Best headphones for listening to The Mars Volta?
Aug 28, 2006 at 11:36 PM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by phosfiend
This is a good question - as mars volta is a good testing tool for an audio setup (especially the first album). Whenever I have time to sit down with some new gear i always test with kyuss, mars volta, autechre, boards of canada, and meshuggah (among others). I have yet to find headphones that can do volta or kyuss justice - but my un-educated guess (through process of elimination) would likely be a grado or allessandro can. I've got a pair of ATH-PRO700's right now - they're clean, dry and do a good job of most genres, but shine with electronic. Consequently, the answer to your question will also likely be the answer to which will be my next listening can.

good luck, i'm curious about the answer

Even if you hate Madonna, for testing, pick up her 'Immaculate Collection'. It's only 1 CD (so don't fret if you thought you had to buy a bunch of Madonna CD's
biggrin.gif
) with most of her 80/90's stuff, but it has a HUGE, HUGE range and is what alot of my friends who compete professionally in the Car Audio ring use...

My .02 cents....or $700 canadian
wink.gif

Aug 29, 2006 at 12:22 AM Post #18 of 26
The Mars Volta sounds pretty solid in my rig with the 650.

Aug 29, 2006 at 1:12 AM Post #19 of 26
HD-650. Only because I find the recordings kinda bright and the 650 brings out the bass while taming the highs.

Oct 25, 2012 at 3:18 AM Post #22 of 26
Yamaha HPH-200.  I have been a volta fan since 2003 and imo the Yamaha's are everything Grado's should be.  Nice bass, detail and extension.  Dont forget Juan (or flea) has some awesome basslines should be considered one of the greats. 

Oct 25, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #23 of 26
Quote:
Yamaha HPH-200.  I have been a volta fan since 2003 and imo the Yamaha's are everything Grado's should be.  Nice bass, detail and extension.  Dont forget Juan (or flea) has some awesome basslines should be considered one of the greats. 

thanks i'll definitely check em out. well i checked them out I had the es10's from audio technica and I had a horrible experience with the headband design they broke too easy.. and these have a similar design any other suggestions ?

Nov 1, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #26 of 26
As its been mentioned already the Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro (250 ohm) are great for listening to The Mars Volta. I've enjoyed their music since 2004 when i was introduced to their sound by someone in the know telling me i could be one of the first people in my neighborhood to enjoy them. Too bad not everyone has as great taste and personality as he does ha ha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back