Best headphones for me?
Jan 15, 2012 at 5:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Nick727

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I currently have the ATH-M50s, I really like there sound but they are uncomfortable and I'm just looking to upgrade or try something different. (Thinking Beyerdynamic DT990)

I want to try to keep it between $250-$300. I'll be listening to rap/hip-hop mostly so I enjoy bass but not to much. Occasionally I'll watch a movie too.

What do you guys recommend I get? Thanks!

Jan 15, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #2 of 5

Quote:
Hey guys, I currently have the ATH-M50s, I really like there sound but they are uncomfortable and I'm just looking to upgrade or try something different. (Thinking Beyerdynamic DT990)

I want to try to keep it between $250-$300. I'll be listening to rap/hip-hop mostly so I enjoy bass but not to much. Occasionally I'll watch a movie too.

Are you looking for something to use portably or just at home? Do you own/would you buy an amp or DAC? How important is soundstage? Do you want something precise and technical or laid-back and smooth?

Jan 15, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
Are you looking for something to use portably or just at home? Do you own/would you buy an amp or DAC? How important is soundstage? Do you want something precise and technical or laid-back and smooth?

Just at home, I would as long as the headphones and amp together cost no more then $250-$300. And I'm not sure, I'm open to try anything I don't really have a preference because I haven't tried enough headphones to say.

Jan 15, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
Just at home, I would as long as the headphones and amp together cost no more then $250-$300. And I'm not sure, I'm open to try anything I don't really have a preference because I haven't tried enough headphones to say.

To get a marked contrast to the M50, you may want to go with an open, neutral, analytical can, like the AKG K701 or K702. However, the K-series (as with many AKGs) is notoriously hard to drive, so you may not be able to keep it in your price range with a good amp.

Jan 15, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:

The Beyerdynamic DT990s by reputation have lots of bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back