Best Headphones for the gym.
Jan 7, 2014 at 12:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

stewartd9

New Head-Fier
How's it going everyone?  I'm looking for a good pair of headphones to use while working out.  I'm currently just using the standard earbuds that come with the i-pod.  I honestly don't need something to be astoundingly clear and powerful while I'm in the gym, but I would like something to be a bit of a step up, and to be a secure fit.  Trying to work out with earbuds never goes well for me - they're constantly falling out.  So, basically, I'm looking for something with a good sound profile that stays put on the head, despite a lot of motion (maybe a hook-behind-the-ears sort of deal).
Just so you guys can get an idea of the sort of sound I generally like, I currently own Sennheiser HD598 and Sennheiser HD555 (tape mod).  I like both, except that they sometimes seem to fall short when listening to rock. 

Jan 7, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #2 of 6
FWIW I've used/tried MANY different headphones in the gym over many years and for what I do in the gym nothing beats a good pair of isolating IEM's. Larger phones seem to by "in style" right now with many people wearing the ubiquitous Beats but I find larger phones get in my way too much...easier to bump them or knock them off when I'm doing various machines/lifts. IEM's aren't perfect, you can always snag a wire but I run them under my shirt and have very few problems and they isolate far better than closed or on ear full sized phones so I don't have to crank up the volume and potentially damage my hearing. YMMV

Jan 7, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #4 of 6
I've also noticed the trend of wearing large beats or skullcandy headphones at the gym.  I always thought it was a bit ridiculous - not only because of the size of the phones but because of their prices - but somehow it seems to have gotten more acceptable.  I still think they all look silly. 
Also, I'm new here so I'm not familiar with some of the abbreviations you used.  What does IEM stand for?  In-ear something? 

Jan 7, 2014 at 2:04 AM Post #5 of 6
IEM = In Ear Monitor. An IEM is an earphone that is inserted into the ear canal. This is contrasted with ear buds that just sit in the outer ear.

http://www.head-fi.org/a/glossary-of-terms
http://www.head-fi.org/a/basic-guide-to-in-ear-canalphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back