Best headphones for PRAT!
Oct 10, 2009 at 3:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

the chemist

100+ Head-Fier
My current dilemma is finding a good system that really makes you want to "tap your feet." I am looking for fast and good impact. I have currently listened to grado SR-60's and SR-225(current phones). My problem with the 225's is that I find them lacking in lower frequencies. It may be the frontal soundstage that just isen't giving me any depth.

I listen to rock(deftones,RATM,perfect circle) and trance,electronica(dilerium,kraftwerk,tiesto) and love female vocals.

Currently I run my music through a mac mini with apple loseless straight to the SR-225s. I was thinking of getting the pico amp/dac but I am afraid that it may be the grado line that I don't like. From what I have heard the Sennheiser's are probably too laid back for me. I would like to keep from getting headphones that immediatly need to be amped. I plan on getting an amp and better dac but plan on spending ~roughly $400 used right now. Which means I would be stuck with what ever option I pick for 6 months or so before amping/dac.

Any thoughts?

edit: I don't care if they are open/closed comfortable or uncomfortable

Oct 10, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #2 of 21
I'd guess the D7000/D5000 would be a good full size can for you.

If you don't care that they are uncomfortable the AT ESW9 is a good choice as well

Oct 10, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #3 of 21
amped HD600 do it for me, exactly when I play RATM's "Take the Power Back"- my benchmark PRAT track. Surprising. And it isn't even an expensive amp.

http://www.trewaudio.com/i/rentals/v...dphone_amp.jpg

This is the gateway that led me to purchase the HD600 (which sadly hasn't arrived until now). Beforehand, I tried Grado SR325, which is more energetic but not as thick sounding as the Senn. I am sensitive to harshness so sadly no Grado this time around. Maybe later on as a secondary can.

Oct 10, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelvinz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you don't care that they are uncomfortable the AT ESW9 is a good choice as well

Wow, looking at headroom's review of the Denon D500,sick! These headphones look right up my alley and the description given seems great. I don't think the D7000 would be in my budget even used sadly. I appreciate your advice!

Anymore thoughts on the D5000 or other phones?

Oct 10, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by aragornmustdie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
amped HD600 do it for me, exactly when I play RATM's "Take the Power Back"- my benchmark PRAT track. Surprising. And it isn't even an expensive amp.

http://www.trewaudio.com/i/rentals/v...dphone_amp.jpg

This is the gateway that led me to purchase the HD600 (which sadly hasn't arrived until now). Beforehand, I tried Grado SR325, which is more energetic but not as thick sounding as the Senn. I am sensitive to harshness so sadly no Grado this time around. Maybe later on as a secondary can.

This is good to hear. I think I could squeeze HD600's into my budget with a cheap amp. I have heard HD600's unamped and they do seem very laid back? This was my main concern with the 600's. I also think I would prefer the 650's with better bass but maybe not. Afterall 650's and an amp is out of my budget. "take the power back" is a great reference for PRAT for me as well.

Down the road I would be looking at a B22 amp or pico to hold me over but I hate throwing that out there as I really wont get an amp until about 6 months after I get the phones unless I amp my current setup.

Oct 10, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #6 of 21
aaah, the D5000... yes, truly a great PRAT headphone if not a tad boomy. Still, I had to sadly scrap them off my list because of the sibilance, and not so intimate mids. Your call though- have a (well-amped) listen first before buying.

Out of your listed genre taste, HD600 will do well in almost all, maybe a bit lacking in techno. On the other hand, D5000 is quite weak at female vocals. Even after markl. Tried them last week.

Oct 10, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #7 of 21
I only tried HD650 briefly. They are balanced. Huge, engulfing bass, more or less same PRAT with HD600, but overall even more laidback. Well-amped HD600 will improve in speed. The one I tried with that Rolls amp display enough speed for me. Must be even better with more dedicated amps. The other HD600 that I tried is off IQube V2, a portable- didn't sound exciting at all.

These babies really need wall-powered juice.

Oct 10, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #9 of 21
I definitely wouldn't use the D5000's unamped.
And contrary what others think, imo these are not great for Rock, the level of clarity is just too much for me and therefore they can be ruthless, any flaw in the recording and source/amp is heard.
But I agree they play rock loud, with hard hitting bass, the PRaT is there, but so is the listening fatigue, they can be brutal with rock.

Mine are still burning in, so maybe they become easier to listen to, but I think I'll use them for classical music exclusively, there they really shine.

Oct 10, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by aragornmustdie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
aaah, the D5000... yes, truly a great PRAT headphone if not a tad boomy. Still, I had to sadly scrap them off my list because of the sibilance, and not so intimate mids. Your call though- have a (well-amped) listen first before buying.

Out of your listed genre taste, HD600 will do well in almost all, maybe a bit lacking in techno. On the other hand, D5000 is quite weak at female vocals. Even after markl. Tried them last week.

Yes, there definitely is sibilance, but not that much I think.
They can sound hard and glassy though, but not with classical music.

Weak with female voices?
I played a few Handel Oratorio with them and I think they are very good with female vocals.
But for me the vocals are a bit too distant, sometimes even more distant than the A500's (and they are critized for their thin mids)

Oct 10, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by the chemist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, looking at headroom's review of the Denon D500,sick! These headphones look right up my alley and the description given seems great. I don't think the D7000 would be in my budget even used sadly. I appreciate your advice!

Anymore thoughts on the D5000 or other phones?

I've owned the D7000 and heard mark L modified D5000's I think they are really great for all the music types you listed other than female vocals.

My experience with the D7000 was that it did not require top tier amplification to shine

Oct 10, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #12 of 21
my markld d5ks were pretty good with female vocals, creamy and airy for sure - so dont know why people are against them in that area, everyone differers is why, i guess.

i didnt hear stock d500's till after i heard markld, so wierd way round - unless i am insensitive to sibilance i wouldnt classify markld d5k as such, stock d5k was a bit sssshrill in places but markl tamed that beast imho

i have a sneaking suspicion that full markld d5k are superior to stock d7k but have never heard them - would like to

Oct 10, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my markld d5ks were pretty good with female vocals, creamy and airy for sure - so dont know why people are against them in that area, everyone differers is why, i guess.

i didnt hear stock d500's till after i heard markld, so wierd way round - unless i am insensitive to sibilance i wouldnt classify markld d5k as such, stock d5k was a bit sssshrill in places but markl tamed that beast imho

i have a sneaking suspicion that full markld d5k are superior to stock d7k but have never heard them - would like to

to me stock D7k's sound much better than markl d5k's.

Oct 10, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #14 of 21
thats very interesting indeed. i havent followed mark recently and his works, but imaging the potential to mod the 700 then? take it further up, although i wonder if its a similar thing with the gen6 ipod and vinnie, couldnt do anything to it of use

did you have stock cable or custom recable on your D5K marlkd? - balanced or SE?

Oct 10, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelvinz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The ESW10JPN is by far MUCH better than the ESW9, which in comparison sounds muffled, bloated and very closed in. The 10s however, are more open, and have much better detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back