Best Headphones for Jpop and a Bit of Classical?
Jun 22, 2013 at 12:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Aracconan

New Head-Fier
Hello, 

So recently I've decided to buy a new set of headphones, but I'm not quite sure which one will best suit my preferences. 

The factors that I'm considering are (from top to bottom in terms of priority):

1. Really good sound quality on female vocals; light, warm, and organic
2. Good sound quality of orchestras, especially piano and strings
3. Sort of weird to describe, like a pair of headphones that I can turn the volume up, and it'll fill my head like if I was in the recording studio 
bigsmile_face.gif
 (Would this be referred to as having a big sound stage? I've seen that term a few times in the forums). 
4. Comfort 

I should also note that an exceptional bass is not a factor I'm considering (since it's not really important in Jpop/classical)

Examples of what I listen to: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i67ZXLPeg9s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HyCUr95LEU

So far from looking around the forums, I've seen a few recommendations: 

1. Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9A
2. Audio Technica AD900x
3. Audio Technica ATH-M50
4. AKG Q701
5. AKG K601 
6. Sennheiser HD 598 

I'm wondering, among these, which would be the best for my preferences? Also, if there's another headphone that's not listed here, but is also really good, please don't hesitate to recommend. 

Thanks! 

EDIT: Through a bit more research, I've found that the Audio ATH ESW9A and the AD900x are probably my best options right now cause I can find deals on them. Which of the two would be better? (Unfortunately, I can't expand my budget for the HD  650)

Jun 22, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #2 of 3
Alright, that M50 is severely out of place there, M50 is the farthest cans I'd want to hear JPop with. I suggest HD650 if you can stretch your budget or find good deal of it, it can be supremely blissful for female voice if you like the warm kind

Jun 22, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #3 of 3
Audio Technica ATH-A900X.
Digbuy is selling them for $154.99, plus tax & shipping.
I paid $256 for mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back