Best headphones for trance/ electronic dance music
Nov 24, 2011 at 10:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

Zoom25

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi, 

I have checked few forums but really haven't found a clear answer, so I decided to make this thread, but rather a bit more specific. First off I am really considering Sennheiser HD 650 and also other HD models like 558/595/598. Based on my music below, which one of these headphones would sound the best from Sennheiser for the music listed below, also please feel free to suggest other headphones for the given music. My budget is 400 for the cans.

If the headphone need amps, such as the HD 650 for example, I am most likely to get the Fiio E7 and E9 combo, given the overall low price and high quality from this pair based on other reviews. Although if you have some other recommendations for amps and dacs, please do let me know. I'll be playing lossless music from either my macbook pro or sansa fuze so any suggestions geared toward those two sources would he helpful.

I don't really have a place nearby where I could go and audition these, so I'll have to order it online based on other people's review. On to the music itself, the most important piece, this is where I would really appreciate suggestions from people that listen to similar, if not the same artists and type of music listed.

***I have checked out other forums, including threads on this site, but they are pretty general as they'll just say trance, techno, dubstep or EDM. Music nowdays, especially within EDM overall seem to differ so much, even between the subsets of this genre, so I wanted to be quite specific in my preference. 

Trance, Techno ,Electro, Progressive, Deep House, House, Dubstep, lil bit of Rap and Hip Hop from time to time.

Artists: Above & Beyond, Armin Van Buuren, Tiesto, Paul Van Dyk, Kaskade, Deadmau5, Benny Benassi Nero, Skrillex, lil bit of Kanye and Drake. 

I would like to get a headphone that can play most if not all these genres well. My main concern though is with Trance, Progressive, Electro and Deep House. Other genres would be an added bonus. I listen to Above and Beyond, Armin Van Buuren, Tiesto and Paul Van dyk the most (70%), so it would have to be well suited with them. In general, music that has good clean deep bass sound (Above and Beyond) and does really well with vocals and those important details usually found in trance near the high end range. Mids and vocals should be balanced well. 

I appreciate the fact that you have read all way down here (I know it's a long post). Thanks in advance, much appreciated :)

Nov 24, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #2 of 50
Heya,

Oh you didn't leave a budget.... hrm... I'm willing to bet you love sub-bass in this music with good mids & treble with details.

Ok. Here's some suggestions:

Pansonic HTF600
Ultrasone PRO 650
Denon D5000

You'll see a lot of Ultrasone offerings for EDM, but this may come as something different, I'm suggesting the PRO 650's. The sub bass in relation to the rest of it's spectrum is excellent. This is the kind of sound I bet you'd want. Ultimately, try for a D5000. It will do what you're after with authority in all ways. I think there's a PRO 650 anv. edition floating for a very, very good price, in the for sale forum right now actually...

Very best,

Nov 24, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #4 of 50
Thanks for the quick reply, btw I did leave a price range: "My budget is 400 for the cans." Although I can wait to get some higher costing headphones on sale one day or keep looking for deals, so headphones like Denon D5000 for $400 which are usually around 500-600. I will check out your suggestions. Yes I do love that sub-bass:) Mids have to be definitely there along with the details, but overemphasized mids are the one thing I absolutely can't stand (especially with vocals, for example in main stream songs characteristic like that of Black Eyed Peas). The mids shouldn't be underemphasized as then you lose the feel and details but overemphasized mids is the worst thing to get overemphasized. Btw have you also heard the HD 650 or any other Sennheiser's with this music or reviews regarding it. Meanwhile, i'll check out these three. Thank you.

Quote:
Heya,

Oh you didn't leave a budget.... hrm... I'm willing to bet you love sub-bass in this music with good mids & treble with details.

Ok. Here's some suggestions:

Pansonic HTF600
Ultrasone PRO 650
Denon D5000

You'll see a lot of Ultrasone offerings for EDM, but this may come as something different, I'm suggesting the PRO 650's. The sub bass in relation to the rest of it's spectrum is excellent. This is the kind of sound I bet you'd want. Ultimately, try for a D5000. It will do what you're after with authority in all ways. I think there's a PRO 650 anv. edition floating for a very, very good price, in the for sale forum right now actually...

