BEST HEADPHONES FOR METAL/ROCK
Feb 10, 2013 at 2:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

mcrdsd911

New Head-Fier
Hi Head-Fi,

I'm new here and I'm looking for some headphones. I've read some threads that have touched base on this topic,but I still need some answers. My budget is $350 . I listen to metal bands such as AUGUST BURNS RED,PERIPHERY,WHITECHAPEL and others alike. I also listen to pop punk music like YELLOWCARD,NEW FOUND GLORY and others. What i'm looking for are headphones that are fast and accurate and I want the instruments such as guitars and vocals in your face. Basically i just want a headphone that rocks for metal music and rock,but capable of some deep,low bass. kind of like a grado on bass steriods if that makes sense. Thanks guys !

Feb 10, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #3 of 57
I just love my grado 325i's, and as stated above by obobskivich....these cans sound exactly as what you descibe.

The sound is aggressive and the guitar and vocals are so very much in your face.

I realize that everybody has different taste in sound, and that there are many different sound signatures....for rock music it is just hard for me to realize that everybody would not like the sound signature of these cans.

I honestly can't even say how they sound with other music, because I am just a rock & roll listener.....but I could not imagine rock and roll without them.

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #4 of 57
Out of the 225i and 325i, I would suggest the 325i for low listening volumes and 225i for higher volumes, as the 325i has a slightly more piercing treble that is better suited to 'relaxed' volumes.

Feb 10, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #6 of 57
Pro 900 is the popular one but you'll have to shop around to find it in your budget. I think I saw someplace selling it for $320. I may get the Pro 750 which is a bit more neutral sounding with a touch less bass and less recessed mids for $220. One person described the Pro 750 as just about being on stage with the performers as compared to the Pro 900 being like you are a few rows back with movie theatre like subwoofers.

Feb 10, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #7 of 57
Grado, Pick one!!   Whatever is in your budget will work.  The upgrade from low to high is very slight as you go up, More-so then any other Brand.  I think the sweet spot is the 225.  But you can be happy with the 80 as well... 

Feb 10, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #9 of 57
Ultrasone makes fine headphones, but the only one that I feel comes close to what you want is the PRO2900. And it still isn't "in your face" (and voices/guitars still sound a bit artificial); it's also over budget. The HFI-2400 (which is in your budget) is a bad match imho (they aren't as fast or crisp), and the PRO900's mids are probably too recessed for what you specifically want. I think Grado is the better choice.

Feb 10, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #10 of 57
I picked up a pair of Grado SR80i's the other week and can't put them down. I listen to a bit of everything, but they certainly do shine with rock/metal music. The only caveat is that you really can't use these out and about - too much noise will leak in and out. But if you are planning on using these primarily as desktop headphones, then I can't imagine it getting much better with your budget than a pair of Grados. 

Feb 10, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #12 of 57
My only issue with Grados is that they just have a big midbass hump, then the response falls off a cliff, no subbass. I liked my Beyer DT880 pros better in every way over my Grado SR80.

Feb 10, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #13 of 57
Ok, so my only issue is the sound leaking in and out. I usually am in a car or plane with people talking and want to put on my headphones and be in my own metal world. So, maybe I need to look at something else ?

Feb 10, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #14 of 57
I used both out and about all the time but I just turned them up when I was around traffic and noise.

Feb 10, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #15 of 57
Ok, so my only issue is the sound leaking in and out. I usually am in a car or plane with people talking and want to put on my headphones and be in my own metal world. So, maybe I need to look at something else ?

Grados provide no isolation. It's part of the design.

For mobile use I would suggest something with isolation. Perhaps the Koss TBSE or MV1 (MV1 will not play nice with many PDPs) - still a fairly lively sound, but closed-back and they offer some isolation. If you want to go ANC, the Klipsch M40 are probably the best suited of that genre, for the music you listen to (I'd audition before buying - they're on the pricey side).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back