Best headphones for me?
Jul 14, 2007 at 3:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

OverlordXenu

Headphoneus Supremus
Well...After reading Head-Fi, I have decided Head-Fi is evil. Well, I started thinking of headphones. I saw 003's thread, and then I saw some HP-2's on ebay, and I just don't know...

Soundstage is incredibly important to me. I listen to Classical, Jazz, and Classic Rock. I want clear mids and highs, and I want detailed music.

I face two problems: 1. I have no idea which headphone is right for me, and 2. I don't really have enough money to get a source and amp for headphones.

Let's address 1. first. I suppose my main choices are the K1000's, HP 1000's, and GS1000's. (coinicidence?) Which one is best for me? 003 says the K1000's.

Now for #2...I can't really get a good source and amp with any of the above headphones, because of their cost. I want to use my computer as a source, with some kind of DAC (whether it be internal or external. And another, sub question, if such a DAC is external, is it worth it to get a sound card that outputs optical? Or should I just stick with USB?), and then I would obviously need an amp. I would prefer a solid state amp, but I just don't know how different ones sound. So, I don't know what kind of DAC setup to get, I don't know what a good DAC setup would be, and I don't know what a good SS amp would be. I am also at a loss on how to push K1000's, as they have that strange connector, they require so much power, and I haven't seen someone list their components of a K1000 rig here.

Would it even be worth it to get headphones now if I can't even listen to them? I know that sounds strange, but I really haven't seen HP 1000's or K1000's come up for sale that often, and it seems as if it is hard to find them. So, should I save and get everything at once, or buy things when I can?

Well...Thanks. Please help a confused head-fi'er.

P.S. I think I may have exceptional hearing, but I don't know. Maybe I'm crazy. I just seem to hear high-pitched sounds that others simply cannot, when I was a kid I always "did well" on hearing tests, the high-pitched white noise of CRT's bother me, and bad sources and headphones are really plain to me, and they really bother me. By bother me, I mean almost giving me headaches, or giving me headaches, or even just annoying me. My car stereo makes me cringe...

Again, thanks. I'm confused, and I need help, and I hate head-fi for making me want to spend so much money.

Jul 14, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #2 of 23
I say the K1000s or the GS1000s, depends on your taste. The GS1000 has a large soundstage with good bass, and the K1000 has an ENORMOUS (did I mention it was HUGE?) soundstage with a bass roll off.

Both would do the genres you like quite well... as to which you would personally like better, I don't know.

Jul 14, 2007 at 4:04 AM Post #3 of 23
Thanks for the reply.
smily_headphones1.gif

Honestly, bass really isn't that important to me.

I wish I could listen to all three of these headphones and compare them. Anyone know of any meets around the NYC area?
plainface.gif

Jul 14, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #4 of 23
You will definitely need an amp, and a fairly powerful one at that, to power the K1000's.

My suggestion, considering your budget to be <$1000, would be to get a pair of HD600 or HD650 + amp + USB DAC. When you get into high end headphones, source and amplification really become your limitations. I think you will be extremely impressed by such a setup.

However, for the future, I would say the K1000 is the safer choice. It seems as if the GS1000 is a very either-you-love-it-or-hate-it kind of thing. I personally don't like the GS1000s at all. The K1000's are almost universally enjoyed by all. They sound great and you really can't beat the soundstage on the k1000's.

To answer your question about the availability, both the HP 1000's and the K 1000's are no longer produced. The HP 1000's were discontinued many many years ago whereas the K1000's were discontinued just a few years ago. Both are great headphones and generally people who get their hands on a pair tend to keep them.

Jul 15, 2007 at 2:23 AM Post #7 of 23
This brings to my mind something about chains and weak links.

The audio journey is about balancing components, quality and money. You could buy the K1000, for example, but if you have a poor source and you can't sufficiently power them - what's the point.

In my opinion you should consider buying a decent DAC, a decent amp and some mid range headphones. You will be able to do all of this for less than $1000 and have good quality sound. That would leave enough to spend a few hundred on CDs and maybe some extra PC storage for all of those flac files.

As you get a bit more money you can trade up. The cost of doing this is manageable, particularly if you buy second hand.

This allows you to start with a modest investment and you also learn what type of sound you prefer. There wouldn't be much point buying the K1000 if you prefer the brighter Grado sound.

If I had to start right now with a PC and $1000 I would not worry about a soundcard and buy a USB DAC (I have a silverstone EB01 - low cost decent performance), a decent amp (I love my M³) and a set of K701 = sweet music.

From there you can decide on what your current weakest link and look to upgrade it.

People spend a lifetime on this journey. What you buy and love today may be the trade up consideration of tomorrow.

Jul 15, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #8 of 23
What's your budget?

The thing I see in your requirements are that for classical and rock, it's best to go with two good headphones rather than limit yourself to one headphone. If you're new to this, then it might be best to sample some of the mid-fi headphones and get an idea of what you prefer. After listening to a few, your priorities may change. You can always sell the headphones and get back about 90% of your money. A good DAC/amp combo will never go to waste whichever headphone you go with. And don't be worried if you have to "settle" for a good source and a pair of SR-225s. They are 97% of what the big boys have.

If it were my $1,000, I'd go for a good DAC (possibly with a built in amp), a pair of 225s or 325is for your rock and maybe the Senn HD600 or HD650 or K701. Then save and sell for one of the big boys only after you've listened to them at a head fi meet.

Jul 15, 2007 at 4:14 AM Post #9 of 23
How often do K1000's and HP-1000's go up for sale? If it's not often, I'd rather jump on one of them now and get a good source and/or amp in a few months. Otherwise, I'll just save and wait for a meet and sample different sources, headphones, amps, etc.

Thanks though, you guys are helping me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 15, 2007 at 4:58 AM Post #10 of 23
It's no doubt for you to buy a gd amp. for these headphones. HP-1000 is natural in sound and very precise for any frequency response. i love this stuff but it needs a very great potential amp. to flat out the HP-1000.
580smile.gif

Jul 15, 2007 at 7:38 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by P.J /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what about SA5000?

How's the soundstage compared to the other recommendations?

I haven't really said it, but price doesn't really matter. I can't afford something like HE90's, but the K1000's and the HP-1000's and whatnot are all around the same price, and I can afford them.

Jul 15, 2007 at 11:01 AM Post #14 of 23
If you're aiming for something like K1000 and other similarly priced headphones, I'd do what fordgtlover suggested. Without a proper source and amplification, you will never be able to get the fullest out of your headphones.

It would be much wiser to aim for say, a $300 can paired together with some better source and amp components than spend $1000 on cans and maybe just a small portion of that on source and amplification. The potential of HD600 (for example) can seem very limited when using lower-end components, but rest assured, they can sound very convincing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back