Very best,

Nov 25, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #5 of 50

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply, btw I did leave a price range: "My budget is 400 for the cans." Although I can wait to get some higher costing headphones on sale one day or keep looking for deals, so headphones like Denon D5000 for $400 which are usually around 500-600. I will check out your suggestions. Yes I do love that sub-bass:) Mids have to be definitely there along with the details, but overemphasized mids are the one thing I absolutely can't stand (especially with vocals, for example in main stream songs characteristic like that of Black Eyed Peas). The mids shouldn't be underemphasized as then you lose the feel and details but overemphasized mids is the worst thing to get overemphasized. Btw have you also heard the HD 650 or any other Sennheiser's with this music or reviews regarding it. Meanwhile, i'll check out these three. Thank you.

Heya,

Oops, I missed that budget some how, apologies.

D5000 on Amazon in the used section for $415.

I have the HD650's, they're ok for EDM, but really, I like the excitement and impact of the D5000 way more for this kind of music. That's just my preference though. The HD650 has less impact, less presence at 30hz, and is really laid back on the mids & treble (not very energetic and exciting, no energy, just smooth, which is good or bad depending on what you like).

Very best,

Nov 25, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #6 of 50

Quote:
I use my Denon D2000s for all my house, trance, dubstep, etc. and they are great.  If you can't find a used D5000 in your price range then I would definitely go for the D2000.

How would you compare the features of D2000 and the D5000, in terms of overall sound quality and frequency response curve. I am going to assume that the 5000s are better, but sometimes at higher end headphones they really become all about sound signatures, so how would you compare those two in that and also what setup are you using with the denon's? any need for amp or portable options? thanks.

Nov 25, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #7 of 50
many good suggestions already.  I would also add Thunderpants as an excellent choice and surely one of the best.. they can probably be found used here near the top of your price range.

as its been mentioned, Sennheiser's are probably not a good choice. Their "house" sound is bass light and on the laid back side.  I think that no matter which sennheisers you tried, you would find them unsuitable for your preferred type of music.  This has certainly been my experience.

though i dont have experience with beyerdynamics, I would not be surprised if someone mentioned certain models as a possibility - 990's maybe?  I cant remember what i've heard, but I'm pretty sure some of the  beyers are known as bass monsters

Nov 25, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #8 of 50

Quote:
How would you compare the features of D2000 and the D5000, in terms of overall sound quality and frequency response curve. I am going to assume that the 5000s are better, but sometimes at higher end headphones they really become all about sound signatures, so how would you compare those two in that and also what setup are you using with the denon's? any need for amp or portable options? thanks.

Heya,

The D5000 is basically the D2000, but woodback, and a little more refined, by also more warm. The mids of the D5000 are less recessed. The bass is also a little warmer. The overall sound is better to me, for every genre. It's a very capable headphone for everything and very efficient.

I have various setups. I've used it straight out of a simple Xonar DG soundcard and it was lovely ($30 too). I've used it with the Matrix CUBE quite a bit (DAC/AMP combo) and love it. Very clean. No hiss. Dead silent, lots of overhead, simple and gorgeous. I've used it with Bifrost & Lyr & Asgard. Love it too. But it's big time overkill on the amps. I also just use it from my Droid Incredible sometimes, and othertimes, from my Sansa Fuze (no amp; it's fine without one, it's efficient). And sometimes I roll a Vivid V1 Tech portable AMP just for the comfort of knowing I'm using it (doesn't do much, if anything though, to an efficient headphone, except make it louder). I don't think a portable amp is necessary depending on your source. For home, sure, but only because my sources all feed into amps (or have amps built in anyways).

If you can get a D5000, I honestly see no reason, ever, to get the D2000, other than price. The D7000 on the other hand, is as you described, different.

Very best,

Nov 25, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #11 of 50
The DT990 are indeed bass monsters. For an open can, they are very surprising with their bass quantity and extention. Their bass quality is also nice and textured. They have great soundstage. I also recently purchased the Ultrasone Pro 900, and I have heard the D2000 and D7000. I would be happy with any of these cans for your music preferences. It just depends on what you would find best.

Open + soundstage - DT990.
Isolating + bass power - Pro 900.
Semi-closed + more balanced frequency response (even into the sub bass region) - D2000/D5000.

For others that have heard these cans, does that seem to make sense for a quick description of each? Just so my opinion is backed up.
Quote:
many good suggestions already.  I would also add Thunderpants as an excellent choice and surely one of the best.. they can probably be found used here near the top of your price range.

as its been mentioned, Sennheiser's are probably not a good choice. Their "house" sound is bass light and on the laid back side.  I think that no matter which sennheisers you tried, you would find them unsuitable for your preferred type of music.  This has certainly been my experience.

though i dont have experience with beyerdynamics, I would not be surprised if someone mentioned certain models as a possibility - 990's maybe?  I cant remember what i've heard, but I'm pretty sure some of the  beyers are known as bass monsters

Nov 25, 2011 at 2:59 AM Post #12 of 50

Quote:

Doubtful.

