Best headphones for musical genre?
Jul 24, 2003 at 2:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

swenzke

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, here's yet another, "best headphone for __ category" thread. I've done some research on the headphones I'm looking for already, but what I'm looking for seems inconclusive. Anyway, here goes.

One thing to note, I'm an audiophile newbie, and I have relatively untrained ears. Also, I'm not too knowledgable about the terminology, although I'm getting there
smily_headphones1.gif

First off the price tag is under $200, although if the quality will be much better for a higher price, I'm willing to hear suggestions. My taste in music varies greatly, so the type of headphones will have to be versatile. 80% of the time I'll be listening to broadway type music (orchestrations, vocals, etc.) and rap (great combination, huh?). The other 20% will be pop/metal/etc. I also own the Sony MDR-D66s, which I am somewhat happy about, although I'm not satisfied with the bass they produce, how much music they keep to yourself, and the separation of the vocals and music in broadway songs. Granted, I may be wrong about some of these, but this just comes from my experiences.

I will also be using these headphones for gaming, although not as extensively as listening to music. Like I said, versatility is key. I will not be using an amp with these either, as I said before, I have untrained ears, so I don't think spending tons of money on an amp will really help me notice a difference.

The headphones will be used with a 3rd gen. iPod for portable use, and for my gaming setup, I'll plug them into the headphone jack of my Klipsch 2.1 Pro medias (which are connected to the sound part of my Asus P4PE motherboard).

Research on the forums has helped me come to the decision between the AKG K-271 studios and the Ultrasone HFI-650s. I'm not sure what 650 would be the best bet, I'm leaning towards the trackmasters, because I think better detail would be more ideal for the broadway type music, and people have said that these provide plenty of bass. However, for the Ultrasone's, do they still sound great with the orchestrations (not referring to classical music)? I've heard good things about the AKG K-271s also, although haven't really seen a comparison of the two. It seems that both headphones have a relatively small fan base here, so when the headphones are getting recommended, it is usually the same people doing the recommendations.

Since I have an untrained ear, do you think I would be able to notice much difference between the HFI-650s and the pro eggos? I don't think bass would be too much of an issue, but what about for broadways? Any advice is greatly appreciated, as are recommendations for other headphones that would meet the requirements.

Edit:
How do the Sennheiser HD 580s sound with bass? I know that they are supposed to be the headphones for classical music (well, 600s), so this may be the phone I'm looking for (probably great for musicals also), however, how is the bass?

Also, I realize that these are open headphones, but what does that mean as to how much sound they let out? Will they let out more sound than the D66s, or does it just mean they don't completely isolate the sound outside, and keep more of the sound to yourself?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back