Best Headphones for on a train?
Jul 25, 2007 at 12:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Riverman

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I am looking for the best headphones to use on a train, plane, and other noisy places.

I will be using an Ipod and listening to house music, R and B music with lots of bass, also podcasts.

Will it be worth getting an amp to add some more volume as when I use my ipod in noisy places even at Max volume the music is not loud with my current headphones.

Thanks for any advice!

Jul 25, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #2 of 13
price range?
Open?
Closed?
IEM?

Jul 25, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #4 of 13
What's your budget? If you like big cans, get the Beyerdynamic DT770/80, if you like ones that go in your ear, get the SuperFi 5 EB

Jul 25, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #5 of 13
If you use IEMs (the in ear monitors), they help attenuate a fair bit of noise which is ideal as a passenger. Also they're highly sensitive so you wouldn't need to get an amp to raise the volume to levels you'd safely listen at.

With your budget, and given your music prefs, i'd say you cant go wrong with the Atrio M5s IEMs. Can get them for about $130USD + shipping off ebay.

Jul 25, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #6 of 13
"...on a train, plane, and other noisy places."

IEMs work so well in these circumstances -- isolation, plus low-profile and easy to carry around. You can really tune out your surroundings without having to play music at ear-bleeding levels.

By all means check out the FutureSonics Atrios mentioned above -- lots of praise for them on Head-Fi currently. If you want some things to compare against, look into the Westone UM1 IEM (less bass, though, but the money saved vs. the Atrios could go toward a large supply of the comfortable and isolating Comply foam ear tips) and AudioTechnica and AKG portable closed headphones (but the headphones wouldn't isolate like the IEMs).

Jul 25, 2007 at 8:04 AM Post #7 of 13
As previously mentioned, go for IEMs because of their noise isolation.

If you like CRAZY bass, go for the UE 5EBs. The problem with them is that they don't isolate sound as good as other monitors, and the SQ is questioned by many.

The solution? - 5pro's. They sound great and reduces noise better. They also have a fun colored bass sound that i think will fit your music well!

Jul 25, 2007 at 8:06 AM Post #8 of 13
E3's, UE Sf 5's, Westone UM1. All winners. For an amp, HR's Bithead should do good.

Jul 25, 2007 at 1:17 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rise To The Top /img/forum/go_quote.gif
E3's, UE Sf 5's, Westone UM1. All winners. For an amp, HR's Bithead should do good.

I would not recommend the E3 based on his stated preferences:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riverman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
house music, R and B music with lots of bass, also podcasts.

The E2 would be a better choice than the E3 for "music with lots of bass." I've also read good things about the new ES line and the ES210 or ES310 might work, though I have not had the opportunity to listen to them yet.

Jul 25, 2007 at 1:21 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's your budget? If you like big cans, get the Beyerdynamic DT770/80, if you like ones that go in your ear, get the SuperFi 5 EB

They work well for what your looking for.

I use them daily on a train and subway.

Jul 25, 2007 at 1:23 PM Post #11 of 13
If you don't like IEMs, you could try Audio Technica ATH-ANC7.

Jul 25, 2007 at 1:34 PM Post #12 of 13
After reading all your comments I am going to get IEMs, which are the most comfortable to wear that will fit my requirements?

I am seriously thinking of going for the Atrios M5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back