Per OP:

That means the PRO900 is right out the window.

Very best,

Well I'm only suggesting the overwhelming consensus of nearly every thread that asks this very same weekly question.
rolleyes.gif
 And lol at mids being a crucial aspect of electronica. That said-the Pro 900s have amazing mids-while recessed, they are still crystal-clear and easily discerned if one wants to... very best

-Daniel

Nov 25, 2011 at 7:39 AM Post #13 of 50
Pro2900
biggrin.gif
, even open. Just a little less bass than pro900, but the best bass and more defined, with beautiful forward midrange. Pro2900 is a fantastic all rounder headphone and able to hit very low, much lower than many closed headphone.

Nov 27, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #15 of 50
it 

Quote:
Heya,

The D5000 is basically the D2000, but woodback, and a little more refined, by also more warm. The mids of the D5000 are less recessed. The bass is also a little warmer. The overall sound is better to me, for every genre. It's a very capable headphone for everything and very efficient.

I have various setups. I've used it straight out of a simple Xonar DG soundcard and it was lovely ($30 too). I've used it with the Matrix CUBE quite a bit (DAC/AMP combo) and love it. Very clean. No hiss. Dead silent, lots of overhead, simple and gorgeous. I've used it with Bifrost & Lyr & Asgard. Love it too. But it's big time overkill on the amps. I also just use it from my Droid Incredible sometimes, and othertimes, from my Sansa Fuze (no amp; it's fine without one, it's efficient). And sometimes I roll a Vivid V1 Tech portable AMP just for the comfort of knowing I'm using it (doesn't do much, if anything though, to an efficient headphone, except make it louder). I don't think a portable amp is necessary depending on your source. For home, sure, but only because my sources all feed into amps (or have amps built in anyways).

If you can get a D5000, I honestly see no reason, ever, to get the D2000, other than price. The D7000 on the other hand, is as you described, different.

Very best,

hey!

now that's interesting. D2k and D5k are, indeed, the same except the wooden cups on D5000 and also a different cable. I myself own them, and even though I was really new to Hi-fi when I bought them, I have noticed  an issue with D2k's when I was auditioning them. Sorry but I couldnt live with it. I consider myself a basshead and we all know that Denons are not exactly shy in this region, but the bass on D2k is late. Listening to some tracks I got a feeling that the whole bass range is detached and delayed. Was really confusing to listen to.

I am in no way saying that it lacked the impact. It was a lot of bass, but it was late. Am I the only one with this impression here?

these two are in no ways revolutionary different, but for someone considering the D2k's, I would definitely suggest to wait a little, save some more cash and go for the D5k's. Sound signature is similar, but definitely more refined on the bigger brother. Cant tell anything about the D7k's as I have not heard them by myself.

What slightly bothers me on the D5k's is the treble - I'd call it a little sibilant. But if to talk about your music preferences, Zoom25, it would not be such an issue. I also listen to a lot of electro, and I truly enjoy it through D5k's. It gets a bit out of control with rock music, but I feel it can get settled with choosing a proper amp. 

While we're at it, I must add that it is quite important to amp Denons properly. Yes, they are efficient, but you can feel the lack of power when running straight out of a head-phone jack. Maybe my laptop has a really crappy sound card (HP HDX18), but the difference between the built-in soundcard and even basic DAC and AMP is like a day and night. Yes the Denons DO sound good out of the jack, but just until you hear them fed by a better source. And yes, the 25 Ohm impendance makes it tricky to find an AMP which matches the cans well.

Regarding Sennheisers for your choice of music and your budget - I'd pass. I have auditioned both 600 and 650s, and also my friend has the 598. In Denons you do get better bass, the highs region is, as I have already mentioned, with some sibilance issues, but at least not veiled like it is at Senns 598 to 600/650.

The only advantage of Senns against Denon AH-D2k to 7k I see in the portability of Denons. Denons are extremely comfortable, but they feel a bit too fragile to be used as a portable can. And you would not like to scratch the nice finish on the wooden cups of D5/7k's, which would inevitably happen "on the go" :) Plus, the cable tends to twist and wrinkle a bit.. a minus for the portability. As about the Senn's - they feel a lot more durable and can handle a few more drops and slams. Go for AH-D1100 if you want unbreakable Denons, but then you must be a real bass-freak.

anyone with similar/opposing impressions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back