Best headphones for the best buck?
Apr 8, 2008 at 8:48 AM Post #17 of 22
If you are going to use them a lot for mixing purposes, I would not recommend a Grado or any open headphones. I have a Grado and I love it, but I don't like mixing with it, to be honest. I use my Stanton DJ Pro 2000 workhorse for that. A DJ headphone is not so much about audio quality, but also about long-term comfort, bass, and build quality.

I would never throw my Grado in my record bag between my records!
biggrin.gif

Some headphones I would recommend for DJ'ing:

Stanton DJ Pro 2000s (cheap, price/quality ratio)
Sennheiser HD-25 (indestructable, good sound blocking)
Sony MDR-V700 DJ (Looks nice, like the sound for DJ'ing, but quite fragile at the hinges unfortunately).

Hope this helps.

Apr 8, 2008 at 10:11 AM Post #18 of 22
sackynut, if you have tested the DT770Pro, how would you compare it with the A700 in terms of comfort and bass, and size bigger than the DT770s? I read DT770 Pro closest competitor with the price insight would be the A900 if Im not wrong. It looks like everyone is recommending the HD25. I will have to go to nearest audio store to test the recommended headphones out.

Apr 8, 2008 at 11:18 AM Post #19 of 22
I've just bought the HD25-1, they're good for portable and looks really robust and durable. They can be uncomfortable because of the clamping force for the first time, but if you stretch the headband a lot it'll be comfortable. Isolation is really good, tight and punchy bass. IMO they are quite a neutral cans
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2008 at 1:54 PM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For $50 apiece, you can get either the Sennheiser PX-100 (open) or Sony Eggos (closed)... neither can be beat for price/value, imho.

The KSC-75 is a great starter, but not sturdy or comfortable enough to be a headphone I'd be happy using all the time.

Where can you find Eggos for $50?

Apr 8, 2008 at 4:23 PM Post #21 of 22
I don't think you can have one set of cans for everything you're going for. The qualities that make for a great studio headphone are very different from those for dj'ing. I've been playing records out for the better part of 10 years, and I would never throw a good studio phone in my bag. For studio work the senn 280 is pretty good in your budget. I have a pair of old pioneer dj headphones that have withstood the test of time for playing out. Stay away from the sony's!

Apr 10, 2008 at 11:59 AM Post #22 of 22
I tried various headphones at a local store including the DT770s,ATH-A700s,SR80s,MS-1s,HD-555,AKG k1518DJ and I must say the DT770 Pro has the best comfort level for me. Very easily worn and comfortable with a good sound signature but my D2 doesnt seem to drive it well since it has a very high impedence, had to max my volume up to hear at a fairly loud volume. But I am not really gonna use it for portable usage neither powering it up with an amp and I want to enquire if using it on your computer direct from your sound card port (x-fi xtrememusic card), will it be able to run to its potential and achieve pretty loud volumes with good quality? Other than that, the MS-1 was good. pretty neutral and balanced sounding and easier to drive but comfort levels on its stock pads were unforgiving, definitely need to change to better ones. SR80s were also good, better in their bass levels. I found the HD555 pretty good with my kind of music and it was also comfortable. the k1518DJ was not good to my ears, found the bass some sort boomy n not nicely produced and exceeding the mids n highs at pretty high volumes. I guess I am now considering between the DT770 Pro and the HD555.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back