Best headphones for movies?
Feb 19, 2015 at 7:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Rainbowsloth

Head-Fier
I am looking for a set of good headphones for £100 - £150 that are very good with movies and games but are durable. The akg k550 are now £99 is that a good choice for my average size head due to fit and seal issues from other users. I was also looking into the shure se 840. This is portable but is it  suitable for movies? what's there sound-stage in case I use them for gaming as well? I am worried that the akg k550 will not fit my head so the shures seem like the best bet. Also the senheiser hd 558 will need an amp to run off  my i pod 4th gen and  I don't want to buy an amp yet because don't have the money. Any other suggestions are welcome
key things 
closed back (OK with open just not as portable because of noise leakage)
£100 - £150
would be help full if portable
Great sound-stage 
Using with movies and light gaming
will the akg k550 fit
whats the shure se840 for movies and gaming 

Feb 19, 2015 at 7:37 AM Post #2 of 10
My suggestion:
Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250 ohm (open-back) - it's extremely durable, comfortable and versatile. 
Also the Sennheiser you mentioned is a good choice.

K550 should be tried out first or get it from somewhere you can easily or cheaply return it if you don't like it or can't get a good fit.
Since it's gone down in price so much since it first came out, the price to value ratio is really good.
I know it's closed back, but it's really not an outdoor headphone. It's huge. I guess you'd get some looks if you wore them outdoors, but I wouldn't judge. I wear all sorts of random vintage headphones outdoors and honestly don't care about the strange looks, so that's up to you.
Also the soundstage it gives as a closed-back is quite impressive.

Feb 19, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #3 of 10
250 ohm? I cant get those I don't have a amp to run them from my I pod or from my t.v when watching movies. Could you recommend me a cheap amp that can run them? and what are they like for movies? an how do the compare to the akg or shure headphones? Thanks for your reply 
biggrin.gif

Feb 19, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #4 of 10
Cheap is subjective, but a simple FiiO amp or PA2V2 would be sufficient. (around $50?)

You won't necessarily need an amp if you take the K550... but others would call me heathen for even suggesting it.

For example at work I run my 600 Ohm Beyerdynamic DT990 from a cheap USB-powered external DAC, I have to turn the volume down because of the high output and it sounds pretty damn fine to me.
So you never really know how something will sound until you put the two together, since you also need to consider the sensitivity.

Feb 19, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #6 of 10
Since when does the Sennheiser HD558 need an amp? My wife's sounds perfectly fine from her PC.

i guess he meant my suggestion of DT990 250ohm

Feb 19, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #7 of 10
i want to run a senheiser hd 558 60 ohm headphone out of my i pod 4th gen will it run without out an amp? i have heard these senheisers are very good for movies but need an amp. Also thoughts on beyerdynamic dt 770 limited edition 32ohm? they are a apparently a bit bassy but for movies should they be good?

Feb 19, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #9 of 10
i want to run a senheiser hd 558 60 ohm headphone out of my i pod 4th gen will it run without out an amp? i have heard these senheisers are very good for movies but need an amp. Also thoughts on beyerdynamic dt 770 limited edition 32ohm? they are a apparently a bit bassy but for movies should they be good?

HD558 will work very well with an iPod.

Open headphones like the HD558 or DT990 will give you better soundstage than closed headphones. K550 is about the best sound stage I have heard from a closed headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back