Best Headphones for Rock, Hard Rock, Classic Rock, Alternative Rock, Metal, Heavy Metal, Glam Metal, and Vocals.
Apr 14, 2013 at 5:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

iMusicLover

100+ Head-Fier
What headphones do best job with Rock, Hard Rock, Classic Rock, Alternative Rock, Metal, Heavy Metal, Glam Metal, and Vocals. I like most Nirvana, Metallica, 3 Doors Down, Green Day, Bon Jovi, Bryan Adams, Evanescence, Aerosmith, Guns N' Roses
, Def Leppard, AC/DC, Celine Dion, Katie Melua. Budget for HP's, AMP, Dac under 800$. What about grado ?  

Apr 14, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #3 of 15
Grado's have a reputation for being very fatiguing. Also, given your interests, you probably listen at a high volume.

High volume + treble boost = disaster.

You've been warned.

Apr 14, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:
Grado's have a reputation for being very fatiguing. Also, given your interests, you probably listen at a high volume.

High volume + treble boost = disaster.

You've been warned.

Alessandros don't have so much treble boost as grados however.

Apr 14, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:
What headphones do best job with Rock, Hard Rock, Classic Rock, Alternative Rock, Metal, Heavy Metal, Glam Metal, and Vocals. I like most Nirvana, Metallica, 3 Doors Down, Green Day, Bon Jovi, Bryan Adams, Evanescence, Aerosmith, Guns N' Roses
, Def Leppard, AC/DC, Celine Dion, Katie Melua. Budget for HP's, AMP, Dac under 800$. What about grado ?  

Your taste in music is very close to mine....I believe you are on the right track in thinking Grado.

Please don't be scared away be all of the fatigue talk...try them for yourself...then you make the decision.

I did and never looked back....once you hear Angus Young's and Joe Perry's guitar riffs.....you may just be in love!

Try an entry level Grado if you must an SR60i or SR80i....both under $100....

I was expecting my 325i's to be so damn bright and fatiguing when I got them, and while I did find them alittle bright at first...burn in took care of a lot of that.

I swear they sounded better and better everytime I listened to them.

They are straight forward, in your face no nonsense cans, that put you front row and center stage. Prat is off the hook....they are just FUN cans.

For me personally, when I put on my Grados and Rock n Roll....I just smile and get lost in the music.

I am so glad people here recommended them to me for rock music.....I have now owned 3 pair....the SR60i.....325i.....RS1i......loved each and everyone of them, including the SR60i.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.....Rock on!

Apr 14, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:
Your taste in music is very close to mine....I believe you are on the right track in thinking Grado.

Please don't be scared away be all of the fatigue talk...try them for yourself...then you make the decision.

I did and never looked back....once you hear Angus Young's and Joe Perry's guitar riffs.....you may just be in love!

I was expecting my 325i's to be so damn bright and fatiguing when I got them, and while I did find them alittle bright at first...burn in took care of a lot of that.

They are straight forward, in your face no nonsense cans, that put you front row and center stage. Prat is off the hook....they are just FUN cans.

For me personally, when I put on my Grados and Rock n Roll....I just smile and get lost in the music.

I am so glad people here recommended them to me for rock music.....I have now owned 3 pair....the SR60i.....325i.....RS1i......loved each and everyone of them, including the SR60i.

+1

Apr 14, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

The goal is not to frighten anyone. Our goal here is to encourage listeners to use common sense when using any technology. Tech can be wonderful if used properly, or detrimental if not. 

How many teens and young adults listen to metal at a low volume? That's right, none. When you combine this with treble boosted headphones like the grado's, you are creating a much higher probability of hearing damage than would normally be the case.

When you get "lost in the music" and forget about the volume, or how long your listening session is, again, you are creating a situation ripe for hearing damage. 

Again, use common sense. It's not a crime. 

Apr 15, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #9 of 15
I think most people know what a reasonable volume is, when wearing headphones.

I do not believe most people have the volume so high that their ears hurt, even when listening to metal.

I can listen to metal with headphones and without the volume being to loud.

Apr 15, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #10 of 15
EDIT: nevermind.

Apr 15, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:
I think most people know what a reasonable volume is, when wearing headphones.

I do not believe most people have the volume so high that their ears hurt, even when listening to metal.

I can listen to metal with headphones and without the volume being to loud.

It really depends on person, some could even blast classical at 100+ db who knows.
I have heard really bad leaking from headphones when auditioning gear at a shop. Leaking from closed headphones 3 feet from me. They probably maxed out their players just like what happened to my friend when i let him audition my headphone.

We are aware of the hazard of high volumes but many of the general public are oblivious, so part of our responsibility with this knowledge to let others know about the hazard of high level listening.

Apr 15, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #12 of 15
First order of business - stop listening to Glam Rock.  It's not ironic, it's not cute.  

(Yes, that's a joke - to each their own.  :D )

Apr 16, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #14 of 15

. . . .

I agree. With an $800 budget, order a pair of SR80i right now. You will be glad you did, even if you do end up going with something else for your more expensive headphones. Grados do it for me just the same way. Hard to imagine listening to rock with anything else and getting that same impact :)

Apr 16, 2013 at 3:08 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

The goal is not to frighten anyone. Our goal here is to encourage listeners to use common sense when using any technology. Tech can be wonderful if used properly, or detrimental if not. 

How many teens and young adults listen to metal at a low volume? That's right, none. When you combine this with treble boosted headphones like the grado's, you are creating a much higher probability of hearing damage than would normally be the case.

When you get "lost in the music" and forget about the volume, or how long your listening session is, again, you are creating a situation ripe for hearing damage. 

Again, use common sense. It's not a crime. 

Wrong! Myself makes at least one. I'm sure there are more!

But to answer the OP, I second what most of these people are suggesting - Grados for sure. My vote is for the SR60i or SR80i. SR80i if you want a touch more bass and aggression for $20. Also, pick up L-Cush pads for $20, with either headphone - it improves the sound substantially.

The great thing about Grados is that you can get pulled into the music at lower volumes! With other headphones, it just doesn't happen till medium or loud volumes. Grados are actually what taught me to enjoy low-volume music. With dark or neutralish headphones, I find I have to bump up the volume to get to the same emotional connection with the music. So my experience is 100% the opposite of what newphones is suggesting. But he brings up a very important point - save your hearing, keep your headphone listening levels low!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back