Best headphones for my demands?
Oct 5, 2008 at 7:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

fuzen

New Head-Fier
New-goer here and am really loving the site so far, great amount of information but I'm not too informed in the audio-area. I'm looking to upgrade my current setup to something that will give me more immersion and enjoyment in my music. Right now I really do not want to exceed $350 for both the sound card and headphone.

Current Setup: I currently do not have a sound card in my pc and am using a usb sound card, SteelSeries USB 5hv2, to fulfill my needs and up to now it really hasn't been an issue, in gaming it's done just fine but I'm looking for something plays music a little bit better. I'd say at my current state I am 70% music and 30% gaming. It's not too hardcore gaming, some counter strike here and there but mostly mmo's.

Music: 90% trance/techno, 10% rap/rock

Current Selections: From reading this forum and gathering information from outside sources I've narrowed down which set's would fit me most: Sennheiser HD595, Beyerdynamic DT 880. Again, these are only what I've seen people recommend and review on. I really do not have much experience and am open to recommendations.

I am also looking to purchase a sound card that would fit my needs and am looking at the Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer 7.1 but if there is better out there than I am all for looking into it.

The future: Purchasing an amp: I have little experience with the benefits of coupling this with a headset but with what I've gathered it can really enhance the experience and would look into purchasing one if it would really give an edge over not having one.

---
I know this is rather long and may be boring! I felt it necessary to describe what exactly I'm looking for and hopefully receive great replies to aid me in my search. Thank you and any/all help is appreciated!
beerchug.gif

Oct 5, 2008 at 9:47 AM Post #2 of 3
Here's what Headroom.com had to say about the DT880, "Amazingly expressive dynamics, superbly controlled highs and a sweet mid-range snap make the DT880 a nicely well-balanced headphone, but probably not the strongest headphone choice for the bass-loving rock/rap/funk/trance crowd since the DT880 lacks the truly authoritative, hefty bottom-end response required for anchoring modern electronic music."

Based on your music and gaming needs, my previous use of the HD595, and what I've read about these headphones, I suggest the Denon D2000 - IF - you can amp it properly and buy a sound card with your $350 budget. But that doesn't seem too likely. In any event, I wouldn't consider the HD595 for your music needs.

For your budget and needs, I suggest considering a recabled and modded Denon D1001 + amp + sound card.

Oct 5, 2008 at 10:28 AM Post #3 of 3
X2
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's what Headroom.com had to say about the DT880, "Amazingly expressive dynamics, superbly controlled highs and a sweet mid-range snap make the DT880 a nicely well-balanced headphone, but probably not the strongest headphone choice for the bass-loving rock/rap/funk/trance crowd since the DT880 lacks the truly authoritative, hefty bottom-end response required for anchoring modern electronic music."

DT880 have not enough punch for these musics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back