Best headphones for laptop without amplifier : HD650 K242HD K702 ?
Mar 8, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #17 of 86
I can run the K701 fine from my Macbook without an amp, but I think the AD700 is a better choice. With the K701, I sometimes found myself wanting more volume than the MB could provide.

Mar 8, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #18 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Captivate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I find interesting is that you're just "satisfied" with 125 db.

Seriously, you don't need something that loud. I don't even go past 12 on my computer volume.

I think/hope he's not actually at 125 db. I think he's just confusing the efficiency specifications with an actual output level. The only way to know what you are at db wise is to use an external meter.

Mar 8, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #19 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can run the K701 fine from my Macbook without an amp, but I think the AD700 is a better choice.

quite a few members have commented their view on "K701 from onboard sound", and while I know you champion that amplifiers are a worthless rip-off, I have to respectfully disagree, they simply need more power than a portable or soundcard can give 'em
beerchug.gif

Mar 8, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #20 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
quite a few members have commented their view on "K701 from onboard sound", and while I know you champion that amplifiers are a worthless rip-off, I have to respectfully disagree, they simply need more power than a portable or soundcard can give 'em
beerchug.gif

Yeah, I've never really understood the point of criticizing 'phones for needing an amp. And if you look at my sig, I don't own any 'phones that need an amp. But if his point is that I don't want to have to deal with an amp, then that's fine. But he seems to take it to another level and says "if a headphone needs a $300 amp, then its not a good headphone." And that's quizzical at best to me.

Mar 8, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #21 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
beerchug.gif

I'm saying they sound fine to me. If they don't sound fine to someone else, let him or her say so; that's what this forum is about. But I'm not going to pretend I haven't been able to enjoy a K701 unamped because other folks haven't.

And I've never said amplifiers are a worthless ripoff. I have said I think it's better to start with the phones you want than to try to make up for things you don't like in a phone via more expensive amps. There's more than a slight difference between the two statements.

Mar 8, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #22 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I've never really understood the point of criticizing 'phones for needing an amp. And if you look at my sig, I don't own any 'phones that need an amp. But if his point is that I don't want to have to deal with an amp, then that's fine. But he seems to take it to another level and says "if a headphone needs a $300 amp, then its not a good headphone." And that's quizzical at best to me.

I'm not trying to criticize them, its just simple truth that the 701 needs more oomph behind it than most portables can provide (my NWZ-A829 can "kind of" do it (really hate it though, because its a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter and all that), but the top end will still be over emphasized)

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky
I'm saying they sound fine to me. If they don't sound fine to someone else, let him or her say so; that's what this forum is about. But I'm not going to pretend I haven't been able to enjoy a K701 unamped because other folks haven't.

And I've never said amplifiers are a worthless ripoff. I have said I think it's better to start with the phones you want than to try to make up for things you don't like in a phone via more expensive amps. There's more than a slight difference between the two statements.

in that case, no harm, no foul, I agree you can't "create" a different 'phone with expensive amplification, but at the same time, some things can be dramatically changed, for example "hard to drive" high impedance 'phones (like HD 580/600/650) will have a bass rolloff much earlier than they should, if the amplifier isn't up to the task (and this isn't "get an expensive amp", its "get an amp that can work with the drivers you've chosen"), the K701 is somewhat similar in my experience (except its a loss of "impact and balance", instead of a low end roll-off, which is what I feel most users are calling "bass light" or "bass shy")

my point for the OP is, if he's listening at max volume because "he's a man, and men listen maxed out", thats stupid, but if he's listening at max volume because theres barely any sound coming out, some form of improved amplification is in order

Mar 8, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #23 of 86
The sound really needed to be to the maximum and it played normal then, i don't listen to heavy stuff, more deep music, by this it's even quieter...

It's for a laptop, i know there are compact amplifiers but the purpose of a laptop is laid back in your seat with only headphones, no extra stuff connected, want to stay mobile, not too heavy like a desktop. So the best headphones with least to drive & best soundquality.

I guess I have to leave the real audiophile headphones from €250 and above cause they are made for amplifiers, midrange is my choice then for mobile mp3 listening
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 8, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #24 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by innovator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes I understand but it's for a laptop, i know there are compact amplifiers but the purpose of a laptop is laid back in your seat with only headphones, no extra stuff connected, want to stay mobile, not to heavy like a desktop. So the best headphones with least to drive & best soundquality.

I guess I have to leave the real audiophile headphones from €250 and above cause they are made for amplifiers, midrange is my choice then for mobile mp3 listening
smily_headphones1.gif

Sennheiser HD 595 perhaps, but it really depends on what you're listening to, what your listening habits are like, etc

there are portable amplifiers as well, check the portable board

Mar 8, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #30 of 86
If you want headphones with out amp...

1. RS-1
2. GMP 8.35 D Monitor
3. M-50
4. HD-25ll

Basically any monitor headphones around 25-40 ohms will do a good job with out an external amp.
But...they only can benefit form any amp, from sound card to pro SS amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back