Best Headphones For Me At Around £250?
Aug 3, 2015 at 3:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

UnsurePerson

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, 

I am someone who is not new to the hifi scene, but I am not exactly a seasoned veteran either! I am selling my Shure SE535 earphones to try and move on to some over ear headphones. I am looking for the best sound I can get for my money. I don't really want a very analytical headphone, but I do want it to not sound fuzzy or fazed out. I want them to be exciting to listen to. I have been primarily looking at 3 headphones: the PSB M4U 2's, the Sennheiser Momentums and V-Moda M100's. I am leaning towards the V-Moda's due to their supposedly exciting sound and extreme portability. Please let me know which headphone you personally think is the best out of the three, and also say any other suggestions.

I listen to lots of house, some classical and lots of pop; so basically everything. I like bass, but I am not a basshead, I just appreciate it. So please let me know what you think, thankyou!!

Aug 3, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #2 of 20
Are you strictly looking for closed backs? 

also do you have any details on amplification you plan to use or similar?

I was thoroughly disappointed by the V Moda M-100, but enjoyed the momentums, but ultimately was not impressed honestly.
I cannot comment on the PSB's because i've never heard them.

over the two of the 3 here i have tried, i ended up my modded SR80i on my way to work. a lot here will disagree that it's a good all purpose headphone, but it has its merits

Aug 3, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #3 of 20
Thankyou for the reply. Yes, I am kind of only looking for closed back as I will be taking them everywhere, including whilst travelling so I need some isolation and minimal sound leakage. I was hoping to just use them straight from my devices (an iPhone 5S and a Macbook Pro). Would I need one?? Which would you recommend (under £100 as I am on a budget!)?? Thanks

Aug 3, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #4 of 20
You should consider the Soundmagic HP-150

(Not sure about its price where you live) the Focal Spirit Classic is a very very nice (and pretty compact) headphone.

Also the NAD Viso HP-50, you should read about this too.

Best Luck!

Aug 4, 2015 at 5:36 AM Post #7 of 20
Thanks for the replies guys, I have listened to what you have recommended. For me, the NAD Viso HP50 just isn't portable enough and, in my opinion, looks a bit weird. The SoundMagic HP150 was, again, a bit too big and bulky for my tastes. As for the Beyerdynamic DT770, it doesn't fold and, like all of the headphones above, I just don't think it would have the "fun" kind of sound signature that I want when I'm getting in the mood for a rugby game etc. Do any of you know anything about the Sennheiser Momentum, PSB M4U 2's and V-Moda m100's?? I am particularly interested in the PSB M4U2 because of its comfort and clear sound. But I am also very interested in the V-Moda M100's due to their extreme portability and fun sound... Any thoughts on the 2 from anyone???

Aug 4, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #8 of 20
I have not heard the Momentums or the PSB M4U, so I can't give a comparison.

What I can do is sing my praises of the M-100. I love these cans. They are 100% fun. The details are clear, and the bass is boomy, and there are tons of accessories, and you can customize the look, and they fold up to go into a carrying case making them great for portable use. The downside? The bass--while tons of fun (for me)--is still really heavy, and might be too much for some people. The treble also has a boost, resulting in a V-shaped response.

My main cans at home are the Sennheiser HD600. Those definitely sound better than the M-100 (being open and designed for a neutral response), but the M-100 offers something different when I'm at work, and it's still pretty good at handing the details.

Aug 4, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #9 of 20
Thankyou so  much for this superjawes! Ah, that is exactly why I am leaning towards the V-Moda M100's, I am not really too worried about the exaggerated bass and the particularly non-analytical nature of them, but as long as they restore something missing from when I first heard songs! I am still not sure though, if anyone has any information on any of the 3 headphones or any suggestions, it is greatly appreciated, thankyou!

Aug 6, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #12 of 20
Anyone else?? I am getting desperate! What are the best headphones in the price range IYO????

That won't help you much. Everyone has a bit different tastes in headphones :)

It might help if you say whether you are looking for more/less bass, more/less treble, more/less mids than your SE535. Then someone that is familiar with them could offer suggestions.

Aug 6, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #13 of 20
I want a tad more bass, but not sure about anything else to be honest! I just want a sound that excites me when I listen to it, making me want to rediscover all of my music, breathing life back into songs I thought I had listened to too much..

Aug 6, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #14 of 20
I want a tad more bass, but not sure about anything else to be honest! I just want a sound that excites me when I listen to it, making me want to rediscover all of my music, breathing life back into songs I thought I had listened to too much..

Someone might be able to suggest which has more bass, but the latter part? That's really up to your individual tastes and difficult for anyone to predict. Without demoing headphones, it's gonna be hard. The only thing I can suggest is that you might consider making the move to open headphones with their bigger soundstage for more of a WOW factor. But just keep in mind that they do not provide isolation and leak sound.

Aug 6, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #15 of 20
Yeah, the lack of isolation and sound leakage is a big problem for me as I need these headphones to be portable with isolation, like on a bus. I think I am after a more exciting sound, not particularly analytical, but fun to listen to......... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back