Best Headphones for me?
Jan 12, 2005 at 8:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Loki Woods

New Head-Fier
I just bought a pair of Sennheiser HD 497's and it's not as good as I'd hoped. The bass was too weak and muddy and wasn't as "punchy" or responsive as I had wanted. Also, the highs were too hissy (is that a word?) and crackled at high volumes. The type of music I listen to is a kind of rock style but with hiphop sized (sometimes very quick) bass and I need a pair of headphones that will be able to hit the highs and lows with some power and clarity and function well at high volumes. My price range is around $100 but I'd be willing to throw down a little extra if the product was worth it. I've been looking at the Sennheiser HD 212Pro and the HD 280Pro. They any good? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh yea the source I run it from is a Sony VAIO but I don't know if that info is important. Thanks.

Jan 12, 2005 at 9:43 PM Post #3 of 8
Closed or Open. Doesn't matter. I've seen the Grado SR60's compared to the Sennheiser HD497's quite frequently, is there that big of a difference? Also, I just read somewhere that the Sennheiser HD212 Pro's work well when playing music with high bass. Do the Grado SR60's handle bass well too?
confused.gif

Jan 12, 2005 at 9:56 PM Post #4 of 8
If you want base you should go with Grado SR80 and not 60. The price diff is about $30 but if you listen to hi bass music the $30 are worth it. Other than that all Grado-s do a great job for rock music. I personally like the SR80 because they sound more like my logitech system ( huge sub ).

Jan 12, 2005 at 11:02 PM Post #5 of 8
So I think I've narrowed it down to either the Grado SR80's or the Sennheiser HD212 PRO's. They both seem to have adequate bass and that's definitely a plus. Any further comparison or constrasts would be appreciated. Thanks.
orphsmile.gif

Jan 12, 2005 at 11:16 PM Post #6 of 8
You may want to consider the SR-60 over the SR-80. Some people seem to think the 60 does better than the 80 unamped. The Senn 212 Pros have big bass but (IMHO) isn't very tight or articulate about it; it's just kind of boomy in general.

Jan 13, 2005 at 12:35 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Loki Woods
So I think I've narrowed it down to either the Grado SR80's or the Sennheiser HD212 PRO's. They both seem to have adequate bass and that's definitely a plus. Any further comparison or constrasts would be appreciated. Thanks.
orphsmile.gif

There is a big gap between the ones you have narrowed it down to. Sennheiser sound is normally less forward sounding(not good for rock), while the grados are more in your face kind of sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back