Best headphones for rap/hip hop/DnB using an iPhone
Sep 21, 2012 at 3:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

KrisOVOXO

New Head-Fier
Basically I want something decent, for around £250 or less (think around 400$?) for rap, hip hop and DnB. With good bass, and just clear. I have no experience with headphones or sounds so don't knock me for my lack of knowledge haha! Listened to Beats and thought they were okay but not for the money they're worth and was sure there are miles better headphones!

I've been recommended:

B&W P5
Grado sr-225i
Audio Technica ATH M50
Sennheiser Amperior
Akg k550
Denon D2000

Any of these good for what I want? If so which are supposedly best and which should I forget about?

Thank you and again, sorry for my lack of knowledge

Edit: ill be using my iPhone to listen to music so bare that in mind :)

Sep 21, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #2 of 4
B&W P3 is better sounding than the P5 and the P5 would not sound good with your listening tastes

The Grado SR-225i or any other Grado has very poor bass reproduction, does not seal, and is quite uncomfortable so these are out in my mind.

The ATH-M50 is very durable, sounds great for the price, but can sound a little too neutral for the untrained ear so I suggest something else.

The Amperior is good, but for less dough you can acquire the Sennheiser HD-25-1-ii which sounds very similar with an even smoother midrance.  The Amperior's midrange is quite harsh at times causing listening fatigue after a few minutes of listening.

The AKG 550 is a great headphone, but is not that portable.  It sounds pretty neutral and clean and is very comfortable.  I like it over the Denon D2000 for comfort and durability, but the D2000 sounds a bit more neutral.

The Denon AH-D2000 is a great headphone.  It has been my favorite headphone that can be found under $350.  It is very neutral for a closed headphone, sounds better than any other headphone I have tested at or below its price point.  The only issue is they are not very portable and can break if not properly taken care of.  The ear piece swivel is held in place with a single screw / pin and if torque incorrectly can slap.  I highly recommend these for home use or studio use, but not for travel.

The headphone that comes to mind is the V-Moda M-80 White.  They sound really close to the Sennheiser HD-25-1-ii with a tad more bass emphasis and a bit more separation.  The White version has a much improved temple design which is not only more comfortable, but forms better to your head giving a better seal.  These are on-ear headphones so keep that in mind when purchasing them.  They run $200 and for an additional $50 you can add a customized design to the earcups.  That is $50 for a pair of personalized icons to be placed on the ear pieces.

I vote either the Sennheiser HD-25-1-ii or the V-Moda M80 White.  If you want more bass and a little more style go with the V-Moda headphones.  If you want something a little more neutral go with the Senns.

Sep 21, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #4 of 4
B&W P3 is better sounding than the P5 and the P5 would not sound good with your listening tastes

The Grado SR-225i or any other Grado has very poor bass reproduction, does not seal, and is quite uncomfortable so these are out in my mind.

The ATH-M50 is very durable, sounds great for the price, but can sound a little too neutral for the untrained ear so I suggest something else.

The Amperior is good, but for less dough you can acquire the Sennheiser HD-25-1-ii which sounds very similar with an even smoother midrance.  The Amperior's midrange is quite harsh at times causing listening fatigue after a few minutes of listening.

The AKG 550 is a great headphone, but is not that portable.  It sounds pretty neutral and clean and is very comfortable.  I like it over the Denon D2000 for comfort and durability, but the D2000 sounds a bit more neutral.

The Denon AH-D2000 is a great headphone.  It has been my favorite headphone that can be found under $350.  It is very neutral for a closed headphone, sounds better than any other headphone I have tested at or below its price point.  The only issue is they are not very portable and can break if not properly taken care of.  The ear piece swivel is held in place with a single screw / pin and if torque incorrectly can slap.  I highly recommend these for home use or studio use, but not for travel.

The headphone that comes to mind is the V-Moda M-80 White.  They sound really close to the Sennheiser HD-25-1-ii with a tad more bass emphasis and a bit more separation.  The White version has a much improved temple design which is not only more comfortable, but forms better to your head giving a better seal.  These are on-ear headphones so keep that in mind when purchasing them.  They run $200 and for an additional $50 you can add a customized design to the earcups.  That is $50 for a pair of personalized icons to be placed on the ear pieces.

I vote either the Sennheiser HD-25-1-ii or the V-Moda M80 White.  If you want more bass and a little more style go with the V-Moda headphones.  If you want something a little more neutral go with the Senns.

Thanks for the feed back, I had another post about this because i didn't think this one posted successfully. VModa was popular! Will be having a look at them. Please may you also tell me about the Audio Technica ES10? Them or VModa?

Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back