Best headphones for metal.
Jul 22, 2013 at 10:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Kitten Mitten

New Head-Fier
Well I'm new here and like the title says I need a pair of headphones for heavy metal.

I listen to mostly Thrash Metal( Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax, Municipal Waste, ect.) but I also listen to a lot of other metal/rock bands like Pantera, System of a Down, Nirvana, Tool, The Dead Weather, ect.

After a lot of research it seems that Grado are the most recommended as far as Rock/Metal goes but I have read that they are uncomfortable and leak a lot. I listen to music everyday for long periods of time so the headphones need to be comfortable and I like to take my headphones to school and other public places so even though I might like to listen to "Raining Blood"  at max volume, my teachers and classmates probably want so the headphones shouldn't leak very much. Also its not the most important thing to me but I would prefer it if the headphones came with some sort of case or had one available and that the headphones are not ugly or bulky.

I listen to music on an Ipod touch 4G and occasionly a crosley record/CD player.

Im looking to spend no more than $150.

Jul 23, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #2 of 3
Yes. For public use, any open headphones (not just Grado) would be a bad choice. People will be able to hear what you are listening to, and you'll be able to hear your environment too well. So look for closed headphones. More discussion here about different headphone types, as well as some recommendation lists further down the page: http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

Ultrasone HFI-780 can be a good choice at $155. My son prefers them for Metallica over Grados because of their better bass response (although I prefer the Grados). Very durable build quality. Easy to drive with portable devices, and they fold up. They also have a fun soundstage compared to many other closed headphones because of the S-Logic technology (more surround effect). They come with a bag, but they will fit in a hard shell Slappa headphone case should you decide later you want a case.

Jul 23, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
Yes. For public use, any open headphones (not just Grado) would be a bad choice. People will be able to hear what you are listening to, and you'll be able to hear your environment too well. So look for closed headphones. More discussion here about different headphone types, as well as some recommendation lists further down the page: http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

Ultrasone HFI-780 can be a good choice at $155. My son prefers them for Metallica over Grados because of their better bass response (although I prefer the Grados). Very durable build quality. Easy to drive with portable devices, and they fold up. They also have a fun soundstage compared to many other closed headphones because of the S-Logic technology (more surround effect). They come with a bag, but they will fit in a hard shell Slappa headphone case should you decide later you want a case.

Thanks for the reply!! I just looked up the HFI-780 and they seem very tempting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back