can will need to stay on my head

FWIR, the AD700 fits looser than many other headphones, and they are not designed for portable use. Not knowing your approximate head size, it's impossible to guess how well it would stay on your head while you are moving around. You're probably better off with headphones that clamp more like the ATH-M50.

Nov 20, 2008 at 7:28 AM Post #10 of 14
Uh, a lot of the phones mentioned so far are not suitable for portable use. Including any Grado/MS1/HD555/AD700. If you are looking for a portable phone I recommend you to up your budget a bit and get the ES7, one of the best portable phones at its price.

Nov 20, 2008 at 8:23 AM Post #11 of 14
The following cans are not or or usually not (depending on ear size) circumaural:
SR80, MS-1, KSC75, KSC35, Portapro, PX100, ES7.

At $100, the following are, IMO, the best that can be had:
Closed: Denon AH-D1001 (often, but not always circumaural; at HeadRoom for $99)
Open: Audio Technica AD700 (at Amazon for $103)

Neither are particularly suitable for outdoor use. The AD700s are definitely a no-go for long-boarding. The D1001s might be OK.

Nov 20, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #12 of 14
Ok thanks for the advice. ive been using some bose around ear headphones and they fit snugly and dont move around. Just trying to find a good pair that wont fall off. Longboarding really isnt that much movement on your head, a little more then walking

Nov 20, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #13 of 14
How about some own initiative, instead of waiting for people to spoon-feed answers to you that may or may not be helpful?
Some of the answers given so far are terrible at best.

Check out some of the stickies, "headphones buyers guide" is a good start.
Look at the items that fall in your price range and requirements and do a search for more information or comparisons.
There really isn't a "best" headphone, it largely depends on what kind of music you listen to and what your tastes are.
Specifying what kind of sound you want and what is most important to you would narrow down the choices also.

When you've found some suitable candidates, it's not a bad idea to ask for advice on which might be most fitting for your needs, but these "zero effort" first post kind of threads are just terrible.

Different forums have different standards, and this one is a quite friendly one where people are always willing to help, but I don't think we'd be worse off if we set the standards a little higher.
The quality of the posts would improve somewhat, which benefits everyone in the end.

Nov 21, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #14 of 14
Love my Denon AH-D1001
Very lightweight
Very comfortable
Easily driven by DAP
Under $100
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back