Best headphones for Movies/Gaming
Sep 27, 2014 at 2:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Robbo

New Head-Fier
Hi all

I currently have some DT770's (80Ω) that I use on the TV. Are these the best headphones for the job, are there any you'd consider better for the job, open or closed is fine?

I have them plugged into the rear headphone jack, am I losing out by doing this, should I get a receiver of some sort? The TV has a digital optical out, no coax.

Any suggestions are welcome. I had the RS220 - but didn't find wireless to be worth the money - but I did feel they were better sounding for games and films, compared to the DT770's.

No budget, really, but I suspect the expensive stuff wouldn't necessarily lend itself well to this sort of use.

Sep 27, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #2 of 2
  I currently have some DT770's (80Ω) that I use on the TV. Are these the best headphones for the job, are there any you'd consider better for the job, open or closed is fine?
I have them plugged into the rear headphone jack, am I losing out by doing this, should I get a receiver of some sort? The TV has a digital optical out, no coax.
Any suggestions are welcome. I had the RS220 - but didn't find wireless to be worth the money - but I did feel they were better sounding for games and films, compared to the DT770's.
No budget, really, but I suspect the expensive stuff wouldn't necessarily lend itself well to this sort of use.

Connect a FiiO E17 DAC/amp to the TV's S/PDIF optical port.
There are some used ($90-$120) E17s for sale on eBay and Amazon (new is $130-$140).
The E17 can easily drive 80-Ohm headphones

You want the TV set to 2-channel stereo (PCM) audio, Turn off any Dolby or surround settings, for optical/headphone use.

The DT770 Pro 80-Ohm are fairly good headphones for watching action movies.
Personally I prefer the sound of my Audio Technica ATH-A900X, over the DT770.
but I can't use the A900X with my Yamaha receiver's headphone output, I use my Yamaha receiver to watch Blu-ray disks and U-Verse TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back