best headphones for mixing/mastering sub $500?
Oct 25, 2023 at 10:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

kofman13

New Head-Fier
Currently i use AKG K702 open back, but in my situation only good for checking harshness and stereo positioning but even with correction, lacks the low end for me. UNLESS its in the middle of the night and quiet. my room is not treated and i live in a very loud building/neighborgood. Sometimes i switch to Bose qc 35 for general non surgical tasks because of noise cancelling if my surroundings are loud. I wish i could keep using open back but it seems like i may have to use closed back.

There are so many options like the Senheiser 600/650/660 )i know they are open back), Beyerdynamic offerings, Focal, Audeze, HiFiMan Sundara ( i think all are above $500?). even if i were to go to a store like sam ash to test them, most stores dont have all of these, and more importantly i wouldnt be able to fully test them for a long period of time in my studio. and then theres also comfort on the head for more than 30-60 min.

anyway, what are some recommendations?
EDIT: now that im thinking about it more, i should probably be looking for the best CLOSED BACK headphones instead of OPEN, because part of my issue is loud surroundings where i would miss out on the open back performance

EDIT 2: i should note i mix/producer Electronic Dance Music

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #2 of 11
Sony MDR-V6 closed headphones, sells used for under $100 on eBay.

Oct 25, 2023 at 5:24 PM Post #5 of 11
whats the difference between two OHMS?

ah. I haven't owned the 80 ohms but they're probably more popular than the 250o due to not needing an amp to get the most. if I had to guess if there any major differences between the 2 I know with the right amp you can make your chest vibrate with the right song with the 250o versions. 250o is just a solid sound with punchy bass. 80o are probably more fun but I don't really remember. I still want to try them but I have the 250o already. Fixing to try my first open back here very soon, shp9500. the sonys mentioned earlier are one of the gotos for mastering anything. it was almost my first headphone but wheeling and dealing on ebay got me a good deal on the BD770.

Oct 25, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #6 of 11
What's the difference between two OHMS?
I own both (DT770 80 & 250), they are almost exactly the same.
250-Ohm model came out before the 80-Ohm, guess the 80-Ohm version is to make the DT770 easier to drive from a battery powered portable device (smartphone, mp3 player, DAP , etc.)
But I would assume their biased sound (U shaped sound) would not be good for audio production.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2023 at 9:12 PM Post #7 of 11
I own both (DT770 80 & 250), they are almost exactly the same.
250-Ohm model came out before the 80-Ohm, guess the 80-Ohm version is to make the DT770 easier to drive from a battery powered portable device (smartphone, mp3 player, DAP , etc.)
But I would assume their biased sound (U shaped sound) would not be good for audio production.
Agreed. Not at all close for your use case....

Oct 26, 2023 at 1:41 AM Post #9 of 11
For making music you really want a studio headphone that won't color the music you hear and will give you an accurate representation of what you're hearing.
I really like the Shure SRH840A they're very affordable and punch way above their price. They have been called one of the better studio headphones on the market. The way I understand it is you create the music on something like the Shure's and then once you're done you listen to your final product on something more audiophile grade like for example Sundaras.

Btw if you were in the market for Sundaras you should know that at <$150 USD you also have the Hifiman HE400SE which is a very similarly tuned headphone. Is it as fancy? No, but the two sound surprisingly similar and the 400SE is much cheaper. You will need a good amount of power to drive them though. No audio interface that I know of is going to feed them the juice they need. I run mine on a 2W>32 Ohm amp and some people have run them with 8W or more. They are power hungry and come alive more and more with added power. They will sound hollow and terrible without enough juice.

Oct 26, 2023 at 5:43 AM Post #11 of 11
I'd go with the 250 ohm DT770, the 80 ohm bass isn't very detailed and the 250 ohm has less pre and post ringing. The bass extends way down which is great, but the treble is a little bright unless you put one ply of toilet paper cut into a circle on the driver under the foam. You can EQ the peak down no problem if you do it anyway. They leak more than most closed backs though. The AKG K371 is one we have, light and Harman tuned, easy to power and good sound isolation. They DT770 takes a good amount of power if you're going to EQ it, the K371 is easy, won't need anything special to power.
If you go with IEM's I highly recommend the Simgot EA500 which I use as a daily driver. Two nozzles to customize the sound, and the metal casing provides great isolation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back